HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:15 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Hi MiYeti,
I am not sure if it wil be too slow or not. I know when I triedthe gears in a servo I had, the reduction had the prop barely making any thrust.
You can experiment with it just in the hull and temporarly mounted to see the results. I have a buoy tender and lindberg tug, both are direct drive. Give it a shot, this hobby is all about trying different stuff.

(the first setup I had in my buoy tender were aircraft motors and an RC Car ESC, It was going so fast the model was almost a planing hull!!)

Cheers

G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:24 PM
I'm a crash test dummy ;)
United States, IL, Tinley Park
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Ok thanks! I will tape the servo in and see how well it works in the test tank (most commonly known as a bathtub) and will post a link to the video of it running.
MiiYeti is offline Find More Posts by MiiYeti
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:07 PM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiiYeti View Post
i was planning on using the original gears on the servo. will it still spin fast enough?
I found out yesterday it does not have enough RPM to move the boat so I removed the gears and am going direct drive from the servo motor. I will post some pictures tomorrow when I finish gluing in the motor and drive line.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:17 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,644 Posts
Way cool, young Sir, way cool! Welcome to the communal side of the hobby! You are doing great work.

craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:47 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,889 Posts
On mine, I found that the prop blades on the kit prop were too thick and blunt, sanding them to a better profile helped a lot.
If painting the LEDs, paint them white first, then black. The white is better for internal reflection, LEDs are usually intended to shine through the dome, so need all the help they can get when you want the light to appear somewhere else.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:09 AM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,044 Posts
Others have finished it, so why not you? I suspect this destroyer is none other than the Blue Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiiYeti View Post
Ive never built any other kits. I started on a lindburg destroyer and was not happy with the way it was going so I started this kit to see if it any better. I will go back to the destroyer over the summer (It will not win I am determined to finish it)

I hacked a 44OZ futaba S3003.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:25 PM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harquebus View Post
Others have finished it, so why not you? I suspect this destroyer is none other than the Blue Devil.
yes it was quite the hand full when i was trying to improve some of the parts such as the gaps on the back of the 5" guns and the gaps on the depth charges. but i will finish it! it cant beat me!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,044 Posts
Many people have been inspired to improve the Lindberg BD. If you need resources, don't hesitate to ask. Any progress on the tug?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2013, 01:57 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard-Officer View Post
MiiYeti,
I have hacked a couple of 1/4 scale servoès for a very small buoy tender, and with a 0.6'' 4 blade prop on each on 6V i get a very realistic power. You shouldnt need to put a gear reduction on this with only one motor and at 4.8V
G-O: Can you provide more detail on these 1/4 scale servos? What brand were they and did the output shaft on the motor have enough length (some or most are very short which makes adding a proper coupler difficult)? ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:10 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Quote:
G-O: Can you provide more detail on these 1/4 scale servos? What brand were they and did the output shaft on the motor have enough length (some or most are very short which makes adding a proper coupler difficult)? ?
Hi Harquebus,
I would have to find the box or receippt to remember exactly the brand, but they were a cheaper brand name, I didnt want to spend lots just to chop it up. the drive shaft is very short, you just gotta glue a piece of silicon tupe to it for a coupling, works very well onto a 1mm shaft

cheers
G-O
Old Sep 23, 2013, 08:33 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,044 Posts
I guess I was wondering what size motor was used in a 1/4 scale servo as they are larger than a standard sized servo.

mfr02: You were saying you had to sand the prop blades on the kit to get a better profile. I certainly want to utilize the kit prop just as others have done and partly because it is quite sturdy for a piece of plastic. Can you describe what you did to the prop? Would sanding the leading edge of the blade be enough (to help it have more bite)?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2013, 06:16 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,889 Posts
Here is what it looks like a depressing number of years along the line. Since I only figured out that it needed attention after trials, and consideration had not been paid to servicing, all the filing/sanding was done in situ. It did make a worthwhile difference.
The colouring was Humbrol brass with a few drops of pale green added. Back then, a lot of people thought it was a brass prop with a patina - after 15 years of use in salt and silt, its showing genuine weathering.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:23 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Quote:
I guess I was wondering what size motor was used in a 1/4 scale servo as they are larger than a standard sized servo.
Oh sorry Harquebus,
I am not sure the size, it might be around a 200 size. nice low rpm ones though for direct drive on 6v.
Cheers
G-O
Old Sep 28, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,044 Posts
G-O: Great, thanks for the info.

Mfr02: Prop looks noticeably thinned all along the blade surface and the imitation "patina" looks great. That's a detail often overlooked. Did you drill the prop all the way through to the hub?

And to the OP and other lurkers; finally have my hands on the other Lindberg tug, the Coast Guard Tug "weighing in" at 3.5" wide and a little over 11.75" long. This is an altogether upgrade on the Diesel Tug despite the smaller size. Better profile on the area around the prop for increased water flow as others have noted and the parts for everything else are less bulky, thinner and more delicate so there's less massive topside weight which the Diesel Tug exhibits. This is a steam tug complete with whistle on the funnel and ostensibly of wooden construction with all the planking detail (which could be sanded off to make a steel hulled, more modern tug). Good kit and they are readily available again.

Any progress, MiiYeti?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Harquebus; Sep 29, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:52 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,889 Posts
Yes, the prop was drilled through. That was the only way I could think of to get the hole accurate - make sure the front face was flat, mount it on the bed of the vertical drill, get the bit centered, and go for it very slowly.