HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:35 AM
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
Do u guys know the ALZRC has come out something that look catchy like the goblin? I was gonna buy one but then I stopped as I think it is not practical at all with all the canopy n tail....check it out. Not expensive at all...450 class n also 480 class.....

http://www.rc711.com/shop/alzrc-heli...c-165_273.html
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:43 AM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,135 Posts
The wind is blowing today. Did you send it this way integrity? Lol , i guess i will do a nano test first .
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:03 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
I have got a problem:

Brand new Devo 10 TX with a existing 2703 H-D RX it won't bind random by turning on the TX first then after the Devo 10 is finished booting then turn on the RX & I am not using the bind plug as it is only to be used to clear a fixed channel.

I know there are 3 other people out here that have this TX & RX combination, any ideas? TX not working, RX blown too when the old TX burned a component?

The RX lights flash but it won't initialize a beep!

I'm ready to trash the TX & RX this is really not making my day!
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Last edited by iflyhelis; Nov 17, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:21 AM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
Do u guys know the ALZRC has come out something that look catchy like the goblin? I was gonna buy one but then I stopped as I think it is not practical at all with all the canopy n tail....check it out. Not expensive at all...450 class n also 480 class.....

http://www.rc711.com/shop/alzrc-heli...c-165_273.html
I have the Devil 450. If you're interested in it, I did a short build log and review here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1758643
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:17 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
It seems that SAB is the high end brand at the moment but this seems to rotate rapidly. Henseleit, Kasama, Synergy and others have certainly held this title before. What you usually get is the same people buying at least one from every brand but rarely fly them. Here is another rarely heard off high end brand: Shape S8 (800 sized)

http://youtu.be/g2PChl3mj7Q
I honestly believe that SAB is the "Apple" or "iPhone" of helicopters. Sure it's designed well and uses some quality parts. But i mostly believe it's 80% hype based on the look of the heli. The canopy, shape and design have made it the "Fad" of the day. They only started releasing in 2011 so they are the new kid on the block and everyone is interested in what they are doing who they will be friends with.

That being said the SAB helis are probably the best mechanical design available in a RC helicopter, if you can afford it and afford to repair the thing. Also, just watch a time lapse build of the Goblin, then watch a time lapse build of a X5/X7 by Gaui. You'll see what i mean about the complexity of the build. It's a very interesting design. But being so new, i still wonder what the trade offs are for having a pure belt driven main and tail rotor with no typical main gear setup to speak of. The gears that do exist are actual metal. Typically speaking a belt has elasticity and loss of power and torque. not to mention lack of immediate response compared to a shaft or gear system. But it looks like they have worked their way around this issue pretty well.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:19 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
Well I found the fix to the no binding after some research.

It seems that the Walkera TX's & I'll name them because these models are to blame: 2801 Pro & all of the Devo series.

The instructions from Walkera States for Devo 10 to turn the TX first & within 10 seconds to plug in your battery for your helicopter. That is fine if it was properly "Bound" at the factory. The instructions I saw for the 2702V RX states to turn on the RX first & then the TX.

The reason for this is, all of the above TX's send out the "Bind" signal within the first 3 seconds only if you turn on said TX first you can't plug in the RX quick enough & it won't initialize at all.

I don't like the idea of the first bind by turning on the RX first, then the TX but the receiver showed no signs of life when I turned it on, but did as soon as I fired up the TX.

This is only done for the first initial "Bind" after that you can go back to TX first then RX 2nd.

So my TX & RX all work now after a reversal of instructions, now I have to fix my main gear, for some reason it is not level & is making the heli wobble on spool-up.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:39 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Well I found the fix to the no binding after some research.

It seems that the Walkera TX's & I'll name them because these models are to blame: 2801 Pro & all of the Devo series.

The instructions from Walkera States for Devo 10 to turn the TX first & within 10 seconds to plug in your battery for your helicopter. That is fine if it was properly "Bound" at the factory. The instructions I saw for the 2702V RX states to turn on the RX first & then the TX.

The reason for this is, all of the above TX's send out the "Bind" signal within the first 3 seconds only if you turn on said TX first you can't plug in the RX quick enough & it won't initialize at all.

I don't like the idea of the first bind by turning on the RX first, then the TX but the receiver showed no signs of life when I turned it on, but did as soon as I fired up the TX.

This is only done for the first initial "Bind" after that you can go back to TX first then RX 2nd.

So my TX & RX all work now after a reversal of instructions, now I have to fix my main gear, for some reason it is not level & is making the heli wobble on spool-up.
Yeah, i often have to bind my 2702V several times before it will beep indicating a proper bind and that the motor is also initialized. With some of my other helicopters, binding with the gear switch down will cause the swash to tilt on bind. When i first plug in my 2702V the LED flashes rapidly. I can then turn on the TX and it will go solid. OR what i usually do is turn on the TX and then plug in the RX. But often the light does not go from rapid flashing to solid lit. Which indicates it's still searching for bind. I can turn off the TX and turn it back on and it will still bind successfully. I usually go ahead and unplug and replug for good measure after that and let it rebind again.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:41 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
I updated my 450 log with the info about the "New" swash plates. I suppose i found a way to keep them viable in use with the "old" rotor head. But i will still be going Align DFC on this one.

Custom V450 - Parts Build & Mods

V450D01 - "New" swash needs different config with "old" rotor (0 min 0 sec)

V450D01 - Best i can do in this wind - 11-17-12 (0 min 0 sec)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:30 AM
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
had a really bad crash just then on my v450. been flying it for months n first crash. damn! apparently my fren who was flying his ladybird with Devo 7 bind with my 450... I do not know how..... replaced main gear, blades, feathering shaft and ball links.... up flying again now..... but if u guys r using Devo tx n flying with another Devo, pls make sure u check that u have a safe bind....
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:29 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,774 Posts
I think I should have rebound before my latest crash too... new main blades, bottom frame plate, skids, canopy, canopy mounts, servo arm, swash to grip link was the cost of this 3 second flight.
Had zero control of the tail. No idea why cos it was just fine on the bench.

V450D01 - Tail fail and crash... (0 min 23 sec)
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:12 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I think I should have rebound before my latest crash too... new main blades, bottom frame plate, skids, canopy, canopy mounts, servo arm, swash to grip link was the cost of this 3 second flight.
Had zero control of the tail. No idea why cos it was just fine on the bench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzH5b...e_gdata_player

OUCH, it got cheese grated in the fence!

Check the aluminum mounting arm for the tail rocker. I break them all the time just randomly. Otherwise your servo could be the fault. Is it a stock servo?

Today i went to take off in my v450, the white one i usually fly. I noticed when i kicked up to ST1 there was a very strange sound. I brought it in closer and saw the tail vibrating all over the place. It flew fine yesterday. No crash or anything. So i looked over the tail and spun the rotor looking for bends or something. After a while i noticed that the CF lower frame was buckling. I suppose after about, *iunnuh* 30-40 crashes the CF frame's plies began to separate. I think it's causing play in the tail boom causing a high frequency wag or something. I ordered new CF frames. Good thing i have two of these upgraded tanks! So i still have one to fly. It's also a good thing i managed to get the "New" swash working within reason. It's about due for a break down anyway to check for broken frame screws !!! I forgot to order another screw set! Oh well. I'll just cross my fingers, i guess.

So to the backup plan:
Y-V450D01 - Windy loops and junk (0 min 0 sec)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
so i was using my iphone to post the message yesterday and couldn't really explain what happened.....

now i have a devo 10 tx.beleive it or not.... i HAD 4-5 occasions where the tx bound with 2 of my helis and I COULD fly both of them at the same time....what happened each time was i did not unplug the first heli....i went to choose another model.....turned the tx off....turned it back on with the new model...n plug the second heli on.....(having the first one still with battery attached).....n both were under the same control!!!! i never had such an issue with 2801....but after yesterday's incident of where my fren's devo 7 crossed control my v450....i was actually quite mad at how the hell could these devo txs could have cross frequency binding..... grrrrr.....didn't cost much to repair n only 30 mins of my life....but it was allllll unnecessary.....
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:23 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
so i was using my iphone to post the message yesterday and couldn't really explain what happened.....

now i have a devo 10 tx.beleive it or not.... i HAD 4-5 occasions where the tx bound with 2 of my helis and I COULD fly both of them at the same time....what happened each time was i did not unplug the first heli....i went to choose another model.....turned the tx off....turned it back on with the new model...n plug the second heli on.....(having the first one still with battery attached).....n both were under the same control!!!! i never had such an issue with 2801....but after yesterday's incident of where my fren's devo 7 crossed control my v450....i was actually quite mad at how the hell could these devo txs could have cross frequency binding..... grrrrr.....didn't cost much to repair n only 30 mins of my life....but it was allllll unnecessary.....
IMO, it's your fault for not unplugging your heli, right? I mean, maybe you should consider how much safer it is not to leave your helicopters just sitting around powered up? There was a guy here that left is Align 700 powered up inside his house and brought his 600 out side to fly in his back yard. There he was flying 3D all over the place. Came back inside the house and everything was wrecked. The 700 hovered up and smashed the ceiling fan, dry wall, coffee table, big screen tV. It was flopping around in there most of the flight it sounded like. His wife wanted to kill him i'm sure. Just something to think about. This is something that is KNOWN to happen. Especially with Walkera who uses a random id to bind to the TX. So the same random ID can be sent to both RX and that is the locking code to keep them connected. As long as they both recognize it, both will fly. You should never leave a heli powered up if your done flying it.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:27 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
I just remembered Devo Rx's all have ID bind now. You should set that up for each heli if you have a habit of leaving them powered on. With Fixed ID binding you can only bind the heli with the specific ID code.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I just remembered Devo Rx's all have ID bind now. You should set that up for each heli if you have a habit of leaving them powered on. With Fixed ID binding you can only bind the heli with the specific ID code.
yes it is sort of my bad not having the first heli unplugged. will really have to make it a habit now.... but how could a Devo 7 bind with a ladybird cross controlled the v450 that was bind to my Devo 10....? unless both were set to the same ids....? no idea at all... n funny was my Devo 10 wasn't affecting his ladybird but his Devo 7 is controlling mine n me on the other hand was trying to counter all the funny movements until it crashed.... I've put on a 3gx blades n these blades are just so good compared to the originals.....