HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
I just returned from crashing mine.. Not sure but I think I have a RX problem or a motor cutting off problem.. It's repairable but till I find out what's been causing these short out of control problems that have happened on every flight so far.. I don't think it's the battery all flights have been with the Hyperion 240's as the battery that came with it has a bad cell.. I just checked the battery that was in the final crash and it's at 4.1 volts both cells 8.2 total..

I'm going to check the flight video's now and see if I can notice anything..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,470 Posts
Here is the video from my successful test flight. It didn't take much time to feel comfortable with it in the air. Loops, rolls, and doppler passes on the first flight is not standard for me but the model just felt solid from the start!

Great Planes micro edf F-86 Sabre test flight (2 min 58 sec)
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Is the higher C rating of the hyperion tripping over current protection? Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I just returned from crashing mine.. Not sure but I think I have a RX problem or a motor cutting off problem.. It's repairable but till I find out what's been causing these short out of control problems that have happened on every flight so far.. I don't think it's the battery all flights have been with the Hyperion 240's as the battery that came with it has a bad cell.. I just checked the battery that was in the final crash and it's at 4.1 volts both cells 8.2 total..

IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:42 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:

This is the type of stuff that makes me hesitant to purchase new models so soon after they come out
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:02 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
This is the type of stuff that makes me hesitant to purchase new models so soon after they come out
And what makes it all the more fun to me...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:08 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Is the higher C rating of the hyperion tripping over current protection? Just a thought.
I was thinking that,,, but from watching the video's I hear the motor still running even when it looks like I have no control of the plane at all BUT THE PLANE IS SLOWING DOWN maybe the blades are slipping on the motor shaft????.. I'm going to hold off till you guys can watch the video and then we will talk about what it looks like to you guys..

When she was behaving she's really nice to fly but when you start getting things happening that you didn't tell it do,, and your experience say's that wasn't the wind this time it makes you nervous and when they start happening more often and to a greater degree and you crash it's a downer..
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Here is the video from my successful test flight. It didn't take much time to feel comfortable with it in the air. Loops, rolls, and doppler passes on the first flight is not standard for me but the model just felt solid from the start!
Very nice!

What battery were you using?

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:16 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
My crash video.. Watch it and then tell me what's going on here..

GP Micro F-86 crash,, not sure why you tell me what you think (3 min 39 sec)

I'm now thinking that that battery might be bad,, but it's the one that flew fine on the first flight today and I had recharged it with the GP charger in the truck till it said it was full about a hour,, I was flying the Champ and Fokker also today between F-86 flights..

But I put it on my Accucell when I got home it said like I posted 4.10v on each cell BUT now after 70 minutes of balance charging at .2 amps it shows that it has taken 233 mah and the cells are both at 4.14v..

I need someone to fly theirs and chop the power and see what the plane does if set up for level flight at 3/4 power..
Last edited by livonia bob; Feb 16, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
And what makes it all the more fun to me...
Crashing and having to pay to fix things if the crash is bad enough? Sounds like fun.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:10 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,473 Posts
it almost looks tail heavy at first, or the wind is making it pitch back wards

then it seems that its loosing power

hmm

maybe tactic acting up?

Quote:
My crash video.. Watch it and then tell me what's going on here..

http://vimeo.com/36917985

I'm now thinking that that battery might be bad,, but it's the one that flew fine on the first flight today and I had recharged it with the GP charger in the truck till it said it was full about a hour,, I was flying the Champ and Fokker also today between F-86 flights..

But I put it on my Accucell when I got home it said like I posted 4.10v on each cell BUT now after 70 minutes of balance charging at .2 amps it shows that it has taken 233 mah and the cells are both at 4.14v..

I need someone to fly theirs and chop the power and see what the plane does if set up for level flight at 3/4 power..
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:11 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Very nice! What battery were you using?
The stock 200 lipo. I did tape a dime to the lipo to get the CG a little farther forward for the test flight. It probably would have been fine without the dime but I wanted to be safe and not sorry. With the larger 340 lipo mentioned in the manual, the CG will probably be where its set now with the dime.

On a side note I also want to mention that the "Any Link" could not have been any easier to use! I just plugged it in with my futaba transmitter and it immediately established a connection with the F-86 receiver. The model took about 15 minutes to be flight worthy. In addition every control surface moved the correct direction from the get-go. I have no idea if that was intentional but I after seeing the detail put into this design, it wouldn't surprise me. The control surface deflections for the test flight were per the instructions and without any expo. Its a very straight forward model! It can fly at a very nice pace but also has the ability to slow down. The video taken of my test flight kinda speaks for itself.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:17 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
From my limited experience, both of these relate to wind. It seems as if the first crash the nose dipped causing the wind to push it down, you correct by a hard bank to the right where the wind caught the large flat surface rolling the aircraft over and into the pavement. However, the glitching sound at the end seems weird.

The second one looks like a complete stall, turning into the wind the aircraft lost speed and lift, pilot corrected by applying up elevator further slowing it down and it stalled and plummeted. Now what caused that stall is questionable, could have been loss of full power or simply the plane could not provide enough thrust to penetrate the wind.

That is my take on it.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:30 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Here is my first flight today it went better than the last one..

GP F-86 Greenmead 2_16_12 1st flight today (3 min 16 sec)
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:31 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Much better flight! Were the winds the same for the 2nd video as in the first? I think Indy Matt's suggestion for what happened in the first video seems to make sense.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,425 Posts
Flys pretty nicely.
How does it sound in the flesh so to speak? Noisy? Quiet? Hard to tell in the videos - also my computer doesn't currently have any sound.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh