HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2014, 05:39 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,327 Posts
Yippee!
MONSTER GIZMO 2m

I've alway been taught to think BIG , and to follow your dreams and live with out regret and make very day we have on this special place count. And with the last 12months being such a roller coaster with highs and low ,low's. To have some really amazing people around me and I feel , friends all over the world has really helped.

From the start we though we would do a 2m or 2.5m gizmo....... Peter almost had me convinced , BUT I chickened out and said lets do a small one and see how it fly's. So we agreed on doing the gizmo 36. This has given us a great real life results , that have been extraordinary to say the least. This gave us great confidence to stretch the envelope in plank aerodynamics and shoot for something bigger . Skype is the best thing ever. It allowed peter and I to talk for hours. It been a great journey and over the last 5 years he has become a very close friend. I have learnt so much off him , and it great to be able to compare notes and discussing aerodynamics , drag , lift distribution etc etc. and how what's on paper happens in real life.
I wanted to stick with a one piece planform , Purely on the bases of strength. Planks really need to be able to take punishment. A I have proven my building and product i use do the job nicely.
The monster gizmo 2m has a much higher AR , and run 4 different airfoils across the span. These have been pushed a lot further and we believe will be right on the money and make this behemoth rip around the sky.
Lift distribution in perfect , and has plenty of lift at low speed ( landing) and should be a real rocket at front side speeds , and still very very good at Ds speeds
The big beast incorporates a 4 surface wing. With 2 inner flaps/air brakes that are the span of the centre section. With the testing on the little gizmo with flaps showed promise , and with the greater stability of the 2m and more lift available at the tip should be fun playing around with set up.

This moulds are machined out of FREESYLE solid surface. And Geoff has done a wonderful job. We did have one hiccup due to static build up on the machine. Which caused the cut you can see near the tail recess. I filled it with polishable tooling coat before the finishing cut on the CNC. This has worked great , although you might see a minor imperfection on the part

Big thanks to peter for being such a great support and close friend. And for creating the best airfoils known in the plank world , and for putting trust and belief in me to take planks to the next level.
And to sean moloney for the great CAD work and finite eye and attention to detail.
During this process 4 million phone calls sean had to put up with and I apologise for this he was under the pump working his day job and building the DEEPEND dp3 and somehow found the time to help me. I can not thank you both enough forever in your debt.
And to all the boy's for there support and to jeff Irvine who started me in composites... " it all your fault" I'm up to my A$$ in composites every day...

And last of all the rock behind me " my little Suzi" With out her I'd be floundering around. Suzi has been so supportive with my quest to better myself and to build the best things I can , and to chase the dream. Impossible to relay how special she is and is humbling to see how good a person can be.
Ooh and for letting me spend half the Chinese/ US / Australian national debt on a massive set of toy plane moulds
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by timbuck; Jul 04, 2014 at 06:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2014, 05:54 PM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,327 Posts
More pics....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by timbuck; Jul 04, 2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2014, 05:54 PM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,327 Posts
Saved again
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Jul 04, 2014, 06:19 PM
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Apr 2010
415 Posts
Looks amazing! Huge congratulations! Going to very exciting to see this come to life, maybe you should get a web cam and charge us for watching you build
Again huge, mega, extraordinary, congratulations!
James
Redfarren is offline Find More Posts by Redfarren
Old Jul 04, 2014, 08:57 PM
Summer... is my time of year
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
6,748 Posts
Congratulations. Your work is amazing.

Rubio
67econoline is offline Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Jul 04, 2014, 10:19 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Miami
Joined Aug 2004
1,175 Posts
Oh damn that is a big plank.

DJ
Dangerous James is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous James
Old Jul 04, 2014, 10:39 PM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
5,825 Posts
Mmmmm.....Delicious!....Looks like mine will be ready, so just bring it to MSF please!
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Jul 05, 2014, 12:40 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,979 Posts
WOW!

Seriously impressive!

Can't wait to see the finished model fly.

Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Jul 05, 2014, 01:21 AM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
I'm more like "I can't wait to fly one...".

Here's to 500.

Hope they land well.

Suzi's a good woman to put up with a sloper!
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Jul 05, 2014, 01:27 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,240 Posts
Been waiting for Timbuktu to emerge.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jul 05, 2014, 01:46 AM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,327 Posts
Thanks guys.

No camera's in the shed , it like a pore mans NASA ...

Matin..
I can bring one to MSF , but I'm not swapping it for my wabbit your bringing me it just doesn't seem fair to me. Let me give you some $$$$

Randle
She won't do 500 , but 300 could be a chance and I'm sure it will land like a feather
And yes Suzi puts up with a lot from this slope addict

After spending the day cutting control surfaces and doing wipers , I had already guide coated the moulds and I couldn't help my self I had to get the sand paper out and start to wet rub them.
Quite relaxing really , bit of music , and afternoon sun going down.
Look me 2 hours to do both moulds with 400g just to knock the top off the machining marks. I'm very happy with how they have come out. I'll chip away at them over the next few weeks. As I have a lot of other things to build for people and they are my priority. Spending an hour a day on the mould they will come together nicely .

I need to pull a test wing plug to make sure alignment is perfect and also it's needed to do the base of the tail ( as I did on the 36) then make a DIY corian mould for it.
So plenty to do and I'm in no rush . I'm going away next week and back next sat. And I'll continue.

Today I drew control surfaces on the moulds and spar placement. Checking the thickness where my servo's can go. I'm pleased that they will fit behind the main spar with ease. And inboard I can fit 20mm servo and out board I can fit 15mm.

Looking forward to the next few months.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Jul 05, 2014, 02:21 AM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
5,825 Posts
Tim, Don't worry about it mate. I'm keen to invest in your operation......Consider it a down payment!
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Jul 05, 2014, 07:00 AM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,213 Posts
Very cool.
Well done on much hard work to get to this stage. No doubt it will be a winner
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Jul 05, 2014, 10:12 AM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
914 Posts
Sweet!!! Cannot wait to see the first flying video!!
Diceman89 is online now Find More Posts by Diceman89
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My used Voltij purchase!! :)