HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Jan 2009
130 Posts
Discussion
Remember the Buzz C engine

I inherited this Buss C engine wayback when. It has seen some rough use as the top fins have been broken. It does seem to have good compression. Does anyone have any experience in running these engines. It was more tha likely ran on glow as the points are missing. It may have been sold new as a glow engine w/o the points. I remember there adds and at one time was thinking about buying one as the price was low. Logair
logair8452 is offline Find More Posts by logair8452
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:02 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,137 Posts
Well the Buzz Motors Company made the Buzz "C" motor in the .342 cubic Inch displacement as a gas ignition engine in 1948. In 1949 they converted it to Glow. But usually the 1949 models had a front end that wasn't machined for a ignition timer unit. Plus the glow model was setup for a 1/4x32 glow plug, and had no built in fuel tank hanging on below the intake tube and needle. Apparently, America's Hobby Center used to advertise them a lot.

My take on it, is to not run the engine as it only has two screws holding the cylinder head on, and there is some risk of the engine blowing its top off because of that. But if you do run the engine, use only FAI fuel, no nitromethane in the fuel and use 80% methanol to 20% castor oil. That would minimize the risk. You might even want to run more oil at maybe 25% oil to 75% methanol too.

Now I have forgotten what prop to use, but if I remember right, the engines tended to run at a fairly leisurely rate. Thus it may have been a 11x6 or 11x7 prop on it at the time. But I could be mistaken after all these years. I was a kid at the time and someone gave me a BUZZ C engine to use at the time. I tried it and I wasn't impressed by it. I liked the McCoy .35 engines or the more expensive Fox 35 engines even more. But it got me through a few weekends of control line flying when I didn't have another engine at the time.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Dec 15, 2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Jan 2009
130 Posts
earlwb

Good info. I would only run the engine just for the experience. Most likely not. Thanks Logair
logair8452 is offline Find More Posts by logair8452
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,534 Posts
Earl

According to Anderson's the Buzz engines were made for AHC by the Judson Company. The were originally ignition engines but went to glow in 1949 and were referred to as "slag" engines. The cylinders were aluminum with no liner. Wore out very quickly.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:49 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,137 Posts
At the time I didn't know any better. But it seemed to work OK for me, pretty weak on power though. I didn't use it all that much before I got a better engine. I had my mother sell off a lot of my stuff when I was in the USMC, so it disappeared at that time. So maybe I just got lucky.

But an aluminum cylinder works OK in the K&B Sportster series, except they use a chromed aluminum piston though. So it may be doable if the cylinder has the correct aluminum alloy. Then the utlility gas engines of today all have something similar to a aluminum bore in their cylinders too, with some kind of a silicon/iron coating that wears well too. So it might look like all aluminum but there might be coating or something on the cylinder walls.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:31 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
aluminum bore in their cylinders too, with some kind of a silicon/iron coating that wears well too. So it might look like all aluminum but there might be coating or something on the cylinder walls.
"Nickasil" (sp) is one trade name. It is a nickle plating with silicon carbide in it. It has to be honed with a diamond hone. A regular stone won't touch it. I wish all the model engine MFG's would use it.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:41 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,165 Posts
It's 'Nikasil', Ken.

And yes, it is a very hard electro-deposited coating that very rarely wears through.

It is, however, sensitive to sulfur in the fuel, which made engines that used it unusable in some countries, in which gasoline contains sulfur in too great a PPM value.

Sulfur simply eats this nickel composite for breakfast...
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon