View Poll Results: Model platform
Delta 88 57.52%
Non Delta 65 42.48%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:43 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
864 Posts
the red and white plane It's nice, but it has allready been done. Rich can u make a quik drawnig of your idea for the inlet, not sure I follow u. Here a thourgh..... Lets make the inleet area the same as the outleet!

My thoughs is..... If the inleet is bigger than the outleet the airspeed at the inleet is slower than the outleet, and this can act like a break. please comment.
frank40 is offline Find More Posts by frank40
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:57 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,204 Posts
Check this one out. It's somebody elses idea, but a pretty neat one if you ask me!

http://www.ikeaerospace.com/
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:00 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
delta mod

hey Frank

I've modded your last drawing, so you can see the changes I would make. first of all, I slightly increased the LE rake of the canards. secondly, I norrowed the fuse and added the coke bottle shape to area rule the fuse. thirdly, I increased the aerodynamics of the cockpit, by sharpening the rear edge and also narrowing the turtle deck. if you look at the bottom view, you'll be able to see what I mean by recessing the intakes within the sides of the fuse, therefore narrowing the frontal cross section and reducing drag. it's a rough drawing of course, but the intake area and the exhaust area are roughly the same.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:32 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank40 View Post
Hi Kevin. Itís looks like you model performs nicely and handles low speed to, what kind of airfoils do you use.
Thanks Frank,
I used the MH23 airfoil with 2-3 degrees of washout.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:42 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Thanks for informing me guys. Still learning. Heck, this is even what I am going school for.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:55 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
you'll learn all about area ruling then. believe me!!!!!! LOL. the coke bottle shape is much more slippery than a straight or cigar shaped fuselage, especially for a delta planform. at our speeds, I'm not sure that it would make a huge difference for sport flying, but it might make a difference for guys entering speed contests with high power setups. the biggest advantage to sport flying is that it just looks plain sexier than a straight line.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 30, 2011, 02:59 AM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Scherpenheuvel-Zichem
Joined Aug 2000
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
is it just me, or does the red and white plane kinda look like the offspring of a Mig 21 and a Saab Draken? LOL.
haha, It's not the first time I get this comment, for the draken you are wrong but for the Mig you've got it wright on one detail. Actually it's based on the first drawings of a design Willy Messerschmidt did for the Spanish air-force in the early fiftys. The P300 it never made it to construction in spain but in Egypt they have build a few prototype's but they looked completly different.

the model was my first turbine jet and I don't wanted to use a thrust-pipe so I moved the turbine to the back of the plane. therefore the wing was also moved farter backwards because of the CG. Then I made a little foam model and the testflights showed that the for stability reasons the vertical fin had to be enlarged. An bigger fin looked a bit silly so I took the little fin under the fuselage from a Mig21.

Quote:
LuvEvolution7
the biggest advantage to sport flying is that it just looks plain sexier than a straight line.
Today 12:42 AM
That's wy I took the sexy fuse from a Mirage2000, but I wanted a more classic wing set-up. The first wing was a little swept back and looked not bad but then I took the wing and stabiliser from a F100. The design is already a few years old and was well advanced but never was build, it still wanders around in my head but now I would build it with a decent EDF instead of a turbine.

Von W is offline Find More Posts by Von W
Last edited by Von W; Apr 30, 2011 at 03:03 AM. Reason: spellingsfout
Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:33 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
864 Posts
Hi there

Rich. I realy like what you have drawn, it's the way to go.

Von W. I realy like your mix of Mirage and F100 looks awsome, did you draw it your self.....That means you have cad skills

Steve C. Well never seen that before but it's to special if you arsk me.

Kevin Cox. It seemas that this profil preforms verry well.

Can't get the sideprofile right on the mod. Rutan ARES, can I please get some help.

Mayby it's time to deside on the model???, any thourghts.
Last edited by frank40; Apr 30, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old May 01, 2011, 02:43 AM
Joined Aug 2000
37 Posts
Hey Frank40, and of course all the others,

Yes I did draw it myself, indeed, it means that I have some CAD skills but I'm certainly not a professional designer and I use them almost exclusively for designing my planes.
I also like the looks of the Mirage F100 a lot but one of the reasons I never built it is the highly swept wing. Do you know the famous Huckebein?

Well I designed and flew three of theme, they flew but they were very tricky to fly. One reason is the position of the exhaust it is very low compared with the CG, it means that you have to be very careful with the power if you are flying slowly because it pushes the nose up instead of getting some speed. If you didn't cut the power quickly it comes to a spin and I never recovered a Huckebein from a spin . Of course this is not a problem with the Mirage F100, What you often see with those highly swept wings is that they wobble when flying slowly and if you roll the planes it looks often like a barrel roll.
I like to fly my jets very low and very fast with some big loops and slow rolls so they have to listen tight to my control inputs.
Maybe it's just me but I'm a bit scared that with this wing it's not ideal
Old May 01, 2011, 03:42 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
864 Posts
Hi Von W

If I may suggest a small chance in your design, I would offset the stabilizer to minimize the interference from the main wings.

I think your cad skills are awesome.

Reg. your Huckebein. I think the problem was your thrust line, I would think it had to have a bit down thrust, because of the high point of mass in the vertical axel and then trimmed for straight flight.
Old May 01, 2011, 05:05 AM
Joined Aug 2000
37 Posts
thanks for compliment frank,
The past few years I did not much about designing modells my last bigger design I made was a foam DC-3.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=skybus

I know about the thrust line and if I would build a new huckebein I would built it with some down thrust. I still like the design but for now I've had it with the Huckebein, my last one still survives as a nice static modell .

About the Mirage F100, I quickly put some negativ dihedral in the stab to get a little offset.

The second option is this

Personally I prefer the first one
Last edited by Von W; Sep 15, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old May 01, 2011, 05:48 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
864 Posts
Hi Von W

I realy like your cad work, very nice jobs. Yes moving the stabs. up looks just great Hope that's ok that I come with suggestions for changes.
Old May 01, 2011, 07:09 AM
Joined Aug 2000
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank40 View Post
Hi Von W

I realy like your cad work, very nice jobs. Yes moving the stabs. up looks just great Hope that's ok that I come with suggestions for changes.
Sure it's ok, it maybe encourage me yet to begin the construction
Old May 01, 2011, 02:39 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,773 Posts
Frank, here is my help on the side view. I tried to keep the vertical close to the original.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old May 01, 2011, 03:15 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
864 Posts
Hi Kevin. That looks awsome love your tail (don't get me wrong) thanks. Maby I will make the nouse a bit slimmer, hope u don't minde.