HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2008, 03:15 AM
Joined Apr 2008
5 Posts
Discussion
Estes air force one

Hi guys, ive been lurking around the forum but havent been postin anything i dun think..., anyways ive got an estes air force one (stock), yea crappy cheap one, looked really cool at first, but once i flew it for the first time , i was extremely dissapointed. Its been sitting here in my room since March or April now and i just want to fly it but the problem is i never got it to fly the first couple times it just goes and hits the ground. I want to do a conversion but just simply dont have $$ or time, i wish someone could do it for me but i live in toronto, ontario , well close to it. Im just wondering what i should do to get this thing off the ground. Some people with this plane fly it soo easly with its stock setup but i seriously cant, some guy suggested that i move the battery pack a bit backwards to balance out the weight, and amazingly it flew but only climbed a bit then nose dived seconds after. Another guy suggested i buy upgrade the battery, people have flown this plane so its not lacking power. What should i do? If anyone in the area can do some set up for me get all the supplys needed, i will be glad to pay them (if reasonable price). Thanks to everyone email me at khmer_4life@hotmail.com
angkor101 is offline Find More Posts by angkor101
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2008, 09:50 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
R/C really isn't a hobby to get into if you don't have any time/money and can't do relatively simple conversions.

The cheapest real radio conversion I could imagine would be at least $150 (including radio) for Radio, ESC's, Servos and hardware, and that would be a simple Aileron/Elevator or Elevator/Rudder. A more realistic Budget would be $300 - $400, including radio.

Cheaping out in the short term also costs more in the long run.

For example, if you are so cheap you want to use the 9.6V factory Nimh batteries/charger, you'll need to buy a Nimh ESC.

If at some point in the future, you want to use, lighter, more powerful Lipos (11.1 Volts vs 9.6 Volts), you'll need new a new Lipo compatible ESC, too so you don't wreck your new $15-20 batteries.

Buying a cheap 4 channel radio will work, too, but if you want to eliminate the planes tendency for power on nose up and power off nose down, a computerized radio, for a little more money will allow you to mix the elevator with the throttle and eliminate the rudder servo (by adding a 2nd ESC for differential thrust rudder control)

The Estes 747 is a great plane to convert to real radio, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone with no money or time.

There are very few R/C planes I would recommend to someone with no money or time.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:24 AM
Joined Apr 2008
5 Posts
thanks for the reply, i will look into converting it definately but i need someone to either give me highly detailed instructions , where to get the items needed or, i will give someone $$ to just do it for me
angkor101 is offline Find More Posts by angkor101
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:51 PM
Napa County - Bay Area
Joined Sep 2003
182 Posts
e-mail sent. Hope to give you some detailed assistance on this.

Richard
KA6IPK is offline Find More Posts by KA6IPK