HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:55 AM
Joined Aug 2014
118 Posts
Discussion
FMS MOA 1st impressions

Well, I got sick the same day I received my FMS MOA 1500mm so I wasn't able to post anything about it.

I finally felt well enough to assemble it yesterday. It was well packed with no damage except a slight scrape on the top of the foam canopy. I re-sprayed it with black and you can't tell it was ever scraped.

The wings are 2 piece, which is good because it has a 59 inch wingspan. Unlike the Adagio which I also own, the servo leads are long enough that it is easy to remove and replace the wings. Also the connectors are the JST type which are easy to connect. The vertical stab is molded into the fuse and the horizontal stab screws on.

The recommended CG is 52 - 58 mm, so I went with 55mm. Positioning the battery made balancing simple.

Over all, a very easy 'build", but I plan to replace the clevises because they are pretty cheap. The leading edge of the wings had a slight bit of flashing from the mold so I buffed it lightly with sandpaper. Everything else seemed ok.

This morning I took it and the Adagio to the soccer field where I fly. I wanted to compare the flight characteristics of both.

As I expected, the MOA is the better glider. It has a 59 inch span and 301sq in of area vs. the Adagio 56 in span and less area. The MOA is slightly heavier though.

The MOA 1st flight was impressive. At 3/4 throttle, it flew out of my hand with just a slight push. No tendency to sag on takeoff. At about 200 ft. I cut back to 1/2 throttle. It was still climbing but not as aggressively. At 1/4 throttle, it would maintain level flight indefinitely. Time to glide test. With no power, I had to dial in 3 clicks of up elevator. Nice glide characteristics. Better than the Adagio but not all that much. Maybe the additional weight is a factor, but it's obvious to me that this plane will thermal better than the Adagio. Not as well as the Radian Pro of course, but pretty good. Of course the Adagio is faster.

I limited the flights of both planes to 6 minutes motor run. My unscientific results are the MAO had 3.82 volts per cell remaining and the Adagio had 3.75 per cell. Probably because I could fly the MOA with less throttle.

So I think the MOA may be able to fly longer on a charge., especially if you can find thermals.

Landing was interesting. The MOA doesn't have flaps but could use them. Once into ground effect, it doesn't want to land.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the MOA. Not bad for $109 PNP and a $29 Spektrum 4 channel receiver.
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
Last edited by JWDen; Oct 10, 2014 at 07:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2014, 03:16 PM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
I flew mine for the first time today and successfully broke the nose and a wing due to the plane being very erratic in the air. I'm wondering if I have way to much deflection on the ailerons. How much do you have programmed in to yours?
mjcmyers is offline Find More Posts by mjcmyers
Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM
Joined Aug 2014
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcmyers View Post
I flew mine for the first time today and successfully broke the nose and a wing due to the plane being very erratic in the air. I'm wondering if I have way to much deflection on the ailerons. How much do you have programmed in to yours?

Sorry to hear that. Might want to recheck your COG while you're at it. I have had a couple of near disasters flying with the COG too far back.
And forgive me for asking, but did you reverse the aileron, elevator and rudder in the transmitter set up menu? Sometimes people fail to check that.

To answer your question, I think (??) I have about 70 % of full throw and 30 % expo. I also have aileron and rudder mixed. Maybe 20% rudder?? ...... OK, I didn't want to give you bad info, so I just checked and what I wrote is correct. I may also have input 2 to 4 clicks of trim on the ailerons and elevator on my first flight. Maybe a couple on the rudder. I always go back and adjust the control linkage after trimming so can fly with my trim switches centered. Makes life easier.

At those settings it flew pretty well, not erratic at all. But it doesn't take much aileron , just enough to bank it and then use a little elevator to turn it.

Also, I almost never fly WOT unless I'm in a steep climb for altitude. . That may make a difference.

I think the MOA is more forgiving then the Adagio and has a better glide. Also, it's slower than the Adagio which makes it a little easier to control. .
Last edited by JWDen; Yesterday at 02:53 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply. I figure it's one of two things, a bad receiver acting up or I measured the cg wrong and it was way off. I'm running a 1300ma 2s battery, should it be all the way forward in the battery bay?
mjcmyers is offline Find More Posts by mjcmyers
Old Today, 12:39 AM
Joined Aug 2014
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcmyers View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. I figure it's one of two things, a bad receiver acting up or I measured the cg wrong and it was way off. I'm running a 1300ma 2s battery, should it be all the way forward in the battery bay?
I am using the same battery as you. I have mine all the way back in the bay. Could be the receiver. I used one from an old plane (Archer) that I don't fly anymore. The ESC crapped out on it. Hope you figure it out because its a pretty nice flying plane.