Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 07, 2004, 08:23 PM
Boss248
n/a Posts
Yippee!
My First Foamy...3DX

I did several practice planes to get the hang of this type of construction but this is my first get it in the air attempt.
I think I used to much epoxy installing the carbon tubes...it just feels a bit heavy and I have no gram scales yet so I am just guessing...I will install everything and see if it pulls out of my hand in vertical...if power seems to be there I will give it a toss.
I found some Bob Violett .032 x .250 carbon strips at the LHS and did a small test with it and it is stronger than the carbon tube and weighs almost nothing ...it is epoxyed to the foam and needs very little epoxy...so if this one pigs out I will use the carbon strips and next time I will use the ProBond glue and not epoxy for the tube.

Bluecor
Himax 2015/5400
GWS 350 D GWS 11/4.7 SF
Thunder Power 1320 3s
Phoinex 10
Hitec 55 servos
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2004, 08:23 PM
Boss248
n/a Posts
One More Pic.....
Old Mar 07, 2004, 08:25 PM
Boss248
n/a Posts
Oppps...forgot the upload...
Old Mar 07, 2004, 09:39 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2003
279 Posts
good job, i also got some Blue caor today and made a UB, is this FFF really wavy all the time, is there a way to straightne it or does the Carbon fiber do that.

Thanks
jacob is offline Find More Posts by jacob
Old Mar 07, 2004, 09:55 PM
Boss248
n/a Posts
I may be wrong but there seems to be 2 different kinds of Dow FFF. Some of the foamys are smooth and some are wavey like mine. I bought the Dow FFF that said "Underlayment" and no where did it say Fan Fold...I guess there are 2 diferent styles. I don't mind the wavey stuff and it does not seem to make any difference to the planes flying. As I said I am so new to this I am probably not giving you good info. I have had so much trouble locating it here in Austin Tx. because we just don't have cold enough weather here for the home improvement stores to stock it like they do in other parts of the country. I found some pink Owens Corning FFF at a place called Altex Supply which I think is a nation wide company, It works real well but it is a little softer and it is made from 2 3 mil. sheets that can seperate if coaxed.

The FFF is very flexable until you get the carbon tubes glued in and the plane glued together.

I am going to use ProBond urathane glue the next time...very easy, light , and plenty of working time.

I am doing a pizza box style foamy right now but rather than the carbon tube I will be using the carbon strips I spoke of...this stuff is extremely strong and when it is glued to both side of the FFF it is impossible to brake much less bend. This must have been tried before but I have not seen anything about it which may be due to it's cost.

BTW...what's a UB???
Old Mar 07, 2004, 10:00 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2003
279 Posts
Ultamite Biplane
jacob is offline Find More Posts by jacob
Old Mar 07, 2004, 10:07 PM
Boss248
n/a Posts
Damn...do I feel dumb...I knew that I built 2 UB's fromthe plans here on the net...I like the blue foam better...neither has flown yet as they were kinda practice planes but both are certainly flyable. I am having more fun that should be legal working with this foam and the small electric power systems. I have 2 glow planes ready for maidens but I have not even looked at them...I will fly them and my Formosa on Tues. at the flying field.