SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:40 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Huh, wow. Didn't think it would be such a huge event But awesome!

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:12 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Joe Smith travels like 10-12 hours for it!
Exactly. With somebody like Joe Smith judging, I would think a lot of aspiring 3D pilots would coming form a larger region.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:12 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Yeah sounds good to me! Maybe I might have to beg my parents to bring me after all I wouldn't compete but I could take lots of video

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:49 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I hope to be able to make it there, I am about 6 hours away from the event. I am not 100% that I will make it but I will try.
pick me up along the way!
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:26 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
pick me up along the way!
Just a little geography for you... the route from Ct to NJ does not go through OH
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:27 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
lol no it does not.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:28 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
Just a little geography for you... the route from Ct to NJ does not go through OH
But he was talking about 3daddict, who is in Ohio.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:28 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Got to fly today for first time in a couple weeks. 4 flights on the 48 edge and 3 flights on the 40 edge. Fingers were just too cold to continue . LOL Perfect sunny calm conditions but temp was only about 20 degrees. Great flying though for sure. Wish I had gotten video today but couldnt drag wife out to take any. Something about it being cold.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:31 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
But he was talking about 3daddict, who is in Ohio.
Yes but where's the humor in that
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:32 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,209 Posts
Anyone here ever use Seafoam to clean carbon from the top end of your engine?
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:39 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
4,108 Posts
Got a bunch of flight on my 42 Slick today. Practicing Harrier flight. did 8 or 10 harrier landings. Getting much better at it. Not great mind you but for me pretty dang good. W My wife was shooting vid with the cell and caught one not so good Harrier landing. Had to drop the nose real quick coming right at myself and broke the wheel hub. I would normally have just stepped aside but that would have exposed her which of course I couldn't do.

I will say that the new Slicks have a much tougher CF gear. That was hard enough to break a wheel hub and did zero damage to anything else. The older CF would def have broken.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:40 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
You are in Ohio... and you're going all the way to NJ? That's crazy! LOL

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
LOL I'm 3 hours away and I'm not making it. I thought it would be more for people that were like an hour or two away, not that far...

Dan
Dan (and anyone else for that matter that hasn't made it to one of these events),

If you find a really good event (and the NJ Fly Low In is one of those events), its definitely worth the travel. Its not all about going somewhere and flying (although that is fun), but its also about who else is there. You really can become good friends with people.

I love hanging out with the Smith's. Joe is so down to earth and yet is such a great pilot at the same time. If you ever have the opportunity to talk to Ben, you never know what you are going to get as he has such as insane knowledge base on so many topics. Arron (the KM), is a blast to hang out with and he always flys all out. Can't forget Noll and Glenn either. There are always some antics, but you never know what they are going to be.

In addition to those guys, I've had fun hanging out with a ton of other people from all over the east coast. Hopefully, one of these years, Bivens will make the trip. I think Chris Jewett has even threatened to come up from South Carolina as well.

It really is the people that make the event. Now, combine the people with the most incredible venue ever, and you will know why people drive (YES I SAID DRIVE!) from the West Coast to South Carolina to attend Joe Nall!!!! It is an absolutely crazy event.

With that being said, I am definitely in for NJ, Joe Nall, and I am even toying with the idea of driving down to the TN Fly Low In as I've heard Bivens does a pretty good job too.

Quote:
Joe Smith travels like 10-12 hours for it!
Quote:
He has a trailer and he probably ties them down.
Yup, the Smith's do have a trailer. Once you get a trailer, you quickly learn how you want to "tie" stuff down, and then, luckily, it gets a little quicker along the way.
CrashesALot is online now Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:45 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Yeah if I could drive I'd already have marked my calendar for the dates. But I can't, and convincing my parents is going to be next to impossible...

But yeah fun flies are awesome, I've been to a few of them so far and they are a lot of fun

And you do learn something new each time you go!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:45 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,477 Posts
Going to events is so much fun.

I really want to make it up to New Jersey this year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also had a great time this weekend hanging out with Santi and Diggity. Fun was had and Diggity's 104 is looking awesome.

To bad the weather sucked today to do some good flying, though we did try.
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:47 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
I'm in western New York and its quite a haul to get there but I want to get there this year. Heard such great things about last year and saw some great video and photos.

Speaking of tying things down. What do you all use for battery straps? Have 1 for my 48 that came with the kit but I would like to get something better as it seems a bit wimpy. Haven't had a problem but just in case. Hehe.