HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2004, 04:26 AM
speedchaser
Brighton, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
167 Posts
Question
About Rumrunner's Setup...

Does anyone know what the setup (I only know from the pics that it's a rigger) was for Rumrunnerracing's record breaking run? I've gone to the website many times and even tried many s.e queries, but can't find any 'defacto' info. Maybe it's 'classified' and know one's allowed to know or say...
Cheers
speedchaser is offline Find More Posts by speedchaser
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2004, 07:29 AM
Joined Nov 2001
247 Posts
What record????

Quote:
Rumrunnerracing's record breaking run?
Unless you know something the rest of us don't, they do not have any record breaking riggers.
The 102 MPH straight line speed record was set by the JAG's team. They have nothing to do with Rum Runner.
Climate is offline Find More Posts by Climate
Old Oct 22, 2004, 01:57 PM
speedchaser
Joined Sep 2004
167 Posts
Right... Appologies to all concerned - only rrr being a racing team as well as a website gave me this impression; thanks for putting me strait. Genuine mistake - but what was the setup?
Last edited by speedchaser; Oct 22, 2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 02:53 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
It's easy enough to get confused with the bulletin board and commercial activities, especially as the boat's driver, Joerg, is also a Rumrunner member The truth is that they have not been very forthcoming with the information we'd like to hear, but its obvious that a great deal of time and effort was spent getting those results. The cells were hnad picked, the esc virtually a prototype and the prop was tweaked so much as to be unrecognisable. The motor was a Lehner, I seem to remember. But who cares? Most of us would have problems handling a boat half as fast.
There's talk of 140 mph at this years event. We'll have to wait and see.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Oct 22, 2004, 04:31 PM
Joined Nov 2001
247 Posts
Interesting

It is interesting how through all the hype, the truth is buried so deep that nobody knows who's who, or even who did what record.
It is the Trinity syndrome all over again. " Hype it up so much, that eventually everyone believes it's true."

Quote:
Joerg, is also a Rumrunner member
Not that I know of.
He has won the trophy RR put up as a prize for any boat that ran faster than 120MPH, but he is not a member of the RR team.

As I understand it, RR will not even be running at the NAMBA SAW's this year.
I could be wrong, but that is what all the people in the know seem to be saying.

Peter R.
Climate is offline Find More Posts by Climate
Old Oct 22, 2004, 06:17 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,599 Posts
I detect some resentment here. Don't know why.

Joerg is a member of the Rum Runner Forums and also a Moderator there.

Joerg is not a member of the actual Rum Runner team. He is just good friends with them.

Team Rum Runner is not participating at the SAW's this year due to a schedule conflict. They will be participating; and sponsoring classes at the National's in Florida instead:

http://216.120.233.47/FloridaHighVol...4_sponsors.htm
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:26 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
My wrong Kmot. I seemed to remember he was elected to the team after his 100 mph run, but see he is just a moderator now. In any case, I hope you get to go to the SAW's again so we can all enjoy the videos, whatever board users prefer, red or blue.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Oct 23, 2004, 07:37 AM
speedchaser
Joined Sep 2004
167 Posts
Anyway - I found out that the Jag's team used 32 hand-picked Kopf cells (info on a website, sorry, didn't note-down the url....) and that, yes (m.r) 'The motor was a Lehner'. That's all I found out, nothing on prop size, etc... The prototype esc info is interesting, maybe one set/designed for maximum rpm only (?), i.e. virtually on/off operation with very little (just a guess...) actual 'speed control' so to speak.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:51 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,599 Posts
OK, don't hold me to this, but "as I recall" from last year the esc was the prototype for the newest Schulze which has since become a production item. And the batteries were GP3300's which were pushed by Hopf. The prop was hand modified by Jag. The motor, IIRC, was a production Lehner.

The hull was the 2002 model which was brought out of reserve when the 2003 model he was attempting the record in got wrecked in a crash.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:16 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
The 120.7mph average run of Joerg's setup was conservative.. the boat could easily bust 130 or more .. the none aggressive setup left the motor and batteries only warm.. not even near hot... if pushed to the max its possible to hit over 140...the prop is a custom made stainless steel 1945 prop audio tach readings of 48k on the record run... the motor is a LMT 32250/7 he used a Schultze 32.170 esc... and dont forget he used a piano wire drive .. which has become more the norm .. Im doing testing with titainum in 2mm dia's thus far the low mass has shown some big advantages over cable drives.
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Old Oct 25, 2004, 03:56 AM
speedchaser
Joined Sep 2004
167 Posts
Sorry... Hopf cells then....