HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2013, 05:19 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
510 Posts
Question
VQ Models Pilatus PC-6 1580mm

Yesterday I bought one of these from a friend. It has only flown twice and is fully fitted out with motor/60A esc and servos.

I think I got a real bargain.................I paid only 60 Euros for it!

I've read somewhere that the wing can be a bit weak and the model should always be flown with the support struts. Can anyone confirm this?
Also, are there any other points I should be concerned about?

cheers,

Steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2013, 06:28 AM
Tezact
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Apr 2010
94 Posts
VQ Porter - A gem

You certainly got a bargain and a lovely aircraft as well.

The only weakness with the centre wing saddle I have experienced is following a couple of crashes. The wing separates nicely along the glue lines and that makes for a very easy repair.
I do fasten down the struts to hepl support the wing when pulling positive Gs but I,m pretty sure they are more cosmetic than structural.
The only mods I made were to attach simple split flaps and a couple of servos to operate them They wokrk VERY well and allow the traditional vertical dive to the runway then level out for a floaty landing - great fun.
I use a 4mAh 4S battery for 6-8 min flights. I also beefed up the upper attachment points for the u/c struts and did away with the wooden insert and made the u/c strut from two aluminium tubes that allow slide/compression with the stock spring.

It is a wonderful model - you will enjoy it

Checkout my vid
RC Pilatus PC6 - Vertical descent (4 min 7 sec)

Tezact
tezact is offline Find More Posts by tezact
Old May 01, 2013, 03:08 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
510 Posts
Thanks for the reply tezact; and the great vid! I was beginning to think that no-one was going to respond.

I bought the model because it was such a bargain and also because I was looking for something more relaxing to fly than my usual sport models. And, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Coincidentally, I've thought about trying to mount some flaps and would be interested to know/see how you did yours.

I'm also planning to add a small servo in order to deploy a couple of parachutes just for some extra fun.

Cheers,

Steve.
Old May 02, 2013, 02:48 AM
Tezact
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Apr 2010
94 Posts
VQ Porter Flaps

Hi Steve,
Adding flaps for me was about as scientific as drinking a glass of water.
I just cut some ply to match the depth of the ailerons, covered it to match the colour of the wing, then taped it (yes just taped it!) along the leading edge of the flap and added control horns and servos in a convenient place under the wings. I needed to add a couple of small pieces of thin ply to hold the servos tight against a wing rib.

Settings - partial flaps at about 20% and full flaps at 40%+

So easy and sooooo good
T
Old May 03, 2013, 12:31 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
510 Posts
Thanks again tezact.

If I do a flap mod that's how I would do it........I like to keep things simple whenever possible.

Steve.
Old May 12, 2013, 06:54 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
510 Posts
I maidened the PC-6 today in less than ideal conditions.

I used the recommended settings for control throws and all seemed to be more or less spot on. However, I may try a little differential on the ailerons and perhaps play around with a mix of aileron/rudder.

Two 5 minute test flights consumed an average of 1700mah from my 4000mah lipos so 7-8 minutes should be easily possible.

All in all I think it was 60 euros well spent.

Now to add a drop mechanism for parachutes.

Steve.
Old May 23, 2014, 04:57 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Manukau
Joined Jun 2008
136 Posts
I have just purchased a VQ Porter and I think flaps are a "must have". I'm prepared to at least "have a glass of beer" and am considering cutting flaps out of the trailing edge of the wing. It looks very much like the trailing part of the wing is solid balsa, can anyone confirm this ?

The shock absorber construction is a little tacky, I'm going to rebuild the whole undercarriage using carbon tubes and the existing springs with brass insert hinge tangs glued in the ends.

Will be running a Hyperion HS3026 1900Kv motor, 100A ESC, 2 cell A-Spec 6200 LiPo 65-130C, 6x EMAX ES9256HV servos running at 8.4v with no BEC. The RX will be a Sanwa RX631 also running at 8.4v. Prop will be a 10x7 3 blader to get close to the 1:10 scale size of 105". This will give close to 700w which should be about right and the high prop speed will give it a turbine like sound in the air.

Interested in your comments, especially people who have flown the VQ Porter
RCFlyingKiwi is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyingKiwi
Last edited by RCFlyingKiwi; May 23, 2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:08 PM
Tezact
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Apr 2010
94 Posts
Great plane

When I rebuilt the u/c much like you are planning, I put too strong a spring into the "piston" .
It has such a "hi lift" wing that anything other than a total greaser when landing will send it back into the air. It has however taught me to land much more smoothly.
So .... use a light spring and experiment till you get it right. You will also have to put some sort of reinforcement (small peice of ply) on inside the fuselage where the upper end of the vertical strut mounts.
Re the flaps - yes the trailing edge is solid but try the easy way first. Use simple split flaps under the existing wing without cutting of damaging you wing. Make them from thin ply say 2-3mm and about 150 cm long and 3-4 cm deep.
Mount a servo for each flap in the normal manner and use a piece of thin ply for the flap, covered or painted to suit. Use tape (yes just tape) to attach it to the underside of the wing and connect your servos. I have 3 settings - fully closed - about 20 deg and then about 40 deg.

You will be amazed how Porter like your STOL landing will be. I can drop from 200ft over the end of the strip , flare, land and stop in 60m.
That's my vid earlier on in this post
Enjoy
Last edited by tezact; May 23, 2014 at 10:22 PM. Reason: 30m was exageration
Old May 23, 2014, 10:14 PM
Tezact
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Apr 2010
94 Posts
re your motor

I think you should revise your motor too. I think you would do much better with a lower kv rated one.
I run an Arrowind 8536/04 (about 800KV) with a 3 blade 11 x 9 Master Airscrew prop. This gives about 90oz of static thrust while the model with 4S 3700 battery weighs in at 87oz.
Tezact
Last edited by tezact; May 23, 2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: 870 oz instead od 87 oz
Old May 24, 2014, 02:44 PM
Joined Jun 2008
136 Posts
Powering Design

Hi tezact, thanks for the post, I know this is not mainstream thinking but hey, why not be different.

I've seen lots of BEC problems ranging from RX interference to brown outs and thermal overloads. I'm looking for total reliability in the setup for my Porter. Running the servos and RX at full LiPo voltage removes a lot of failure points from the implementation.

My 6200 Lipo weighs in at 296g, a 4s 4700 at 408g so I'm lighter here by 100g. I'm going to do a pull-pull rudder and replace the elevator rod with a carbon rod, getting a bit of weight out of the back to compensate for the 100g up front.

A 10" prop is right on scale for the VQ 1:10 Porter, large props on small planes looks kind of funny.

You get 90oz (2551g) static, theoretically I'll get 2867g (101oz). At full throttle airspeed will be round 60mph at 88Amp, 10250rpm, and 82% propulsive efficiency (figures ex eCalc). The Hyperion 3026 is a rebadged Scorpion by the look of it so it is a quality product so it should last. A design worth exploring, proof will be in the flying of course and I'll certainly post the results here.

Our sport is constantly evolving, pushing new directions and designs is half the fun of it.
Last edited by RCFlyingKiwi; May 24, 2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:52 AM
Buy em , Break em,Buy em ect
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
13 Posts
Have one myself ,good flyer, but definately needs flaps, as it glides in forever.
might have to try to fit some myself
I run a power 46 on 4000 mah 4s ,70a speedo, 12x10 prop, gets 8mins easy.
pittso is offline Find More Posts by pittso
Old Jun 15, 2014, 01:28 PM
Joined Jun 2008
136 Posts
My PC6 upgrades are progressing, somewhat slowly. Got some very nice carbon/aluminum arrow shafts for the struts of the undercarriage, going to weld up the bronze joiner inserts and axles today. It is going to work just like the real ones. Found an exact match on the covering material so I can open up the bottom of the wing. Servos will be going in on their side with slotted cover plates. Flaps will be Fowler type with the hinge point extended down and back to the middle of the flap on aluminum tubes to get the Fowler action. Flap control rods will be totally internal through the wing to a hinge point on the leading edge of the flap. Pics will be posted.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:02 AM
Buy em , Break em,Buy em ect
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
13 Posts
sounds good keep us posted.
pittso is offline Find More Posts by pittso
Old Jun 29, 2014, 09:37 PM
Joined Jun 2008
136 Posts
Progress

My PC6 is coming along, will maiden next weekend with a bit of luck.

Took the forums advice and did split flaps rather than hacking into the wing. Used a 3mm carbon rod with 2mm ply ply flap glued to the back edge and a single servo actuator.

My undercarriage implementation is just about there, did it just like the real ones with 2 hinged A frames and a spring loaded strut giving 2cm of travel. There is a string inside the strut to stop it falling apart in the air. I used alloy/carbon arrow shafts that are really strong. Silver brazed up inserts at the right angles and epoxyed them into the shafts, the axle is a 5mm stainless bolt bent to necessary angle.

A pic is worth 1k words.......
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:11 PM
Tezact
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Apr 2010
94 Posts
Nice work Kiwi

Your solutions look really good. I hope the maiden is trouble free. They are a great model.
I'm about to maiden my Sebart PC 21 50e - another great plane by Pilatus
Tezact