P1110225 (960x1280) by steffruelle, on Flickr
sruelle is online now Find More Posts by sruelle
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2014, 09:46 AM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
470 Posts
Thanks, Stephane! It was great to meet and fly with you, and I loved your beautiful Edelweiss. Hope you can make it down again next Fall for so more fun.
Al
HotdogX is offline Find More Posts by HotdogX
Old Oct 08, 2014, 08:52 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,755 Posts
Saw the red and white bird at Epps' Field last week. The Cherokee RM sure was a nice looking airplane! Excellent work!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Oct 08, 2014, 11:37 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
470 Posts
Thanks, Michael! I enjoyed seeing your three scratch built vintage birds. Loved the Vampyr!
Al
Old Nov 27, 2014, 02:02 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
772 Posts
Beautiful work Al...It looks awesome
justy g is online now Find More Posts by justy g
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:13 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
470 Posts
justy g,

Thanks! Sad to say it bit the dust at our October aerotow event. I was thermaling high and fairly far out, and looked away from the glider momentarily to move myself to another spot. When I looked back I started watching the wrong glider. By the time I figured it out the RM had gone straight down into a bean field. Only the horizontal tail and rudder survived. I plan to build another one.

Al
Old Dec 14, 2014, 02:06 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotdogX View Post
justy g,

Thanks! Sad to say it bit the dust at our October aerotow event. I was thermaling high and fairly far out, and looked away from the glider momentarily to move myself to another spot. When I looked back I started watching the wrong glider. By the time I figured it out the RM had gone straight down into a bean field. Only the horizontal tail and rudder survived. I plan to build another one.

Al
Al

That really is sad news indeed. To put all that hard work into such a beautiful model and lose it this way must be heartbreaking.. Good luck with your new build
justy g is online now Find More Posts by justy g
Old Dec 14, 2014, 06:43 PM
Am I going up?
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
143 Posts
Really sorry to hear that Al.

Shane.
ShaneW is offline Find More Posts by ShaneW
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:45 AM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
597 Posts
R.I.P Little Cherokee.
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:01 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
470 Posts
Thanks, guys. I really hated to lose her after such a short time. But I did get enough stick time to know that she is a good thermal ship. I will be getting started on the new one soon. Just have to get a couple other projects finished that I had put on the back burner whilst building the first RM. One is a Spruce Goose (electric powered) and the other is a solar powered motor glider I designed.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 07:59 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
618 Posts
Oh man, sorry to hear you've lost the RM! The next one will go together much faster. Sorry about the OT but since you mentioned it, are you by any chance planning to do a thread on the solar powered motor glider? That would be really interesting

raipe
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe
Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
470 Posts
raipe,

I won't be doing a build thread on the solar powered motorglider, but if it actually flies decent I might post it on the electric sailplane forum with some information and photos. It will depend upon how much output I can get from the solar cells once they have the load of the motor on them. I am trying to keep it light so it will not take many watts to get a reasonable climb rate. It's just an experiment and I want to see what can be done using the currently available solar cells. The sun angle is low here in the winter so I probably won't be testing it until late spring or early summer 2015 when I can get better performance from the solar cells. I hope it works as I have wanted a solar powered model for many years.
Al
Old Today, 08:07 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
618 Posts
Ok, here's hoping it'll work out great for you. And not just because I want to hear more about it

raipe
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe