HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Discussion
fuel proofing LEDs

does anyone know a way to fuelproof LED strips? I have three small sections of LEDs that I need to fuelproof, but I don't want to go buy a whole role of clear monokote just for a little piece.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:40 PM
Click my name for night blades
United States, PA, Warminster
Joined Nov 2011
81 Posts
A 2 part spray clear coat, need a respirator to use it. If you don't have a spray gun you might be able to bring it to an auto body place and they might spray it real quick for you the next time they do some clear coat work. You can also get a 2 part spray in a can, but it's pretty expensive and it's only good for less than 24 hours after you mix it. Good luck! Tim
Timtreo is offline Find More Posts by Timtreo
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
I did a test run with some lusterkote and that seems to be working so far.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:55 PM
Click my name for night blades
United States, PA, Warminster
Joined Nov 2011
81 Posts
I hear that stuff only works up to certain nitro percentage but you might ok with whatever fuel you are using.
Timtreo is offline Find More Posts by Timtreo
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
How about using CorrosionX? That is the stuff us float flyers (and coastal flyers) spray on our electronics and rx's to prevent water damage. I would imagine it is fuel proof, but cannot confirm...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
I'm still testing the lusterkote as it is supposed to be fuelproof for up to 15% nitro which is what I use. If that ends up failing I will probably look into the corrosion X or may just breakdown and get some clear monokote.