HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2014, 02:32 AM
2014% Newbie
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2014
20 Posts
Discussion
Alternative way to charge a lipo battery pack?

I need to have my plane flying in two days for personal reasons and my battery has ran out of power. My charge has also stopped working. I wa using the Turnigy 2s-3s balancer and was using the car battery as my source for power. Stopped charging for some reason. Is there an alternative way to charge a battery without having to buy these fancy chargers?
woohoo704 is offline Find More Posts by woohoo704
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2014, 02:44 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,452 Posts
I presume you're using a Turnigy balance-charger with your car battery, not simply a balancer? If so, it may have stopped charging because the car battery voltage has dropped too low -- have you run the car, or charged its battery, since you started charging the LiPos? If the input voltage drops below a certain threshold, the charger will simple stop working. Often it will give an error message, such as "Low input voltage", but not with simple ones like this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...02s%20balancer
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 01, 2014, 03:31 AM
2014% Newbie
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2014
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
I presume you're using a Turnigy balance-charger with your car battery, not simply a balancer? If so, it may have stopped charging because the car battery voltage has dropped too low -- have you run the car, or charged its battery, since you started charging the LiPos? If the input voltage drops below a certain threshold, the charger will simple stop working. Often it will give an error message, such as "Low input voltage", but not with simple ones like this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...02s%20balancer
The link with the turnigy charger is the exact same one I'm currently using. Supposedly, once the green light is off then that means my battery is completely charged. Well I checked the battery by hooking it up to a small DC motor and it spins slowly... Almost as if my battery has no power at all.
woohoo704 is offline Find More Posts by woohoo704
Old Feb 01, 2014, 06:26 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,244 Posts
Hook to a conventional DC power source with a resistor limiting the current. At the same time, connect a multimeter to check the voltage all the time. Disconnect when it reaches 4.2V/cell.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Feb 01, 2014, 06:38 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,655 Posts
Another thought is if you ran the LiPo battery down too far, the charger will refuse to charge it. When a LiPo is discharged below its minimum safe voltage level, it become unstable and damaged. The charger will refuse to charge it then as there is a fire hazard where the damaged pack could ignite.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2014, 07:41 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,513 Posts
The simple answer is No, there is no other way to charge a Lipo. At least not safely.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Feb 01, 2014, 09:06 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Hook to a conventional DC power source with a resistor limiting the current. At the same time, connect a multimeter to check the voltage all the time. Disconnect when it reaches 4.2V/cell.
This will work and has been used prior to good chargers being available but requires a variable voltage power supply.
For safety reasons, you would need to set the power supply to output 4.2V, no more, but I wouldn't go over 4V/cell and in fact, would look for someone with a charger to charge it for you if indeed your charger is broken..
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 01, 2014, 10:39 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woohoo704 View Post
Well I checked the battery by hooking it up to a small DC motor and it spins slowly... Almost as if my battery has no power at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Another thought is if you ran the LiPo battery down too far, the charger will refuse to charge it. When a LiPo is discharged below its minimum safe voltage level, it become unstable and damaged. The charger will refuse to charge it then as there is a fire hazard where the damaged pack could ignite.
^^^ +1 ^^^

I believe Earl has it right and you've simply destroyed your battery and your charger is likely fine. Easy to verify by checking voltage on the main output connector with a voltmeter. If it's less than 3.0 volts per cell, it's toast and should be completely discharged (if not already) and discarded.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2014, 11:29 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,583 Posts
Read this before you get another battery and charger: http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 02, 2014, 08:07 PM
AMA 1051390
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Jan 2014
184 Posts
That wouldn't happen to be the Turnigy 420 "Charger" would it? That thing is a piece of junk and destroyed two of my batteries.
LVNeptune is offline Find More Posts by LVNeptune