SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:23 AM
4 blades! Scale blades!
Joined Apr 2006
4,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch one View Post
No!
I just received my Rafale and it has two LEFT (port) wings. I will be happy to trade a left for a right (starboard)wing.
Any one interested?
Shuut! they re-hired the cross-eyed guy at JIT.
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:58 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
I actually got this plane in last week... after checking everything.... all the pieces were correct! I guess I got lucky!
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:57 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
601 Posts
I have my Rafale just about ready to fly. What are you fellow owners using as a cg and what are the best elevon throws? I also would like to know how much expo to use ( I am using a Spektrum Dx6i ). Thanks
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Oct 2006
238 Posts
Here's a short video of my HK Rafale.

Hobbyking Rafale Servo testing (1 min 5 sec)

My HK Rafale in flight. Not a maiden flight, but it's my first actual video of me flying. Please forgive the quality of the video as it has been recorded using my smartphone. The end of the video should sort of give you guys the basic idea of the proper CG placement. It's best to have the battery all the way up front of the airframe. Hope you like!

Hobbyking 70mm Rafale flight (4 min 37 sec)
Roen is offline Find More Posts by Roen
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Oct 2003
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfield View Post
I have my Rafale just about ready to fly. What are you fellow owners using as a cg...
The CG seems to be somewhere between 360 and 372mm from the trailing edge.
kuvera is offline Find More Posts by kuvera
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Dec 2007
601 Posts
[QUOTE=kuvera;22889937]The CG seems to be somewhere between 360 and 372mm from the trailing edge.[/QUO

Thanks, I set up my cg at 365 and my throws at 20mm up/down elevator and 20mm left and right aileron. I also set my expo at +60% on aileron and elevator ( Dx6i ). I maidend the Rafale this morning. The hand launch was a piece of cake. During the flight I found that the aileron control authority was fine the elevator was less so but managable. Unfourtunately it started to rain after my first flight. I plan on moving the cg back 5mm and increasing the elevator throw by 5mm. Great flying plane.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Oct 2003
93 Posts
Gratulations to your maiden!
Ok, tell us about adjusting the cg, how it goes.

I will get my rafale in the next weeks, so I am very interested in this info
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
landing gear

please anyone who has build this plane can explain how to assemble the landing gear?
There are several pieces of "wood" but I do not understand the order of assembly.
leocaldasbr is offline Find More Posts by leocaldasbr
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Dec 2007
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvera View Post
Gratulations to your maiden!
Ok, tell us about adjusting the cg, how it goes.

I will get my rafale in the next weeks, so I am very interested in this info
The first modification I made after my first test flight was to remove the stock elevon horns. I discovered that they allowed too much free movement. I glued in plywood plates and mounted screw in type horns closer to the elevon hinge line. This gave a much more ridged mounting. I left the cg the same . My control surface movements are ailerons 20mm up and down with 60% expo, elevator is 22 up and down with 40% expo ( Spektrum Dx6i radio ). I did a test flight this morning and found these modifications resulted in a perfect flying plane.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:04 PM
Northern Cal
Joined Nov 2010
19 Posts
Great thread, lots of good info. Here is my Rafale with winter camo paint theme. I used water based acrylic paints.

AUW is 1005 grams with this belly lander. I'm using a 2200 4s
30 C with the HK Turnigy SK3 Fandrive motor 3300kv. With the HK recommended fan (4 blade Changsun) I'm getting 788 watts pulling just over 50 amps.

I have about 6 flights on it so far. It's not the fastest jet I have but the flying characteristics are really great. First flights were with the CG at 360. I have worked back to a 340CG so far. I'm working on a video to post soon.

rafale vid avi (0 min 52 sec)
flynwing_mike is offline Find More Posts by flynwing_mike
Last edited by flynwing_mike; Oct 24, 2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: added video
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:31 AM
Joined Oct 2003
93 Posts
You moved the CG to 340mm? Does it work? The Video shows your Plane with CG on 340?
Severin
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
Northern Cal
Joined Nov 2010
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvera View Post
You moved the CG to 340mm? Does it work? The Video shows your Plane with CG on 340?
Severin
The video shows the plane with the 340 CG. At 1/4 to full throttle the 340 CG feels more efficient than the 360 CG setup. There is a tradeoff with the 340 CG, at 1/4 or throttle off gliding, the plane is unstable. The plane has dropped a wingtip at very low speeds. It appears if you are pointed straight into the wind, you can shut throttle on approach without stalling. I always keep some power on if I am turning on approach just to be safe.

I would recommend maiden flight at 360 as it is stable at all speeds. That is what I did, then I moved the battery back a little each flight to finally reach the current 340 CG point.
Mike
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Oct 2003
93 Posts
Thank you Mike

I would stay at 360mm. I fly several Delta-EDFs' in several sizes and weight-categories (Mirage, Eurofighter, J-20), and all of them definitely doesnt like to be tail-heavy.

The advantage of maybe a little bit better gliding of the disadvantage for having a not so stable Jet on landing-maneuver has to be weightened. Try the following: Fly some while on the back, and look, how the Plane reacts. If its tail-heavy, you will have probelms to turn back on normal flight. And it will probably not roll propperly.

Severin
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:47 PM
Northern Cal
Joined Nov 2010
19 Posts
Severin,
I did notice when I do a roll on a slow fly by, the plane does a brief erratic motion half way through the roll. I usually can get through a roll smoothly, even applying down elevator for a nose heavy plane. So I was surprised the plane did that.

I have not heard of that inverted test, I will try it, thanks
Mike
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:55 PM
Sulphur Springs, Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2 Posts
Splitshot posted:
I received the replacement parts for the rafale from HK, and guess what!!! WT*#%^
I got the same right wing!!!! I NEED THE LEFT WING!!!

BUt anyway if some of you need to replace the right wing please LMK!!!

I received my 70mm Rafale last month and it has two left wings. I will trade if you or any one else has a right (starboard) wing.

Scratch
Scratch one is offline Find More Posts by Scratch one