HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2013, 02:18 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Apr 2009
11 Posts
Do we have any useful information regarding the Robart Electric conversion kits?
Where i am heading is converting a set of Sierra Precision .60 rotators (P-40/Corsair) to electric. Most conversions (Lado/Wingspan) won't work due to the design of the Sierra's.
However, information is scarce around the Robart kits, i.e. nothing is published about the dimensions and stroke lengths of the robart kits. Anyone have any knowledge?
The Brads is offline Find More Posts by The Brads
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2013, 03:45 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,670 Posts
I think Down and Locked does robart electrics. You might try going directly to them and bypass robart. I'd be interested in hearing what you find out. I have some sierra's going in my TF corsair.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:56 AM
Aviation Maintenance Manager
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Dec 2012
312 Posts
Gents, I know this is a little old thread, but i have been working/using Robarts 630RSEs. One thing I found out with these is you really have to have a strong battery to run them. Dedicated battery is a must in my humble opinion. Specs says 6~9V. 2S Lipo would be perfect. I say 2000mAh and up and at least 25C. They need a lot of power but works great when they have the juice.

I always have a good experience with Robart as long as you talk to Justin or Doug. they are always very helpful and have gone above and beyond. There is another guy there, I just wont mention his name but he's not as helpful and sometimes condescending.
carrera mike is offline Find More Posts by carrera mike
Last edited by carrera mike; May 30, 2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 11:11 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
I do not know if my setup is underperforming and was hoping you all could help me out.
Would followers of this thread post what size batteries they are using and how many cycles they are comfortably getting out of each battery?

My first few cycles are strong, then the whole system seems to bog down and slows considerably.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Jan 03, 2014, 12:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
312 Posts
installed Lipo 2S 3800mah, 10C for this Robart 630RSE controler(which is made by Down and lock) on my Zero(89" ws ESM) yesterday and will use this after a lot of trials with different batteries. I attached a load meter yesterday while cycling the gear. voltage would drop minutely from 8.4 to 8.2 momentarily but that was it. I did about 10 cycles and the battery remanied at 97% capacity as per my load meter which is a Futaba BR-3000.

Will report in a month if we get a break from this weather and have good flying days.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 05:17 PM
Joined Dec 2012
312 Posts
Found out that the Robart electric retracts performs better with more powerfull batteries. The specs say 6 to 9V requirements. So instead of taking power from the RX/Servo 6.6V LIFE, I installed a dedicated LiPO 7.4V 3600Mah. They sure cycle uch better and without hesitations.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 05:19 PM
Joined Dec 2012
312 Posts
and to protect the Lipo from vibrations, applied some cushioning around it with just rubber bands so its still removable.

Im just nervous charging Lipo while in the aircraft. Maybe as long as its low current charging its ok?

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 05:23 PM
Joined Jan 2008
69 Posts
Good Day Gents!
I am looking for some advice on the Robart electric retracts. Recently I used the conversion kit for the 1/5 scale P-47 Robart retracts . The install was quite easy and had the plane out today to see how they would work. I had an additional NiH battery plugged into the control unit. Gear retracted nice and extended on landing. No problems. When I touched down I needed to turn left near the end of my roll out , I noticed as I came into the pit area the starboard gear was in 5 degrees or so inwards. When I investigated it looks like the guide on the treaded shaft worked its way out of the two trunion blocks( see pic). Now the landing was smooth but I needed to put in a hard left near the end but not as hard as I have done before on the air setup . Is this a design problem with the electric retracts. I looks to me ( will need to take them apart and measure) but the two trunion guide pins may not be parallel and thus would give a little room for the guide to pop out . I am going to send this pic into Robart to get their take on this. After spending over $600 on the gear with conversion kit I was hoping these would be rugged gear. They look the part but now I do not know. I look forward to your thoughts on this. Regards Tero T in Toronto
21onen is online now Find More Posts by 21onen
Old Aug 10, 2014, 06:34 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,670 Posts
A buddy with the FW190 had the exact same problem on his, multiple times. His went back to robart 4 times. He eventually sold the plane.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Aug 13, 2014, 01:21 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
...not what I was hoping to hear.
I have had some on and off problems with mine, damn I just hope they will hold up!
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Aug 21, 2014, 06:39 AM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined May 2005
603 Posts
Here is what I learned.

Follow the manual on wiring
Use a 7.4 2S 25C min pack (1000mah -2000mah)
use good quality HD servo extensions from the gear to the box

What I found on a used set that had issues

Cheap extensions that seemed to be 22AWG wire
Corrosion on pins that connected to the controller

IF your gonna put some voltage to them and the need power, don't use cheap servo extensions and used wiring/connectors that hasn't been inspected. I changed all these items out and haven't had an issue since.
DbleX is offline Find More Posts by DbleX
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:06 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Hello, I have the 631 RSE 85* retracts I have only had three issues out of them and all my fault. First issue was I cycled them when I first got them and the grub screw buggered the threads on the actuator. Luckily I was able to trace the threads with a die once I got the actuator out of the frame. Problem 2 was, many flights later when I accidentally plugged the leads to the actuators in to the flaps instead of the control box. As soon as I turned on the plane rx, the gear deployed I was confused as to why and while I was trying to figure out why I, should have immediately turned it back off. By the time I figured out what was going on the actuators were fried. I had to purchase a new set from Robart. Problem 3 happened when I plugged in my aux battery either in the rx port or the aux batt port backwards. (I can't remember which port it was, I do remember it was reverse polarity. I was using a JST connector not a standard servo connector). This burned up the control box instantly! I had to order another one. All of the occurrences happened when either I was in a hurry and or distracted (people asking me about my plane). I have about 37 flights on this plane and who knows how many cycles on the gear probably twice as many. I am running a 2s lipo from Hobby zone. It's only 300mAh. I used it to test the set up and it worked so well I just decided to keep using it. It's so light and small it is held in the plane with Velcro. I flew it twice this past weekend and the battery is a 4.14 per cell. I did use HD servo leads extensions to the retract form the control box which I leave plugged in all the time. Meaning when I take my wing off it goes with it.

Question: What are people using for a gear door sequencer? I am using a DX8 transmitter right now. I have set up a mix so that I can flip the gear switch and once the gear is retracted I flip my Aux 2 switch and it closes the gear doors. but if I flip the gear switch to deploy the gear it also opens the doors at the same time. I know the DX18 has a sequencer built in but I really don't want to buy one as of yet. Thanks
Name: IMG_1035.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 632.7 KB
Description:
Name: IMG_1037.jpg
Views: 10
Size: 706.1 KB
Description:
md_cobra is offline Find More Posts by md_cobra
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:09 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown