Great information keep up the good work and get some video soon
Awe the best Joe
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:56 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Just received notification that the HK 450 v2 heli is now in stock in UK warehouse at $31.08 + $11.00 shipping this is about 28.00 delivered if you live in uk
Ospreyman is offline Find More Posts by Ospreyman
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:18 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Here are pdf drawings of the side frames. They should be ok to print off and will be to scale. Best check mounting holes on heli frames to be sure though
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:21 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
A few more detailed pics of the Autogyro:
Pic 1: this shows the underside and how various bits and pieces fit together. You can see that the 6mm CF tube 'keel' is simply bound with cf tows and cyanoed to the 8mm o.d. axle support tube, likewise to the short piece of 8mm tube accross the front GF side frames.

Short pieces of 6mm CF tube are cyanoed between the side frames ( half way up) and the battery tray is drilled with small hole either side of where the tubes lay and tie wrapped on. the length of these short pieces is dictated by the width of the heli main frame

The mounting for the rudder/nosewheel is cyanoed to the keel tube. Pushrod to the nosewheel runs to the top of the servo output arm, the rudder to the bottom. RX is servo taped to the underside of the battery tray.

Pic 2: Shows the top side of the GF battery tray with velcro stuck on good view of the CF tow lashing to the front keel support too.

Pi 3: Shows the front wheel steering and is self explanatory. A pal of mine cnc cut the bits but it shouldn't be too hard to cut and file something that will do the same job

Pic 4: Shows the rudder servo

Pic 5: Shows one main wheel, foam, 2.5" light as poss the lightweight wheel 'collets' are the centre bushes supplied with APC props ( you don't throw them out do you?) just cyanoed on, one inside the wheel and one outside.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:29 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Here are a few measurements of different component parts

Keel: 6mm CF tube 620mm long

Axle: 6mm CF tube 330mm long

Axle Support: 8mm CF tube ( 6mm i.d.) 140mm long

Battery tray: 1.5mm GF sheet 38mm x 170mm

Battery tray supports: 6mm CF tube 50mm long

Front keel support: 8mm CF tube 50mm long

All tail section as per minimum
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:55 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
4 blade, 3 blade, 2 blade heads.. Can a gyrocopter work with only 2 bladed head?

I'm interested in your design and considering doing something similar. Basically a 450 help frame, pusher setup, wheels like you have, twin motor setup to allow rotation of the blades through the pinion and gear to allow a somewhat lower speed for the disc, then a pusher motor.

Am I crazy or can something like this work? I would rather not buy anything, and I have 2 blades and both FB and FBL heads to hold it.
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:23 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
I don't think you are crazy blade crasher, I KNOW this thing works it's just a matter of me getting to grips with the piloting skills.

With the setup I have, a standard BL 450 heli motor and pinion drive the rotor but it only required a short and gentle run up to about 1/4 throttle to get the blades really spinning well. My problem is when it gets off the ground I tend to over control it and end up panicking.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:16 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
971 Posts
Hi Ospreyman
Any further developments?
I ran out of time when I was out in Corfu to get any experiments with the heli head Wot4
A few months ago I bought a 3 blade head and was going to do something similar to your set up but never got the time I hope during the winter to have a go and will post any progress
Any video?
Joe
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:05 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Not really,
I tried again ton Sunday but it was zero wind and although I got the blades spun up ok they slowed down again as the model started its take off run . I think I may have too much neg pitch on the new blades. Any ideas? What i need is a day with SOME wind but not the gales we are getting now!!!!