SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Don't get it wrong, I just wanted to show that if things don't go faster is not because I am lazy. This stuff is far for being simple.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Got a brief GPS disconnected today. Came on after 2 sec. Position hold was engaged. Turned off PH and GPS disconnect warning stopped 10 sec later. Can't duplicate it again. Is this something to be concerned about? what do I replace Cable or entire GPS unit?
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:15 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
Don't get it wrong, I just wanted to show that if things don't go faster is not because I am lazy. This stuff is far for being simple.
No one will ever accuse you of laziness Alex. You are the most prolific and accessible programmer in the OSD business. You are the primary reason I am moving to the RVOSD. I can compare features all day, but what really counts is innovation. Rate of feature improvement over time, let me call it "Feature Acceleration". No one has you beat.
I hope I can continue to throw ideas/requests at you and you can shoot them down, or implement them. I'm just happy to have your ear.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Last edited by iskess; Sep 01, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
Got a brief GPS disconnected today. Came on after 2 sec. Position hold was engaged. Turned off PH and GPS disconnect warning stopped 10 sec later. Can't duplicate it again. Is this something to be concerned about? what do I replace Cable or entire GPS unit?
Is the GPS cable, actually the connectors. It is sensitive to twisting, you have to be very careful not to twist the cable close to the connectors. You could either get a new cable or just cut the connector and solder the cables to the GPS unit.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Thanks! The million $ question is...Since it didn't have to reset home what would happen if it was in a signal loss RTH mode and it happened?
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:17 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Its usually a good idea to hot glue the connectors at both ends to reduce movement. After replacing the lead.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Good tip Thanks! My gun happens to be on now
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Jan 2008
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svede View Post
Maybe I've missed it, but is there a way to have the RTH come back at the altitude it kicks in at and then once home, do a descending circle/fig.8? I'm just thinking if it kicks in while I'm mountain surfing at 5000ft above launch, it could easily descend into the mountain side while trying to get down to a reasonable return cruise height.
Exactly what I need. My et osd has it and Rth would be useless for me without it because I fly above hills... so rth would bring the plane home at an altitude were I could hardly see it (500m)...
sancho28 is offline Find More Posts by sancho28
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:39 AM
PP/IR
United States, CO
Joined Jun 2012
121 Posts
RTH waypoints could be an option? Rather easy to implement.

One awesome feature of full-scale glass cockpit systems these days is Synthetic Vision. I've been hoping this works it's way into FPV OSD's in the distant future. It's not too overly complicated either. Just pull terrain mapping data and overlay. Could be implemented in the ground station software to start.

Don't listen to me though, I'm a full-scale IFR pilot who is used to 60k avionic suites

I've actually mapped out an IFR-like approach at my field using waypoints. When the wx is right I'm planning on flying FPV IFR approaches!

For now though I'd love to be able to change the overlay color of the OSD to green, but I know that may be a HW limitation.
aviatorgeek is online now Find More Posts by aviatorgeek
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:48 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,432 Posts
Alex
Are you writing all of these ideas down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorgeek View Post
RTH waypoints could be an option? Rather easy to implement.

One awesome feature of full-scale glass cockpit systems these days is Synthetic Vision. I've been hoping this works it's way into FPV OSD's in the distant future. It's not too overly complicated either. Just pull terrain mapping data and overlay. Could be implemented in the ground station software to start.

Don't listen to me though, I'm a full-scale IFR pilot who is used to 60k avionic suites

I've actually mapped out an IFR-like approach at my field using waypoints. When the wx is right I'm planning on flying FPV IFR approaches!

For now though I'd love to be able to change the overlay color of the OSD to green, but I know that may be a HW limitation.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:04 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svede View Post
Maybe I've missed it, but is there a way to have the RTH come back at the altitude it kicks in at and then once home, do a descending circle/fig.8? I'm just thinking if it kicks in while I'm mountain surfing at 5000ft above launch, it could easily descend into the mountain side while trying to get down to a reasonable return cruise height.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sancho28 View Post
Exactly what I need. My et osd has it and Rth would be useless for me without it because I fly above hills... so rth would bring the plane home at an altitude were I could hardly see it (500m)...
+1 My 2c

Some locations where I'd like to fly have mountainous areas. This would be a great solution.
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:11 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
751 Posts
This is good idea, the different altitude setting may be valid for loiter range: so you can set 500m altitude for RTH flying, but when the airplane hit loiter range, the altitude will descent to selected altitude... Or turn off motor, this will be safety feature as well :-)
Rastislavko is online now Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:50 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
835 Posts
2 quick questions

I'm hoping the hive mind here can help me out as I get ready to maiden my RVOSD. I haven't found answers to these in the thread, so if you know the answer, please share.

1) In the debug screen for the raw data I never see any horizontal bars for the vibrations. Is there something wrong with my IMU and if so how would I tell? The AHI is working, but perhaps this is just the accelerometer part of the IMU?

2) I've somehow activated the weird debug AHI that jumps around and has little dots instead of a solid line. How do I turn this off? You can see it at the end of the video below.

Edit: This may be related. Sometimes when I restart the OSD I get Magentometer Not Found and Accelerometer Not Found. If I hardware reboot (i.e. cut the power) they come back (see the video).
(edit- video removed to stop crapping up the thread. Plus the issue was addressed in the post below)
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Last edited by BloomingtonFPV; Sep 02, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
This is good idea, the different altitude setting may be valid for loiter range: so you can set 500m altitude for RTH flying, but when the airplane hit loiter range, the altitude will descent to selected altitude... Or turn off motor, this will be safety feature as well :-)
I like the idea, will do as soon as I get my Queen bee on the air next week.

Quote:
1) In the debug screen for the raw data I never see any horizontal bars for the vibrations. Is there something wrong with my IMU and if so how would I tell? The AHI is working, but perhaps this is just the accelerometer part of the IMU?

2) I've somehow activated the weird debug AHI that jumps around and has little dots instead of a solid line. How do I turn this off? You can see it at the end of the video below.

Edit: This may be related. Sometimes when I restart the OSD I get Magentometer Not Found and Accelerometer Not Found. If I hardware reboot (i.e. cut the power) they come back (see the video).
1- The first OSD sold from this batch (Hardware 5.1) have the accelerometer bars disabled.
2- The weird debug AHI shows the actual attitude, as it is seem by the accelerometers only, so you can use it to get an idea of the existing vibrations. I forgot to disable it on the first batch of OSDs sold, because I used it during the debug tests. It is toggled ON-OFF each time you set neutrals.
If you want the new graphic board firmware with this debug AHI removed and the vibration level indicator enabled, send me a PM with your email address. But that's the only change, everything else is exactly the same. Doesn't worth the change IMHO.

It is always better to do a hardware reset(cycle power), the software reset could cause a de-sync on internal comms. This is why sometimes it does show the mag and accel not detected display.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Alex could you please answer this so I know the urgency of the issue. Thanks!

Quote:
Thanks! The million $ question is...Since it didn't have to reset home what would happen if it was in a signal loss RTH mode and it happened? (loss of gps )