Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:47 PM
Łódź, Poland, Europe
Poland, Lodzkie, Lodz
Joined Apr 2012
56 Posts
Hi folks, I`m new in DLG, but flying RC for many years. I`m from Poland, my name is Jack. That`s my first attempt to micro DLG:

Project begins as NANO, but turned into this

Now it`s 600mm wingspan and 50g AUW. It`s heavy - i know it, but flies quite good. I used an orange 6ch RX without case, pair of 3,7g servos and 160mAh 1S Li-po. I`m reading all posts about micro DLG, my main inspiration was Yasu and others.

Next project is to use pair of 1,7g HK servos, orange RX without case and with soldered servo wires, and 1S Li-poly, pod made with metod of "loosed form" of styro and coverded with 25g/m glass .

Question: best and lightest way to make wings about 600-650 mm with about 5 deg polyhedral without ailerons...

1. Depron cores with CF rods inside - littlephoenix method
2. Balsa cores sanded and resined or laquered - Yasu method
3. Balsa wings made from thin plates with CF inside - lagarto method
4. 1mm depron for covering with balsa ribs and CF - micro bulider method

Thx for any answer
sherman77 is offline Find More Posts by sherman77
Last edited by sherman77; Nov 01, 2012 at 04:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Jul 2004
63 Posts
Mcro SAL

I am using BSD form wing ;
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=698
This section is very good for micro SAL.
And the built up figure is as attached pics.
AUW 39.0g, wing Span: 600mm, total length:620mm,
Using HK 1.7g servo x2, Lipo: 1cell 100mAh
Receiver: HK DSM2 orange 4ch
Wing covering film : E-Light film from OK models ( thickness:20 micro)
The wing has no special reinforcement other than the covering film.
Only joint area and SAL peg area using micro glass cloth for strengthen.

Hope above information make sense to you.
Thanks
Yasuo
kajiyama is offline Find More Posts by kajiyama
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:44 AM
Łódź, Poland, Europe
Poland, Lodzkie, Lodz
Joined Apr 2012
56 Posts
Very nice, but: pink panels are 9 inch long - so about 226 mm - do You used 3 of them, or I can buy longer wersion, for ex 300mm?

BTW - beautiful glider, like it very much
Last edited by sherman77; Nov 02, 2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:20 AM
Joined Jul 2004
63 Posts
Yes, you need to join them to 300mm length for each side. But even so, this has enough strength for launch. This is much depending on the strength of the covering film.
The performance of BSD form wing is very high and if compare to the wing section appered on this forum, I can say this would be 1st class.

Yasuo
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:14 AM
Łódź, Poland, Europe
Poland, Lodzkie, Lodz
Joined Apr 2012
56 Posts
great to hear it, do You remember a weight of it? I`m ready to order it, I hope they ships to Poland...
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Jul 2004
63 Posts
I do not remember the weight of them.
Possibly less than 4g for one piece and less than 20g for one set (2pieces of form wing with base material).
I hope you will get longer flight guration!
Yasuo
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:36 AM
Łódź, Poland, Europe
Poland, Lodzkie, Lodz
Joined Apr 2012
56 Posts
I hope too... My glider today just exploded in the air Wing support breaks and wing destroyed vertical and horizontal stabilizer... Just after launch, maybe at 3-4th meter.

I`m not worried, just because second attempt is 40% done. Vert stab 0,4g hor stab 1,0g and hull made of two 2mm carbon pipes with 0,15mm stainless steel pushrods inside. Works great and weight is now 5,2g.

I follow Yasu project from his sketches in another topic...

PS. do any of You use flex floppy disks for movable stab part support - it is very good material, almost undestroyable and very light
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:24 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2008
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman77 View Post
I hope too... My glider today just exploded in the air Wing support breaks and wing destroyed vertical and horizontal stabilizer... Just after launch, maybe at 3-4th meter.

I`m not worried, just because second attempt is 40% done. Vert stab 0,4g hor stab 1,0g and hull made of two 2mm carbon pipes with 0,15mm stainless steel pushrods inside. Works great and weight is now 5,2g.

I follow Yasu project from his sketches in another topic...

PS. do any of You use flex floppy disks for movable stab part support - it is very good material, almost undestroyable and very light
Can you post a link to his project that you followed.
mattconn24 is offline Find More Posts by mattconn24
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:28 PM
Łódź, Poland, Europe
Poland, Lodzkie, Lodz
Joined Apr 2012
56 Posts
Here you go: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1492035&page=2

post # 19 - sketches...

I plan to follow all of that, except of the carbon "hull" - my is doubled and the pushrods for stabs are going thru the carbon pipes
Last edited by sherman77; Nov 03, 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:04 PM
Łódź, Poland, Europe
Poland, Lodzkie, Lodz
Joined Apr 2012
56 Posts
Mattconn24 -any plan for another build?

Yasu projects are not so hard to follow, except balsa wings. It is only difficult I found in it: how to make such fine shape from light, quite soft balsa without any mistake...?
Thats why im planing to made wings from foam cores...
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:12 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,451 Posts
you actually don't need really soft balsa to get a good wing set, if its too light, it wont be strong enough to resist fluttering. also, if the wood has a harder side and a softer side, use the harder side for the trailing edge of the wing as it will get the most weight removed and needs the strongest wood as its so thin. these tricks and a few others helped me make very nice flying gliders.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:43 AM
Łódź, Poland, Europe
Poland, Lodzkie, Lodz
Joined Apr 2012
56 Posts
If you can share with us rest of the tricks

Im little scared with snding that much balsa cores... What should be weight of good wings with 600mm span? I think maximum 20 grams, better about 15-17 but it will be hard to make. Whole piece 1000x100x6 mm weights about 72g. A 600mm piece will weight about 43-44g before sanding. Im not so happy with that weight...
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2008
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajiyama View Post
Yes, you need to join them to 300mm length for each side. But even so, this has enough strength for launch. This is much depending on the strength of the covering film.
The performance of BSD form wing is very high and if compare to the wing section appered on this forum, I can say this would be 1st class.

Yasuo
Can you share the best method for joining the wing sections together to archive 600mm. I am rather new with working with foam. I ordered 3 sets and I am looking forward to working on a new project. Thanks.

Matt
mattconn24 is offline Find More Posts by mattconn24
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:42 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,451 Posts
I think my wing blanks weighed between 30-35 grams before planing and sanding. The use of a small wood plane is such a big help, easily cuts forming time to 1/3rd from just sanding. After shaping they are under 20 grams for the set maybe less than 15 as my total weight was 28 grams on my lightest glider.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:55 AM
Łódź, Poland, Europe
Poland, Lodzkie, Lodz
Joined Apr 2012
56 Posts
about working with foam like EPP, EPS or styrodur I think there`s no anything better than UHU POR, very good glue, I don`t know if it`s avaliable in US, but here in Europe all of us use this. Strong, stays flexible, almost undestroyable. And safe for any styro or depron... It should be enough to join that halves of wing...

At surface area, like matches box You can hang about 6-8 pounds...
Last edited by sherman77; Nov 05, 2012 at 12:06 PM.