HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:33 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,852 Posts
I've got to admire your collective dedication to your chosen wing retainer system.

Purely for the purpose of discussion, what is the objection to the solution detailed in post #17?

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:08 AM
"...certainty is absurd."
Joined Jan 2007
3,631 Posts
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Last edited by kcaldwel; Jun 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:53 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,129 Posts
I didn't get the whole project finished due to unplanned family obligations, but you can see where this is going from the pictures.

I would have liked to have the eyebolt a little farther towards the front of the wing, but there is no good way to get there. Plus having it back close to the connector takes up less room in the hatch.

My original idea was to just use a threaded eye screw, but the outside rib is only 2mm thick, so I think it needs to be reinforced some. I put a blind nut with 6-32 threads onto a small piece of plywood that is just able to fit into the wiring connector hole sideways. I put some epoxy on it to keep it from being pushed back into the wing.

I threaded a string through the hole I drilled in the wing, then through the blind nut, through a small washer and then tied a big knot in the string to be able to pull the nut to the hole. I left enough string on the back side of the washer so that I could easily pull the string back out.

I did a dry test fit to make sure everything would work fine, then pulled it back out and put some epoxy on the small piece of wood and pulled it into the wing.

While that was setting up I went to the hardware store to find an eyebolt. They were out of the small one, (they called it 1/8"), so I just made a couple from 1/8" music wire bent into a loop, then threaded the end. These stick out a little farther than I want, so I will probably pick up some commercial made ones at another store later.

I haven't decided if I will use a small spring to hold the wings on or a nylon ty-wrap. I could even use a screw to hold the wing on, but kind of like the idea of one wing pulling against the other rather than pulling on the side of the fuselage.

I will post a picture of the finished product, then let you know how it works out when I get chance to test fly it again.

Mark
mdennis is online now Find More Posts by mdennis
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:15 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
Nicely done.Ingeneous solution.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:31 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,129 Posts
Stuart,
I'm afraid I can't take credit for the idea. Here is a picture of an old Top Flight Antares that I necromanced out of my rafters. Has to be at least 20 years old.
Mark
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:41 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdennis View Post
Stuart,
I'm afraid I can't take credit for the idea. Here is a picture of an old Top Flight Antares that I necromanced out of my rafters. Has to be at least 20 years old.
Mark
It's the way you got the hook in there,and the string out again,that impressed
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:57 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,129 Posts
Here is what it looks like with both wings attached. I put a ty-rap on it for the picture. There isn't much room between the hooks for a spring, maybe 5/8". I could use a socket head screw with a hole drilled through the head and gain a lot more room. Something to think about.

Since there is not much wood in the wing to hold the wing on I don't want to put too much pull on the hooks.The carbon tube spar and the fiberglass rod at the front should only allow the wing to move straight out, so there shouldn't be too much pull required. The extra wood I put behind the spring nuts should help spread the load out, but the rib is only attached at the edge to the Obeche skin. I think the only real wood that is in the wing is at the front and at the trailing edge by the flap hinge where the existing retainers are located. I thought about drilling the retainers out and putting a rod into each hole, then using a screw up from the bottom of each wing into the rod. You can't really get to the retainer location from the hatch to do anything else inside the fuselage.

Another idea is to drill a small hole in the bottom of the each wing into the existing fiberglass rod and put a screw into it. That would hold the nose end of the wing together while the hooks held the back end.
Last edited by mdennis; Jun 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:05 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
It's the way you got the hook in there,and the string out again,that impressed
Stuart
Thanks, it's a handy trick to know sometimes. I have had to use it a few times to re-install blind nuts for motor mounts and landing gear that have no direct access.

In this case it worked well because the foam is already removed in this area behind the rib inside the wing to allow the wiring to shift towards the rear of the wing root.

Mark
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:13 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,595 Posts
Mark,

Interesting! I did the same on some glider by drilling a hole(1/2" or so) on the root rib, glue a piece of 4" or so of wood dowel in with epoxy and then glue in an eye bolt to the dowel. Most of the case, there isn't a way to get behind the root rib.

I just received mine (electric version) from SoaringUSA, it has a white (glass) main wing joiner and a black(carbon fiber)front. The glider version has the carbon main joiner(from your photo).

So what is the proper CG? it is still at the 10mm after the flap TE?

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:52 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,129 Posts
Brian,
If you draw a line straight across the fuselage at the back corners of the Flaps as a starting point, the CG is 10mm behind that. It's pretty stable there, you can move it little more rearward than that, but do it in small increments. As you know, CG on flying wings is a fickle thing sometimes.

Post some pictures as you can and be sure to give us a flight report. (Video is always great)

Mark
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:59 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,595 Posts
Mark,

Will do. Now on the hunt for a power system that will be good enough to ALES if I feel comfortable to fly it in a contest. Landing will be a challenge. Most of the ALES floaters are 60-80 oz all up and the Taborca is "floating" at 140+ oz!

Brian, an EAJ
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:14 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,129 Posts
Definitely not a floater, but it will surprise you with it's thermalling abilities. It will also scare you in how easily it disappears on turns.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:26 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,595 Posts
Mark,

Which motor are you using for the Taborca? I know Carolyn uses Kont 480. I would like to find a motor that has 3 bolt mounting pattern so I can use the existing firewire. It is a shame to cut that out to modify it.

Brian, an EAJ
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:46 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,129 Posts
Brian,
Mine is not motorized, so I can't help you.
Mark
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:22 PM
Lapsus calami
Joined Aug 2009
81 Posts
I emailed LET twice last June for availability of this bird; no reply.

I found a retail outlet here in Oz that handles LET models; emailed asking availability 6 weeks ago; last communication said they were looking into it a month ago.

Stone the crows! How come all the designs that catch my eye are either from a bygone era, long out of production, or otherwise virtually unobtanium. Curse of an island economy and the tyranny of distance. I blame the Radian fliers for lowering the bar . . . the carbon-composite junkies for raising it too high . . . the government . . . the Collingwood football club . . . and the drongo that backed into my ute last Friday night. And another thing . . .
Undercarter is offline Find More Posts by Undercarter