Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:16 AM
Minnetonka Minnesota
Joined Aug 2007
1,196 Posts
Video
Director finished

Seeing if I can link the video.

http://s326.beta.photobucket.com/use..._0116.mp4.html

This is the director for the 1:35 scale DD that I am building (for years). I have completed the director as can be seen on video. I am able to point it in any direction that I want. It can rotate any number of revolutions in either direction. It will turn the shorter of the two directions to reach the new position.

It is operated by a 5v, 7.5 deg unipolar stepper motor with a 6:1 timing pulley and belt (.625 degrees per half step).

It uses a Phidget 4 motor driver, I'll use all 4 controllers, 1 for the director, 1 for A and B, 1 for C, 1 for D and E turrets.

I learned C++ and used visual C++ . Modified the simple stepper controller program to function as I want it to.

The three turret ranges will get the current pointing position from the director and, if it pointer is within the turrets allowed range (rotational) the turret will turn to match. A and B 225 to 135, C 45 to 135 and 225 and 315, D 45 to 315.

The pivots (vertical axles are tubes, 3/8" ID, large enough for servo plug). The turrets will have servo to elevate the guns. The program will switch the three turret ranges between the phidget servo controller (elevation angle) and a constant pulse that keeps guns elevated to 0 degrees. So when the turret is active its gun will elevate to the elevation desired, but when the turret is inactive it will go to it's zero rotation position and the gun will return to zero elevation.

Cap
capricorn is offline Find More Posts by capricorn
Last edited by capricorn; Mar 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:47 AM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,222 Posts
That's very cool Cap. I see you have been working on the destroyer in the background. Don't know if you noticed we have an additional forum dedicated to home brew electronics. Your efforts would certainly be appreciated in there too.

Glad to see you back on the destroyer. ......You know how much we like the pics.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Last edited by pops52; Mar 19, 2013 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Another spelling snafu
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:45 AM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,847 Posts
Very nice job! Have something like that in my future with a WWII German DD.
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:14 AM
Minnetonka Minnesota
Joined Aug 2007
1,196 Posts
Hi Pops, you may recall the first mechanical director design, with a vertical shaft a few years ago, and then the second one, with a horizontal shaft, that I put in and actually got to operate, all be it unreliably. That piece of robe goldbert has been removed and is sitting in a box, it's shown in the picture along with the vacant space that I can use for a battery and wire. I'll get some more recent pictures, I haven't actually done much on it for a year or so.

Ken, how big is your german DD going to be? I hope you make operating turrets, you'll probably have it together and operating long before I get close to done with this project.

By the way, the director is plugged to the laptop. However it "can" link through a wireless network connection, I have the SBC unit and am learning how to use it now. At least to start I'll leave the motors (propulsion) and steering on a RC connection and operate the accesories via wireless.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:45 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,603 Posts
Hi capricorn,

This is xlnt! You should do a full build thread of the electronics on the "Homebrew hacks" section that pops was referring to, it's a perfect subject.

Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:01 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,450 Posts
Cap! nice to see you again. Cool idea I was wondering what happened to your tin can. Nice to see it is getting ever closer to being finished. Mine, of course, is still stalled for budget (not a lot of work and some health problems so no money), but still have the plans and ideas (some of which I got from you) though.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:22 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,847 Posts
It's 1:100 scale, roughly 4 feet. It will be a long way in my future. I have 2 other boats to build before I get to it. But I already have an Arduino that I will be playing with programming. I intend to also have the forward and aft turrets train in sync. Will probably have something as the master and the others will train accordingly depending on position. At least that is my plan for now.
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:38 PM
Minnetonka Minnesota
Joined Aug 2007
1,196 Posts
Thx Blutoh I will go over to the other section, it look interesting. I don't recall seeing it before but it's been a while. Come on Foo you've got to get moving you are moving slower than me and that's not easy ! Ken, 4 ft sounds about right, will take some fore-thought, even as big as this one (120"), the A and E turret drives will be though to install (fasten to bottom of deck through hatch opng). Cap
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:12 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,608 Posts
Nice stuff, Cap! Keep 'em coming!
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:51 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,108 Posts
Smooth!
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:19 PM
Minnetonka Minnesota
Joined Aug 2007
1,196 Posts
thanks chuck and jerome, i moved over to the other section (homebrew hacks). Cap