HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:13 PM
XR-4Drone.com
Joined May 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAN.GER View Post
yesterday, while long flying with 1800mAh battery,
suddenly ar.drone stopped to response for tx commands.
he was around 120 meter away and 10 metres over the ground.
I've seen his pretty well on the sky, but not later where he landed.

(this screenshot is from my ground software with gps received from ar.drone live, very first time)

Congratulations to miru for his good software:
in this situation ar.drone hovers until 15% of battery, then lands! gently and safely!
I had to only find him in bushes.

the reason: stabilizator chip on ardruino's board burned away!
(did someone warned us about, in this forum some time ago?)
on arduino board there is 78M05 chip which runs under 150mA.
I suppose my rx+gps together with adruino chips just take more,
when it needs to make 5V from 11V of LiPo.

I decided to make some small changes to the original miru diagram.
(this burned small chip is on the reverse side of board)

it's easy, and with 7805/1A offers you more power for additional equipment in the future. for only rx+gps this 7808 chip does not need even radiator. all new parts below $4.
Is this an isolated case or is this happening to everyone with a gps module?
Will 3.3volt gps modules have the same problem or is it on the 5volt gps modules?
dante1 is offline Find More Posts by dante1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Sep 2012
47 Posts
White Led (Nano Arduino) just lit, nothing else happens

A non successful story here for miru mod.

Checked all cables once and again. Hyperterminal is working by directions as expected. RC (HK-T6A) programmed and working.

When I connect the battery, I have the white led in the arduino blinking 3 short flashes, and that is repeated 8 times. After it do that cycle, it starts a single flash every second or so. ARdrone 2.0 is green by now. Transmitter (RC Controller) off.

When I turn on the RC Controller (Transmitter), I get 4 series of 3 flashes, then 3 series of 4 flashes, then dim white, then steady white.

ARDrone is working perfectly with Wifi. Reset to factory defaults already and upgraded to latest firmware.

If I keep ONLY connected 12v and ground to the ARDrone from the Arduino (To test the Arduino power on). I get the same cycle sans the extra blinkings between when I turn on the Controller, and the White Steady light. That seems to me that there is "some" communication with the ARDrone... but What I am missing!?

Thanks Guys!
vectorcharlie is online now Find More Posts by vectorcharlie
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:32 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorcharlie View Post
A non successful story here for miru mod.

Checked all cables once and again. Hyperterminal is working by directions as expected. RC (HK-T6A) programmed and working.

When I connect the battery, I have the white led in the arduino blinking 3 short flashes, and that is repeated 8 times. After it do that cycle, it starts a single flash every second or so. ARdrone 2.0 is green by now. Transmitter (RC Controller) off.

When I turn on the RC Controller (Transmitter), I get 4 series of 3 flashes, then 3 series of 4 flashes, then dim white, then steady white.

ARDrone is working perfectly with Wifi. Reset to factory defaults already and upgraded to latest firmware.

If I keep ONLY connected 12v and ground to the ARDrone from the Arduino (To test the Arduino power on). I get the same cycle sans the extra blinkings between when I turn on the Controller, and the White Steady light. That seems to me that there is "some" communication with the ARDrone... but What I am missing!?

Thanks Guys!
What drone 1 or 2 ?
What drone firmware ?
What mod revision ?
If SETUP is working, meaning you get all the sticks producing the right values, the switches showing the right modes and have removed the SETUP jumper, there must be something wrong with the connection to the drone or the drone's serial port itself.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2 Posts
@vectorcharlie

Is it a ARDrone 1 of 2 ?

I had the same problems with my ARdrone 1. I have used the latest schematic withe the levelshifter. But when I removed the level shifter an used the old schematic with the resistors my connection problem was gone.

I think the level shifter board is not working properly with the AR Drone 1.

I also have tried 2 levelshifter boards, just to be sure there was no mailfunction in the levelshifter board itself....
Mr_Pinooo is offline Find More Posts by Mr_Pinooo
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:19 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Pinooo View Post
I think the level shifter board is not working properly with the AR Drone 1.
Levelshifter from Sarkfun works with Drone 1 no problem (I'm using it all the time). Just make sure you have only Chan1 (bottom) RXO connected to LV for Drone 1 and both Chan1 (bottom) AND Chan2 (top) RXOs connected to LV for Drone 2.
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
What drone 1 or 2 ?
What drone firmware ?
What mod revision ?
If SETUP is working, meaning you get all the sticks producing the right values, the switches showing the right modes and have removed the SETUP jumper, there must be something wrong with the connection to the drone or the drone's serial port itself.
Would it be possible for future mods to output some sort of error code in blinks that we could look up, like Morse code?
dit-dit-dit-dah = general communication problem, dit-dit-dah-dah = channel 3 Tx failure etc.?

I have literally no idea why mine sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:23 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Would it be possible for future mods to output some sort of error code in blinks that we could look up, like Morse code?
dit-dit-dit-dah = general communication problem, dit-dit-dah-dah = channel 3 Tx failure etc.?

I have literally no idea why mine sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
It is hard to help you not knowing what hardware/software you are dealing with...
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,656 Posts
Quote:
It is hard to help you not knowing what hardware/software you are dealing with...
OK, sorry Drone 1, 1.7.11, Nano V3, CT6B Rx Tx, modified to self-centre both sticks, DSR018, Rec 0.13 wiring, + all resistors and diode. Had one wiring snafu, but fixed that and although now does work, is intermittent at getting to flight mode. Hyperterminal reports no problems.

BTW going into and out of emergency mode when connected to Hyperterminal produces a different, seemingly random, error number each time above the channel info. Plus I also had that 7th channel 'V' appear when I waved the sticks about a lot. Is this connected to the VID+ recording stick position?
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:05 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
OK, sorry Drone 1, 1.7.11, Nano V3, CT6B Rx Tx, modified to self-centre both sticks, DSR018, Rec 0.13 wiring, + all resistors and diode. Had one wiring snafu, but fixed that and although now does work, is intermittent at getting to flight mode. Hyperterminal reports no problems.

BTW going into and out of emergency mode when connected to Hyperterminal produces a different, seemingly random, error number each time above the channel info.
The 'random' number is the number of consecutive failures sampling the receiver. This means the sampling routine detects an error in the channel timing when you go to the extremes. See if you can reproduce it deflecting just one channel all the way to either extreme. If so, reduce the gain on that channel and any other channel that causes this. When you let go of all the sticks the 'value' column of the sticks should read 0. Pushing a stick all the way should produce a value of +-1000 max.
What is the frametime of your receiver signals?
Quote:
Plus I also had that 7th channel 'V' appear when I waved the sticks about a lot. Is this connected to the VID+ recording stick position?
There is no 7th channel, if you are in LAND and push the aileron stick to the right, it should display VID+, which means it would send a change camera command to the drone.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,656 Posts
Quote:
See if you can reproduce it deflecting just one channel all the way to either extreme. If so, reduce the gain on that channel and any other channel that causes this. When you let go of all the sticks the 'value' column of the sticks should read 0. Pushing a stick all the way should produce a value of +-1000 max.
What is the frametime of your receiver signals?
I think it was just Emergency mode that gave the changing error code - I was just interested in why it kept changing - but I'll have a play again. None of my channels - except the dials on AUX1 and GEAR (1024) - generate values above or below about 900 in ctconfig.exe
Quote:
There is no 7th channel, if you are in LAND and push the aileron stick to the right, it should display VID+, which means it would send a change camera command to the drone.
Yes, I get the VID+ in Land mode with Right AIL. Here's my original post with the screen shot of "Channel 7" displayed as 'V' and also showing the framerate - I assume that's the 33.3ms value. BTW, I don't have GPS, so don't know if that text should be there. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post22552708
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:29 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
I think it was just Emergency mode that gave the changing error code - I was just interested in why it kept changing - but I'll have a play again. None of my channels - except the dials on AUX1 and GEAR (1024) - generate values above or below about 900 in ctconfig.exe

Yes, I get the VID+ in Land mode with Right AIL. Here's my original post with the screen shot of "Channel 7" displayed as 'V' and also showing the framerate - I assume that's the 33.3ms value. BTW, I don't have GPS, so don't know if that text should be there. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post22552708
Sorry, did not remember you posted that. The cause is your PC temporarily not keeping up with the serial link, hit CTRL-B again and it should rebuild the screen.
The 'gps' will always show up, your GPS is not detected if there is nothing after that.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Sep 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
What drone 1 or 2 ?
What drone firmware ?
What mod revision ?
Drone 2
2.2.3 Firmware
Arduino Nano 3.0

I will remove and solder again the connections, just in case there is something wrong with any of the cables. Also the cables I used is very thin and a bit long, maybe that is giving some problems. I will report back. Thanks Miru!
vectorcharlie is online now Find More Posts by vectorcharlie
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Aug 2012
12 Posts
As a lurker for months, this is my first post. First - this MiruMod is fantastic! The few people who wrote step-by-step instructions did a great job, made it simple for everyone. Thank You!
In response to some people having 78L05 burn-out problems, I'm cheap and I decided to go with a through-hole Arduino board - adding only a few grams of weight but making it easy to access pins for future LEDs, or other options. Also it uses a 7805 (if you want) - I cut off the "tab" for space so I can probably pull .5A before it gets too warm. The board cost me $3, I had all the parts as I work with AVRs and PICs a little. I attached a few photos - it's not finished, the cable to the RX has to be shortened and hot glued to the little board for the RX. The short black wire is a temporary jumper for the serial test. It works! This is the first RC device I've ever owned, a friend gave it to me and when I saw I needed an Iphone, I wasn't happy (seemed like a goofy toy). When I found Miru's work I was amazed because now I can apply my electronic skills to this quad copter - to me the build is more fun than the flying. But I must say the flying is pretty cool with this mod. Miru and others, keep up the great work! Thanks again.
Rob
robk2544 is offline Find More Posts by robk2544
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,656 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, did not remember you posted that. The cause is your PC temporarily not keeping up with the serial link, hit CTRL-B again and it should rebuild the screen.
The 'gps' will always show up, your GPS is not detected if there is nothing after that.
OK, thanks. Load off my mind. So, any suggestions about the intermittent 'won't finish startup' problem? And how about Morse code (or Binary) error message flashes?
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:40 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
OK, thanks. Load off my mind. So, any suggestions about the intermittent 'won't finish startup' problem? And how about Morse code (or Binary) error message flashes?
Can you post a video of a failing startup sequence?
The mod has code to show Morse code. There is one section where the Arduino LED will flash a SOS when at2so detects another controller during startup and the other for the VLBA output. It will do a 'R' when you do a FTRIM or enter FM3. The mechanisms are not used for displaying error codes at this point, one can usually tell by observing the Arduino LED.