Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 20, 2003, 10:42 PM
USA, TX, Live Oak
Joined Oct 2002
681 Posts
Some say it's a Dandy!

Here's my Dandy. It weighs in at 10.4 oz auw. It has a stock GWS 300 motor and a 2 cell lipoly e-tec pack. I left the gear off to save weight and to make it cleaner in the air. I fly from a large grass field that is rough enough to make landing gear usless. By leaving off the gear, I'm saving .7 of an ounce.

This is the same powerplant and battery in my SS which weighs 14.4 oz. , so I think this little plane should have plenty of power since it doesn't have the extra weight and drag of the SS. I'm flying it with a Berg 6 receiver. Cirrus sevos and a GWS speed control. It was a lot more work than I imagined, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out. I hated solite at first, but now I find it easy to work with and like it. You just have to learn how to use it.

I will maiden it Saturday.

Patrick
ptglass is online now Find More Posts by ptglass
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:04 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
Nice job on a sweeet looking Dandy Sport, should fly very nicely at that weight with that gear
roguewolf is offline Find More Posts by roguewolf
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:01 AM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Patrick,

Nice covering job! Welcome to the DS club! I also fly sans gear, as I primarily fly from grass fields. Without the gear, my LiPo's balance perfectly .

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:13 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
great job on a nice plane, I'm sure you'll love to fly it!
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Oct 21, 2003, 09:58 AM
USA, TX, Live Oak
Joined Oct 2002
681 Posts
Thanks guys. Great looking plane Andy!!

Patrick
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:03 AM
Joined Sep 2003
130 Posts
By removing the gear for landing on grass, doesn't it make the prop more vulnerable to breakage and or bends when landing?

After all that is a nice sized prop.
Skawrpion is offline Find More Posts by Skawrpion
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:35 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,684 Posts
Patrick,
Good job. You will be impressed with the 300. Are you running the C gearing with a 10x8? It is a very stable, predictable plane and with higher throws, very quick and exciting.

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Oct 21, 2003, 04:09 PM
USA, TX, Live Oak
Joined Oct 2002
681 Posts
Yes, I am using the 300 with C gearing and the 1080 prop. About the prop breaking - the field that I fly in has grass about 2 feet high - don't have to worry about the prop ever touching the ground. I'll just cut power and dead stick in. However, I wish I could find a folder that woud fit the GWS gearbox. Anybody out there no how to put a folding prop on a GWS gearbox? I primarily fly gliders and that's what we use on them - they work great by the way. Usually, even if the speed control doesn't have a brake, you can just slow it down by nosing up and the prop will fold.

Patrick
Old Oct 21, 2003, 07:03 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Skawrpion,

I've never had a problem **yet**, with belly landing the DS . Since I fly mainly over grass, I was having nose-in problems when the grass was high. When the grounds crew mowed the grass, landings were great ! A couple of times I came in a little too steep and fast and ended up tearing out the gear.

I just decided to remove the gear and it's worked out fine since. The grass provides a nice cushion, and I perform a slight flare before touchdown. The plastic prop "gives" enough so I haven't experienced a broken prop or a bent shaft. I have over 60 landings so far.

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider