Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
72 Posts
In addition to my larger drone, I had a smaller, rc-controlled quad too.
Here are few pictures of it; if someone likes to build an almost indestructible crash-proof frame, this could be one (best?) way to do it which is why I am posting these:

It took me two evenings to build it; the frame is very simple (I was thinking to sell it as a kit with cnc-machined parts but it is so simple anyone could make it with normal tools) and very durable. I'm almost certain that it can take more damage (and took..) than most (all?) of the frames that are available.. ;-)

It's made of 10x10 mm aluminum, a 5 mm polycarbonate sheet, and nylon/polycarbonate sheets which keep the aluminum tubes together. The materials cost next to nothing and are very durable.

I made it only for aerobatics and fun, from parts that were slightly damaged during the development of the Drone. Such as bent out-of balance motors which fell 400 meters to the ground and so on. And I had a bunch of 3-blade junk GWS propellers that I wanted to get rid of..

Before I dismantled it (the escs went to the Drone with new firmware), I had crashed it very hard, many times. I flew it into tree, dropped few meters, without any damage. I crashed it several times to a frozen ground so that propeller blades and the lid of the electronics compartment were flying in the air, installed new propellers and flew (and crashed) some more. It was not meant to be a stable or expensive platform, it was only made for hard flying with little to none margins, unlike my drone which I don't want to damage.

The board in picture is a KK board from Hobbyking. I like Multiwii more, much more stable and easier to fly with accelerometers, that's why I eventually got rid of it. But the frame could have been more than suitable for the Multiwii boards, too =)
The housing the board is located is a enclosure named "art case" from OKW Germany. It's made of ABS and it can withstand crashing to the frozen ground at high speed without damages..

(If interested, I have still those plastic parts if any measurements or so are needed, or if someone of you is without ability to make parts out of polycarbonate, I could probably machine few of them)

TR
Welho is offline Find More Posts by Welho
Last edited by Welho; Mar 23, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:48 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramida View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJo9fZ5kq0w

Guys, i accept advices from people who are able to do this kind of flying.
We in Romania have a word:
" The fox who dosen't reach the grapes said the grapes are fermented"
Man, Maybe Warthox should give you some advice then?? don't tell me that you fly better than him.. or the other guy here that was flying even higher than you..

But that's not the point.. THAT DOESN'T MATTER.. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO DOES WHAT BETTER.. WHAT YOU DO IS DANGEROUS FOR OTHER PEOPLE

No one in here and in many other places think that you are good because you're dangerous.. People don't give a s**t if you fly on mount everest or in the moon.. as long as you don't endanger people.. is this so hard to understand??
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:54 PM
Urban Aerial Photography
Bucharest, Romania
Joined Sep 2009
355 Posts
Endangering people? What about smoking or driving talking on your phone?
You must be jokeing about " flying quads over highway distract the drivers"
What about gorgeous ladies from Romania? Also banned? Come on, ...let's face it:
All peole here who are blameing me are not so well trained and prepared in FPV flying. Man, i forgot to tell you, my job is to fly drones and i am also telecom engineer so i understand electronics and radio.
I have more fpv videos posted on youtube (over 700 minutes) than flying hours on field most of the guys mentioned above. But the way, warhox and the Italian FPV PRO didn't said a word aagainst my clips so don't mix the things.
dramida is offline Find More Posts by dramida
Last edited by dramida; Mar 23, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Jan 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Endangering people? What about smoking or driving talking on your phone?
You must be jokeing about " flying quads over highway distract the drivers"
What about gorgeous ladies from Romania? Also banned? Come on, ...let's face it:
All peole here who are blameing me are not so well trained and prepared in FPV flying. Man, i forgot to tell you, my job is to fly drones and i am also telecom engineer so i understand electronics and radio.
I have more fpv videos posted on youtube (over 700 minutes) than flying hours on field most of the guys mentioned above. But the way, warhox didn't said a word about my clips so don't mix the things.
Very cool video! =)

Nothing wrong with the flying but one thing that might need improving is your camera mounting. The frame you have is vibrating which can be seen on the picture. Balance the propellers or use higher quality ones and use vibration-dampening bushings or other similar means to dampen the vibrations from the motors and propellers. What camera are you using?
Welho is offline Find More Posts by Welho
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:23 PM
Urban Aerial Photography
Bucharest, Romania
Joined Sep 2009
355 Posts
Thank you for appreciation.
My vibration dampeners are more stiff at -0 degrees Celsius so there are the jello effect. I just changed the dampening material with ear plugs.
I am using a Hero GoPro HD camera.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:30 PM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,350 Posts
Quote:
Man, i forgot to tell you, my job is to fly drones and i am also telecom engineer so i understand electronics and radio.
Man, If you keep doin what you do and injure someone, you won't be flying drones or workin as a Telecom engineer cos you'll be in JAIL..
You understand electronics and radio, but no common sense..

Oh and by the way, not that matters.. I don't smoke and this was my last post on this subject.. it's not worth it to bang our heads against a brick wall...

But it can happen

AR.Drone first day of use FAIL, or how to hit a car with a RC quadcopter (1 min 9 sec)
Last edited by jhsa; Mar 23, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:44 PM
X-Ikarus
United Kingdom, North York
Joined Feb 2003
1,673 Posts
dir.gen@caa.ro

Yes. the CAA are also in Romania
I wonder what they would say to this ?

"You must be jokeing about " flying quads over highway distract the drivers"

Again. you ignore the possibility of pilot error or equipment failure
Your Quad could hit a car and cause major injury or death.

You should know better
Reflex1 is offline Find More Posts by Reflex1
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:06 PM
Urban Aerial Photography
Bucharest, Romania
Joined Sep 2009
355 Posts
Guys, i can list at last 100 clips with aeromodels flying over cars and no one said a word about this simply because altitude was too high and could not see the cars and people below. I saw even a few clips with aeromodels hitting a car in a way or another and the only casuality was the model (see the clip one post above for example).
Why are you picking me as a escape goat?
If you tell your fantasies and imaginary perfect collisions in your mail, you accomplish exactly what you are afraid of.
Anyway, here in Romania there are no specific rules to forbid playing with aeromodels in urban areas so lucky me
Last edited by dramida; Mar 23, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:49 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Evergem
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Quote:
But the way, warhox and the Italian FPV PRO didn't said a word aagainst my clips so don't mix the things.
You don't have to say anything to think. I'm not telling you in there place that they think like the rest. I don't know what they think. But some people just don't want to enter this discussion with you. And I'm leaving it for what it is. Hope you'll face it one day that you're doing unsafe things and eventually could ruin other people's pleasure and fun.

And I don't like to argue with people but this is dangerous, really dangerous what you do. It's like having a drivers license.. In traffic you are always in contact with other people's life's.. And what you are doing is also like that.. But you can go on an open field / park where nobody's walking.. No humans or animals. From the moment I had my drivers license I quit drinking alcohol.. (Not that I was drunk) but I lost friends in traffic.. Some people may find this overreactive.. But the point is, there can always go something wrong.. and you should really consider that!

Sorry for this post in this topic but I can't stand his video's anymore..
Jessestr is offline Find More Posts by Jessestr
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:54 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,919 Posts
Enough with the negativity! carry on.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt View Post
Enough with the negativity! carry on.
I know I know..

Here's some good news.. I'm busy programming a program (obviously) for auto generating the config.h file.. For like new people in multiwii that don't like code so much. So they can just change the config values in a program and it would give you the necessary config.h file

What do you think? Good plan?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Sep 2010
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessestr View Post
I know I know..

Here's some good news.. I'm busy programming a program (obviously) for auto generating the config.h file.. For like new people in multiwii that don't like code so much. So they can just change the config values in a program and it would give you the necessary config.h file

Sure! Have you looked at this one listed on the first post of this forum for any ideas? http://ardupirates.net/config/MW_Config.php
Are you going for a web based solution, or a downloadable exe?
daytimer is offline Find More Posts by daytimer
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:12 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessestr View Post
I know I know..

That would be useful, Arduino can be intimidating and also confusing now with the different versions.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Will develop for the lastest versions. Since new people to multiwii won't really use older versions
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,350 Posts
Yeah, that would be usefull.. I don't really like going through the code commenting and uncommenting.. I think it's about this you're talking about?