HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:04 AM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Question
Turnigy 9x vs DX6i which to get?

So i just came across this tx and this whole time everyone has said to get the DX6i. Is this Turnigy 9x junk? i'm not looking for the 9ch as much as i'm looking at the price $65 vs $150. If i can find rx's for it would this be the way to go then? On the UM planes can i just pull out the rx and replace it with this turnigy rx?

man, i'm so confused now on which radio to get, any help or advice would be great.
boats
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:37 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,460 Posts
Honest answer without my bias as a 9x user ?

They are different radios in many ways.

The DX6i is a staid old-hand that does the rounds that finally has had the upgrade that should have been done years ago - give it better freq hopping ability - so make sure IF you buy - its the DSMX version and not the DSM2.

The DX6i is limited to general sport models and does not have extended facilities as in the 7's and higher. It is designed a s a general sport radio.

It has back-up and service from dealers /distributors should it need fixing ...

On to the 9x ...

This is sophisticated radio despite it's budget pricing. It is capable of far more mixes and functions than many radios including others in the 7 ... 8ch range.

It has re-flashing / modification groups on internet thaty drive this radio into areas that literally no other radio goes ...

It has NO back-up or service dealership / distributorship ... but help can be had from various internet based groups.

Rx's can be parkflyer size or full ... with full range or park. Cheap and readily available from various online sources incl. Hobby King / Leaderhobby etc.

So the choice is : DX6i that you will likely need to replace with a more capable set later if you progress further than general sport machines or into helicopters. But a reputable brand and many people use it .. swear by it and you can get fixed or serviced.
9x that basically is so cheap that service support cannot be provided but is a very capable radio. It lends to 3rd ;party modules, telemetry and upgrades that make it extremely versatile.

I've tried to keep it as a straight compare ... but really they are in different worlds ... one a general sport radio - the other a serious mixing / extra function does most things radio.

My suggestion ? Get the 9x ... swap out the original Tx module for the FrSky JR compatible Tx module, get FrSky Rx's to match. You will then have one of the best freq control hopping systems available. Still with change in pocket instead of buying a DX6i.
If I was to buy a Spektrum - it would have to be the higher radios ... the 7 or 8. The 6 would be a let down after the 9x capabilities for me.

Honest answer ...

nb : Be careful of reviews online for the 9x ... check date of review. Many of them are for the older A / Vers 1 sets which were limited on freq control system. The B / Vers 2 system is the one to get ...
Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:13 AM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Appreciate the reply, how hard is this part "swap out the original Tx module for the FrSky JR compatible Tx module, get FrSky Rx's to match"? Does that mean i'd be able to use it for UM planes/parkzone planes if i do that mod?

also after doing some reading, am i going to have problems with the AA batteries in the newer version as some have stated on youtube etc...?

thanks again,
boats
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:02 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2thirsty View Post
So i just came across this tx and this whole time everyone has said to get the DX6i. Is this Turnigy 9x junk? i'm not looking for the 9ch as much as i'm looking at the price $65 vs $150. If i can find rx's for it would this be the way to go then? On the UM planes can i just pull out the rx and replace it with this turnigy rx?

man, i'm so confused now on which radio to get, any help or advice would be great.
boats
Simple answer: If you want to fly DSM2 Ultramicro models, get the DX6i. The UM receivers are NOT replaceable.

The 9x will not operate a DSM2 receiver without extensive modification involving installation of new firmware and a DSM2 module.

For other purposes, you can argue the pros and cons, as each has a lot to offer, but if you need UM compatibility there's no real option.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:30 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
ok thanks for the help, i still have no idea what to do, the only reason i bring up the UM PZ stuff, is honestly its all i know being new to the hobby. I just want to make the right decisions moving up in the hobby as i dont have unlimited funds
thanks
boats