HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:10 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,797 Posts
Discussion
Post your models for the Kyosho/Parkzone RX here

***I will moderate this thread from time to time so it stays on topic and concentrates on models for the Kyosho RX. Similar to threads we have had in the past about 6mm and 4mm pager models. If there are any details you want to discuss please open a separate thread. Any messages that stray will be left for a couple of days and then deleted.***

You just knew it had to be a BUMP didn't you

I re-drew the plan to accommodate the width of the Kyosho RX brick. The span is 28cm/11" and AUW at the moment is 13.5grams with pushrods yet to be mounted. It will also need a proper nose block. The motor is a 7mm pager and the cell is a 60mAh Fullriver. When completed I am confident it will weigh under 15 grams. The RX ESC has no problems with a direct drive orange 7mm pager.

My much used 11" BUMP with JMP RX and actuators has an AUW of 14 grams with a 60mAh cell and flies around at 2/3 throttle most of the time.

I'll try an aileron version next. The BUMP in its revised form will probably be available as a laser cut kit.

Michael

PS: I should add that the original cell can be used. I just have so many cells with my own connectors attached that I changed the connector on the RX. I also added a connector so a motor swap is easy to do.

PPS: The RX is 26x20mm. Obviously you can't turn it sideways so unless you mount it on its side a fuselage must be at least 26mm wide inside.
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Last edited by epilot; Jul 31, 2007 at 01:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:59 AM
RC-Kraut
Joined Feb 2006
1,858 Posts
Nice msnyder - how much is the weight and size of this spitty? Cute ! Ailerons or rudder ?

I myself also startet : But this mechanics inside are a task...I try to make P51 Mustang with ailerons + elevator. Mhh-the fuse has to be "fat" in order to give place for the brick and the motor+gear. But this one became a bit to fat, lacks some grace ehh. The plane has a nice glide, but the mechanics dont satisfy me, too much friction and bending of the frame. It was abig mistake to not align both torsion rods on one line . I will see... The servo gives only 3mm in one direction. What do you think has the brick enough power to move all. I have some few friction to overcome. Could the servo or the brick fry? In any case I learned a lot, I believe I wont finish this P51. I Have to make a new one (or another plane). A major prob is the flexing of the foam construction, wasting mechanical movement of the whole mechanism. One the other hand you have to be light. This shown fuse has now 8gr, at 35 cm span. Lots of thoughts and confusion about a perfect solution. The goal should be < 18 gr AUW + less drag..... . This Mustang is R&D ver 1 - the show will go on....the next version will be much better . And I have to order a fuse - still dont have a second. My Cessna I will NOT slaughter.

CU
relaxr is offline Find More Posts by relaxr
Last edited by relaxr; Jul 30, 2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 07:42 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
956 Posts
I'm not sure but I think this is a Minium mod (Miniod?), certainly looks like the TX and the size is about right:
Toratanu Ss 1st Test flight (2 min 15 sec)

Wonder what motor is driving that 3 bladed prop?
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Aug 04, 2007, 10:16 AM
ITALY
Joined Sep 2004
928 Posts
cessna

This is my cessna...
Ivan2280 is offline Find More Posts by Ivan2280
Old Aug 08, 2007, 05:53 PM
sw missouri
Joined Sep 2001
390 Posts
I purchased several of the Kyosho receiver units and needed to test them. Ken Spencer had a Micro Chuck all built up with no radio. I installed the Kyosho receiver in the Micro Chuck in about 30 minutes - it dropped right in.

I flew it last night and it worked very well.

Bob
bselman is offline Find More Posts by bselman
Old Aug 08, 2007, 10:12 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,427 Posts
I posted some motor constant tests of the 6x15mm Kyosho motor in the big Kyosho thread. However, I've just completed a test with the prop that comes on the Cessna (now that I have one that's not on a plane). So, I'm posting the table with the addition of the static test here where is is less likely to get lost. The prop has a lot of pitch near the root, so static tests may be different than in flight. It's hard to say. In addition, this is the stock gearbox with no lubing of the gears etc. Later I'll test it after lubing for comparison.

Edit 8/21/07: Finally got around to measuring the prop that comes on the Cessna. It's a 3.7x2.3, which works out to about a 0.62 Pitch/Diameter ratio, which is about what we often use for indoor slow flying planes.

I was working on a 13-inch span Micro Ultimate that combines laser cut 1/32 ply skeleton with a skin of 025 Durobatics foam. It was to use actuators and a Plantraco RX. I still have that version of the plane underway. But, it was not hard to adapt the CAD design to do this one for the Kyosho brick. I'm leary of how far back the brick is mounted. But, weighting an earlier fuselage prototype with clay to represent additional airframe pieces as well as equipment indicates that the brick can go where it is. We shall see. This project is a work in progress. The fuselage skeleton without landing gear weighs 2.95g.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is online now Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Aug 21, 2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2007, 06:05 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I'm stuffing one into a peanut Elias AirCamper from a design by Walt Mooney. I've left the side unfinished to show the insides. Weight of the (mostly) covered model parts is 5.5 grams, so a finished weight of 16 grams seems reasonable.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:25 PM
RC-Kraut
Joined Feb 2006
1,858 Posts
Got it . I had to do that . . . bought a second one, made it a midwing and applied an aileron mechanics. The rod system took me three approaches. Thanks to a long afternoon, I could find a solution. The servos are weak, forget any shrink tube hinging, only pure mechanics, with very (!) few friction will work. Tomorrow I will get this bird in the air.

The deflections of the tapes (see vid!) show it went well - will this baby roll ?

See the mechanics work: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...71#post7965193

Bye bye
Last edited by relaxr; Aug 10, 2007 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added vid link
Old Aug 11, 2007, 06:14 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
956 Posts
Almost done..

To recapitulate: started with the fuselage+receiver block+pushrod+motor combo they offer in Europe.
Swapped the motor for a blue SS in a gearbox with MI 5030S carbon prop.
Made new wings, mid-mounted with ailerons, coupled to the rudder.

Vids: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...29#post7971486

Edit: AUW is 20 g, on the mark. It flies well, rolls easily but heads to the ground when inverted due to the wing undercamber.
Even though the power to weight ratio is nomillay more than 1:1 the Purple SS drains the battery really fast so it can hover only for a few seconds at the time. Ghostmechanic kindly sent me a Red SS but I haven't gotten round to installing it.
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Last edited by Pouncer; Oct 22, 2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 01:21 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
The AirCamper is coming together. I'm waiting for a properly sized set of wheels from New Standard Wheels - these are way too big - before I finalize the gear location, although battery placement should be plenty of adjustment
Last edited by Mike Taylor; Aug 14, 2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 06:10 AM
RC-Kraut
Joined Feb 2006
1,858 Posts
Spitfire based on Minium gear - profile type approach

Ok Michael I think you steer this thread that its condensed. Beside the defective servo some inspiration for an aileron based derivative, here the spitty. Cobra Command asked me for - here we are . The mechnism works very fine in this geometry. Sorry for the lazy elevator construction (through rudder), I wanted to be as light as possible. If my brick would be ok, it would (!) work. This construction comes with 35cm span and the whole gear etc. (I weighed all together) with nice 16 gr. If finished, I would cover the motor hood area with selitac (1mm) - giving a better look. Hope to inspire you all

I wait til I can get it in the air with a repaired or new brick. I have the feeling it will fly fine, soaring with some penny on the nose was awesome.

CU

EDIT: The reason for the worn out servo is that the wormdrive is made from hard steel and the servo slider (holding the rod heads) just from plastics. Under full mechanic resistance you hear a "sirrrr" with standing slider. This is the milling out of the sliders tap hole. Optical examination showed that the tap hole was milled out eliptically. Ok - never ever (!) allow full blocking the servo, not even for fractions of seconds. With every block + sirr the countdown for the servos life runs. Inside the servo under the slider a forklike contact slider from steel slides over the PCB - must be a control contact for positioning/locating the status. Ciao brick
Last edited by relaxr; Aug 17, 2007 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added some info on pics
Old Aug 17, 2007, 06:47 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,797 Posts
Come on guys, the rules are simple enough so please follow them. It takes a lot of time to delete posts. Some suggestions:

If you post a model it might be a good idea to open a separate thread for it as well so the discussion does not clutter up this thread. Just do a copy/past of the text into a new thread. You might even add a link here to the thread. If at some point in time you want to add information, please edit your original post rather than add a new one. That way this will be kept as a source of info for anyone wishing to build a model for the Kyosho RX without them having to read through tons of discussions or "wow, that's neat" posts.

If you have a question about a specific model and there is no separate thread for it, simply open a new thread, use the model name or builders name in the title and perhaps copy the text from this thread. Then ask away.

If a thread becomes too cluttered people aren't bothered to read through it all and the same questions are repeated over and over again.

Thanks,

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Aug 20, 2007, 03:51 PM
Harrisburg Intl, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
379 Posts
heres my model. Its a geebee, i made it by lookin at pictures that I found on google, I think it turned out pretty well for being made by me

It flys pretty nicely, Itll occasionaly loop but most of the time just does high alpha when i try, not sure why. But its light enough to hover and is fairly stable. Fun little flier

I think next ill try a micro ultimate, or something a little more 3d ish. or maybe a stick 3d plane(trying to go as light as possible for verticle flight)

(dont want to make epilot mad with another post )

specs-
10" wingspan
8" long(spiner-rudder)
made from foam plates
roughly 14grams AUW (with LG not pictured)
Jbiker31691 is offline Find More Posts by Jbiker31691
Last edited by Jbiker31691; Aug 20, 2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2007, 08:52 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I picked my mixer/reverser from Richard this morning. I think a hollow flying wing would be fun...

I did fly this today. I couldn't make it fly for beans this morning, but cut down the rudder throw, and hand launched it at half throttle, added some down trim,and it flies - very, very slowly.

It is 14 1/2" WS, ~19 grams, printed tissue glue-stick'd over 2 mm Depron, radio system is fully enclosed. The perimiter has a 2 mm depron lip added to it, the gear was installed, and other side was glued over it. It flexs some in flight, so I guess flying wires are next. We'll see if the little motor can still pull it then.

UPDATE: I corrected the upper wing's incidence, and the model is flying quite nicely now. The rudder is too sensitive and the CG is a tad to far back, but the model now cruises around and looks quite convincing in the air. Climbs at full power are not as dramatic as the Cessna, but is pretty close.

You can drag a 14" biplane around with this little motor!

UPDATE 2: The rudder horn I had wasn't long enough to add more holes, and I was already in the outside one, so I bit the bullet and did something I really hate... I added a big glob or orange-tack to the motor to bring the CG forward to 30% top wing chord. That was the ticket. Now, it flies really nice. Full rudder deflection is still a radical move and will perform a 4' diameter turn, but it no longer goes inverted (big plus!). Flying speed is lower than the the Cessna, climb is similar, and I really like the look of an Albatross on dawn patrol!

If I re-do this one, I either need lighter materials in the fuselage and tail, like Durobatics instead of Depron, or the tail would need to be thinned and lightened (I can't believe how much weight the tissue added), or the brick needs to be all the way forward. I would also reduce the rudder throw (there is a lot of rudder there, after all), and make it easier to adjust the wing settings.

In conclusion, this model proves to me that dime scale models are a source of material for this gear; this was reduced to 14" from a 16" dimer plan. 14" biplanes can be built for near the same weight as the Cessna, and they will fly nicely with this gear.

So, who has the SE-5 to challenge the Albatross?
Last edited by Mike Taylor; Sep 04, 2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2007, 10:54 PM
del
north of Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
1,827 Posts
The Maxium

Howdy, friends,

I've been reluctant to say much about this model. I was building it to be published in RCMW, so I wanted to give John Worth "the scoop".. But now that it's out there... here it is..

I wanted one so bad that I paid the cost to get one shipped to the US from Japan. I got it flying, then took it apart, and built another model. The result was a model with a 24 inch wing span and a much lower wing loading. She flies nice and slow and is a bunch of fun to fly in the street on calm evenings.

Drawings and more info on the Maxium can be found at RCMW:

http://www.cloud9rc.com/

You'll need a subscription, but it's worth it. (No pun intended...)

--del
del is offline Find More Posts by del
Last edited by del; Sep 05, 2007 at 11:00 PM.