Closed Thread
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:45 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
The ZxD is lighter and way cheaper (when on sale, which is quite often). It runs at 60FPS. Couple of frame grabs from today, flown on a 2m glider. I know this is OT, but I had really hoped the new keyfobs would use this technology
Yes, this camera and others do similar things, but they all have at least 5MP CMOS sensors, bigger batteries, and LCD screen, and many more oz. of weight and $$ more cost. Even stripping off the LCD, you can't fit what's left in a key fob size case or sell it for $40 or less. In short, there is no equal, ALL things considered, to the HD key cam (yet), which is the subject of this thread.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 14, 2011 at 07:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:00 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
I agree Tom. For $40 there is nothing that even comes close to what these cams can do.

BTW, I ordered mine from internet-shop365. How long on average does it take to get here from China from these guys?

Doug
djdavid60 is online now Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:25 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I really struggled with the right button dance for stills, too... took me a while to figure it out. I need to get some FAQ links to your web cam button dance tips, too.

Or, if you had the time, maybe you could gather your web cam procedure and this video/picutre procedure into one new post, and I could just link to the one page to clarify all this in one place?
Sounds good to me! I can just edit the original post with the webcam instructions to add this, then you can just edit the title of the link on the front... Sound good?
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:33 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,413 Posts
10 days or so.
Hi guys, Again when I let the cam continually run the file size get to a gig the starts another file, right? well when I try to open it I get, Error -2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie (PTDC0001.MOV), and the only way to open it I found was this Prism Video File Converter then it can be saved as a wav. Pretty cool little gismo! I even got it to do web cam the first time I tried! I got it mainly to use as a hat cam. The recorder does a pretty good job a catching moving objects and does well in a variety of lighting conditions as in shadow to bright area but needs good bright daylight for catching speed passes! Question, how do you ad the on and off file to the root drive, is it ok to ad it then turn off/on then delete file?
Tom
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Sounds good to me! I can just edit the original post with the webcam instructions to add this, then you can just edit the title of the link on the front... Sound good?
Perfect... thanks for the help!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:53 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,358 Posts
Quote:
That's it! I was comparing with the weight quoted for the Gopro back here

I paid $69, less a $10 coupon.
Victapilot,

That Kodak ZxD camera takes great video and screen captures but there is no comparison between it and HD keycam if you want a lightweight and tiny video camera at a low price.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 14, 2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:00 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
10 days or so.
Hi guys, Again when I let the cam continually run the file size get to a gig the starts another file, right? well when I try to open it I get, Error -2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie (PTDC0001.MOV), and the only way to open it I found was this Prism Video File Converter then it can be saved as a wav. Pretty cool little gismo! I even got it to do web cam the first time I tried! I got it mainly to use as a hat cam. The recorder does a pretty good job a catching moving objects and does well in a variety of lighting conditions as in shadow to bright area but needs good bright daylight for catching speed passes! Question, how do you ad the on and off file to the root drive, is it ok to ad it then turn off/on then delete file?
Tom
That wierd error has been reported before, but still don't know what causes it. Are you using a Quicktime player when this error comes up? That was the case before, which makes this even stranger since both the .MOV file format and Quicktime are Apple products. But the audio codec used by the camera is a wierd one in the Windows PC world. I wonder if it's also part of the Apple world, or part of the problem? Maybe the MAC guys can sort that out?

But you said you saved it as a .WAV file, which is audio only. Are you just trying to capture the audio for something like a Doppler Speed Analysis program. You might try the AviDemux editor, which I've been recommending to the Windows crowd for editing the .MOV files. It's also available for MAC and Linux boxes. I'd be interested in knowing if that makes the native files editable without the wierd "bad public movie atom" error, which sounds very radioactive to me!

Now to your Question: "how do you ad the on and off file to the root drive, is it ok to ad it then turn off/on then delete file?"

Are you referring to the date removal firmware patch? The procedure for that is linked in the FAQ page in post #3. To copy the file to the root directory, either copy/paste or drag/drop it into the folder that opens when you click on the camera's flash card icon. That's the same folder where you see the DCIM folder. The new firmware file goes along side the DCIM folder, NOT in it.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
BTW, I ordered mine from internet-shop365. How long on average does it take to get here from China from these guys?

Doug
Depends a bit on where you live and which port of entry into the US the mail happens to be delivered. Living in Seattle area, I've had goods shipped via Hong Kong Post go to NY as the port of entry, then have to come back all the way to the West coast. Other times, it comes in through CA. Typically, I look for the stuff in about 7-9 days after tracking shows it being accepted by their local mail system. There can be delays there that can last over a week getting shipped out on occasion (mostly holiday times).
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:59 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Yes, this camera and others do similar things, but they all have at least 5MP CMOS sensors, bigger batteries, and LCD screen, and many more oz. of weight and $$ more cost. Even stripping off the LCD, you can't fit what's left in a key fob size case or sell it for $40 or less. In short, there is no equal, ALL things considered, to the HD key cam (yet), which is the subject of this thread.
Yes, of course! Actually the ZxD has a 1.6MP sensor. I just like it, haven't had to focus it, there's no date, no vignetting, the horizon is flat (compared to GoPro), and so far I haven't bricked it.

Ok, I'll go away now!
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,415 Posts
Car Charger Driving Noise Test

This is a portion of some car driving testing I did today. Considering what a lousy day it was for shooting video to begin with, and also with the camera pointing out through a wet wind shield, it looked to me that the focus was quite good across the entire width, even to the edges. I'll study that more on a bright sunny day.

I posted this clip to clearly show the "spitting static" noise the camera picks up when driving. You can hear the noise drop off to the point of being inaudible (at least to my admittedly poor high frequency hearing) when the car's engine drops to idle at the stop light. Then it starts up again and gets louder as I accelerate and turn the corner. So, I think it's safe to say now that the camera is picking up noise from the car's ignition system, and can be expected when recording while driving with the car charger powering the camera.

<EDIT UPDATE> Another user has reported (and I have confirmed) that static noise occurs on in-car records even without the car charging cable connected to the camera, so it appears the noise is true radio frequency interference from the car's ignition system being pick up by the camera's circuitry. No shielding methods to eliminate this have yet been reported. <EDIT UPDATE>

Here's the video clip:

HD Key Cam Car Charger Test (0 min 48 sec)
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 24, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,415 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I'll go away now!
Be sure to come back... with your HD key cam vids!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:24 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,413 Posts
Tom I misspoke, I ment to say wmv, the kb's are less.
Also I get the same static just wearing the hat cam while driving.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,358 Posts
What's not to like on this HD camera? It's small, lightweight and HD video. I don't give a hoot about the vignetting or the focus. I go back to the little edvr (l think that's what is called) I bought and tucked away who knows where when I bought a V3 key cam. Now, with this camera I am satisfied using it on a plane or as a hat cam. I bought a couple of emergency chargers (on the way) so I can rig it up with my hat cam and take videos all day long at the flying field. With all the freeware and other inexpensive video editing programs I now have (Video Pad & AVI Demux) I can quickly edit and annotate my videos. I don't even think of using Adobe Premiere Element or Windows Moviemaker are off the table for me.

Comparing this to the two Jazz HDV 178 camcorders I have it feels like an overweight relic when I compare the key cam to the Jazz.

All in all, what a hoot!

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:46 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,369 Posts
I really didn't mean to be critical of the HD808. For what it is - it's great. A miracle in fact. I just can't find a fit for my needs at present. Have fun, that's what this is all about. Got to admit the ZxD would look silly on my hat
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:00 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Also I get the same static just wearing the hat cam while driving.
AH... thank you for that info. That seems to confirm the camera is just picking up RFI noise from the ignition, with perhaps no way to suppress it.
Closed Thread