HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Hi, guys.

I finally got a chance to try my new battery. So...

With a NTM 35-42 motor, 14X8 prop, and Rhino 2150 30C battery; I had to reduce my throttle throw to stay under 50 amps and she still climbs, vertically, as high as I like in about 15 seconds! I got in about 20 minutes with three climbs, plus a few short bursts to add energy, and then used up the rest of the battery doing aerobatics. Vertical rolls are simply beautiful!

I sure hope that Nitroplanes stocks this plane again because I really want to get an extra airframe for parts.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Ugly wood.

Well? I got tired of looking at my lumpy wings and the rain keeps falling so I tore into said wings.

Talk about ugly! I don't know what kind of wood they are sheeted with but I'm almost certain it's not balsa. It's hard and brittle and has a weird 3/4 grain to it. It seems strong and the glue joints are decent but it's still of very poor quality. Some is green, some is split, some is warped, and one wing has a huge knot in the main top sheet. In short; the wings were pieced together with cutting room scraps. The surface finish is atrocious but I have to admire the skill of the people tasked with building wings from a box of scraps.

All that being said; I don't think they will be that hard to fix up. Most of the effort will be simply sanding. It looks like there are two places where I will have to add a bit of balsa and I will add some reinforcement with skyloft and CA. The best part is that I think I can refine the airfoil enough that I won't really need flaps. I would just as soon not add any extra weight but I think I'll extend the ailerons inboard a bit to see if it reacts better to camber. I'm also going to start out with the new ailerons only rough shaped to see if I want to alter their profile before I cover them.

Cheers!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 09:11 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
The project is progressing nicely. I was able to glue, fill, and sand all but one small imperfection. I had to soak the sheeting to raise the grain anyway so I made a jig to hold the wings straight, with a little washout, and hope that will kill the remaining warps. By morning i should have two mostly straight wings with a little washout. At least I hope they are close enough that I can fine tune them when I cover them.

Cheers!
Old May 14, 2014, 05:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
She flies!

Well. I ended up adding some sheeting to the bottom of the left wing and the top of the right wing to get the profile right. The knot I simply filled with CA and reinforced with some Skyloft. I also added a fixed portion of trailing edge where the wing meets the winglets. So far so good.

I must admit I was a bit nervous about the first launch because I still ended up kinda hoping that all the warps would balance out. It rolled a bit to the right on launch but I was able to trim out the ailerons fairly easily but then it started acting weird. I couldn't seem to pull the nose up or pull it through a turn. That's because my elevator servo failed! I was really, really, lucky. It failed with about 1 degree of up elevator and will still move down so, after a very flat approach, I was able to set it down just a bit hot. I knocked off one winglet but no other damage.

I wasn't really able to explore the whole flight envelope before the servo failed but my initial impression is that the stall is a bit more benign. I'm hopeful that I will get a chance to ring it out tomorrow with a new elevator servo.

Cheers!
Old May 14, 2014, 06:19 PM
United States, CT, Waterford
Joined Jul 2012
191 Posts
Hi Peter-
Son of a gun- I had the same thing happen to me last November. I was preparing to make a whistling hot low pass when something seemed wrong. It took me what seemed like a few seconds to figure it out that the elevator servo died and I was only up about 100'.
I panicked. I should have thrown on the spoilerons to slow and calm things. Instead i ended up making a very hot straight landing in a freshly plowed corn field. Luckily the only damage was some(more) fuselage cracking. That's the 2nd or 3rd servo I've replaced on mine.
Now I've upgraded to $10 servos

Your plane is look'in good
Take care
Tom
TomTerrific is online now Find More Posts by TomTerrific
Old May 14, 2014, 07:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Thanks, Tom. If I ever get more than 1 flight in a day I might even add the fuselage decals.

This is the first HKT 900 I've had fail and now that I think about it I think I broke it when I knocked the tail against the door frame. When I plugged in the battery it went to center and moved the right direction but I didn't really check it like I should have. My guess is that it would have given me some warning if I had wiggled the arm vigorously. Still; having a elevator servo fail in flight and getting away with minimal damage means I must be living right!
Old May 15, 2014, 05:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Woo-hoo! I got in three flights with no mishaps. Now I'm starting to wonder if the elevator servo was going bad for awhile because I had to increase the expo on the elevator to kill my tendency to porpoise and I snapped out of my first two attempted loops. I'm not sure exactly which improvements did the trick but, unless I simply try to fly too slow, I would say that the tip stall problem is now no worse than my foam ASW28 with half the wing loading.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 04:16 PM
Joined Jul 2012
191 Posts
Well- this threads been quite for a while... Anyone still flying their Mini-Ventus/Superglider?

I had some fun with mine today.
A few weeks ago I burnt out my old motor - an e-flite 15 & 14x7 prop. Yes, it was over prop'd and the summer heat did it in. I spent some time resoldering but it ended up agoner. Yesterday installed an HK NTM3548-1100 motor with an HK 11x7 prop. Also added a cooling vent & scoop.
Now she goes practically vertical and comes down cool after 3 1-minute runs to a height of about 1000 feet. Of coarse, have to keep the speed up to prevent that nasty tip stall. But still, it was fun hunting for thermals, doing some crazy loops & rolls, and high speed whistling passes. Ya, she looks good in the air with her long skinny wings too!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Nice to hear from you, Tom. I got a 44 minute thermal flight with the "SG 1000" a couple weeks ago. I had absolutely perfect conditions with a light wind blowing strong thermals off the freeway. It was almost like slope flying. I just fly parallel to the freeway and take a turn or two when I hit a good patch.

Cheers!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:31 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerrific View Post
But still, it was fun hunting for thermals, doing some crazy loops & rolls, and high speed whistling passes. Ya, she looks good in the air with her long skinny wings too!
Mine is still in the box, waiting for this winter to build it up, wish I could get after it sooner, but I've got two 4 meters to build... Glad to hear these make nice noises on whistling passes!

Cheers, Thompson
studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:25 AM
Joined Jul 2012
191 Posts
Hi Guys- nice to hear from you. Sure sounds like you've got you hands full Thompson. Wow- that's a helluva flight Peter.
Dis ain't no lazy backyard boys easy glider... you've got to try and keep up with its high speed antics.
Happy Soaring (or building)
Tom
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Thanks, Tom. I was pretty impressed with myself but the fact remains that it's a pretty good flier if there's enough lift. Still, if my scratch build turns out as well as I hope, I might build a new set of wings over the winter. I'm pretty sure that I can save some weight, get a better mount/joiner system, and even increase the area a bit as well as get a more accurate profile.

Cheers!
Old Sep 01, 2014, 08:15 AM
Joined Jul 2012
191 Posts
Yes Peter- that's makes sence. Right away it was impressive how strong the stock skinny wings were built. But, they are heavy so I would guess it must? have lots of hardwood? I'm imagining your thinking a rebuild would include more carbon fiber rods to save weight. Assuming lighter weight would improve its thermalling characteristics.

This winter if I have time I need to find out why mine needs allot of aileron trim. Also, it does a mean snap roll at the top of a loop. So I'm thinking I've got some wing and stabilizer issues to work on too.

Take Care,
Tom
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:16 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of wood they use. It doesn't look, feel, or even smell quite like balsa but it's very strong. Unfortunately it also weighs a ton and once it takes a bend or warp there isn't much you can do about it. My guess is that they use it to overcome the Chinese mass production techniques and, as always, keep things cheap.

A carefully constructed all balsa wing would end up lighter and adding a bit of CF would improve the strength to weight ratio. But? I think that a foam core wing might be the route I go because I would rather cut foam cores than all those ribs. Even if I don't save a whole lot of weight I would like to see how she performs with an accurate airfoil from root to tip and a little washout.

Cheers!
Old Sep 01, 2014, 09:11 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
I have already drafted in DevWing a 2,6m DG-1000 wing, should have laser cut files in the near future. Might offer as a replacement kit for these.
studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS