SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:19 AM
Joined Aug 2008
58 Posts
Discussion
bi plane rigging

on bi plane rigging for 1/3 scale bi planes. basicially rigging wire size, hardware, turn buckles verses quick links. etc etc. Honestly I have had two balsa usa 1/3 scale sopwith pups in the box for 25 years. Not understanding the rigging wire set up so stayed away from building them. When you go to various sites for product I see turnbuckles but they never specify the scale, same for wire. I mean really if your building 1/5, 1/4, 1/3 scale they should use different size turnbuckles and wire. Anything you can add I would ,really appreciate, thank you, Charles scott
mikemscott is offline Find More Posts by mikemscott
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:49 AM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,090 Posts
I think the full scale hardware issue is simply because the same piece can be used on different models varying in size which changes the scale perception. Use a photo of the part, scale it manually and buy what is closest to that. In other words if the full scale, lets say turnbuckle, is 6" long then for your model at 1/3 scale it would be 2", buy what is closest to that.
ace4rc is online now Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old Dec 07, 2014, 05:06 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,505 Posts
My 1/3 Pup is coming up to this stage as well.

So, I'm listening!

Especially after someone posted this to the build thread:

Rc Giant WWI Pup crash to the ground from 800ft 2013 Blackstarr (3 min 23 sec)
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Dec 07, 2014, 05:27 PM
Joined Aug 2008
58 Posts
rigging

that video is exactly my point rigging is something that must be right, anyone have any idea what happened to that pup? imean it was beautifully built where is the weak link? That's a lot of work to lose it that way, Mike Scott
Old Dec 07, 2014, 05:47 PM
Joined Aug 2008
58 Posts
rigging

I've seen many of the balsa usa1/3 scale pups fly some of them for many years. Was it an oversite by the pilot maybe he missed something I need to know I think we all need to know!! I've always been a little nervous about hanging these four wings out on four short dowels. That's only because im ignorant as to the set up But, I know it works because theres tons of these flying. I watched Walt Mocha maiden this design in vegas approximately 30 yrs ago. It is an awesome bird. I bought the kits back then they've been the boxes ever since. I always felt I didn't know enough about the design to tackle them. Mike
Old Dec 07, 2014, 05:50 PM
Joined Aug 2008
58 Posts
rigging

actually 8 short dowels!! lol lol
Old Dec 07, 2014, 06:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
490 Posts
To me it looks like he just pushed it too hard. The pull out just before the wings departing must have been 10+ G.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Dec 07, 2014, 07:34 PM
Joined Aug 2008
58 Posts
rigging

really, you think he pushed to hard, I guess that airplane should be flown with kid gloves or his was in excess correct? that's too bad!! Mike
Old Dec 07, 2014, 07:40 PM
Joined Aug 2008
58 Posts
rigging

is there anyway I could get a hold of this guy thru email just to pick his brain a little bit? Mike
Old Dec 07, 2014, 07:42 PM
Joined Aug 2008
58 Posts
rigging

I don't use the forums that much not sure where to go to get his email address, mike
Old Dec 07, 2014, 10:01 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,090 Posts
It took several attempts but I got the video to stop the very second the wing went. Look's to me they went uniformly as a unit which makes me think the top wing gave at the joint in the middle.
ace4rc is online now Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:05 PM
Joined Aug 2008
58 Posts
rigging

do you still think it was hi G forces or the wires let go, could the hi loads snap the dowels? I mean really those wings came off like a box kite, it would have had to snap the dowels. mike
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:08 PM
Joined Aug 2008
58 Posts
rigging

I went back and looked at the video. they were severed right at the wing center section both snapped together. really hard to say I guess. mike
Old Dec 10, 2014, 01:35 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemscott View Post
is there anyway I could get a hold of this guy thru email just to pick his brain a little bit? Mike
If you go into YouTube and look up the user that posted the video above in this thread(his screen name is right under the vid)... you'll see he has alot of footage from that particular event.... really quite a bit of WW1 warbird footage...

You can message him through YouTube possibly ... although you might need a YouTube account.. Theres a chance he might know more about that event and the plane that went down..... just a thought there.

I've had similar types of correspondence through YouTube... its an extremely versatile site. Good luck.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 10, 2014, 02:04 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,505 Posts
There are a lot of comments asking about that and no replies that I saw...
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall