HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:04 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
Discussion
Futaba 9C diode

Welp, I was at it again and accidentally connected the buddy box + pin to the ground pin from the module area of my Futaba 9C. Some smoke and bad words later, I discovered I blew diode D101. A google search revealed others have blown the diode and the guy in post 6 of this thread used a BAS70-05 diode to repair the radio.

I headed over to digikey, placed my order for two different ones of the same type (same part number, different specs). I put one in the radio and the trainer port functions again but it is real weird. I do not have another radio to test the trainer function so I am using a FPV head tracker which worked fine before. Here is what is happening. Before, the head tracker would control channels 5 and 6. Now, channels 5 through 8 are all effected by the head tracker. If I move one channel, it and another random one in the 5-8 range will move a random amount. Channels 1-4 act different. If I move the sticks, they will move their corresponding channel BUT the values jump and stick for a few seconds then move to catch up. It is kinda weird but I am almost certain I am using the wrong value diode. When I unplug the trainer cord and turn on the trainer function, everything returns to normal. And of course the radio acts fine with the trainer function off. I did an inspection of the board and saw nothing else burnt unless if something happened in the CPU but everything else works fine.

Thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1584136

Post #6
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...36&postcount=6

His suggested part
http://www.voelkner.de/products/7851...-05-Sot23.html

Digikey versions:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...MSCT-ND/717334

and this is the one currently installed:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...8CT-ND/3104416

Any help would be appreciated, I tried to provide as much info as possible. I do not want to unsolder the current one and replace it because I am afraid of over working those pads and pulling them off. I'd rather have a second opinion before making such an attempt.

Of course, I did call Futaba support and their rep must have not had his morning coffee. His attitude was essentially, "yeah, so what do you want from us?" and said I could send it in.
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:08 AM
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
628 Posts
You mist have talked the the same guy I did when I called in to ask about the 8FG when it first came out. I asked him if i could access all 14 channels in the software and he said no. That's right he said no. So I said then it's really an eight channel radio, right? He said "no" it has 14 channels.

Totally confused at this point I said " if it has 14 channels why didn't Futaba just call it a 14FG instead of an 8FG" at which point he hung up on me.

I don't think that guy likes his job.
Roguedog is offline Find More Posts by Roguedog
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:43 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
Haha, I had to leave a voice mail for Futaba support to call me back. Three days later they finally did and that guy didn't even say he was with Futaba. He just called and asked "Is this Joe?- what do you need?" After explaining that I needed a diode for my radio, he said, "OK, so....what do you actually need?" I gave him the part label, radio info, and the location of the part and then he asked, "so what radio do you have and what's wrong with it?" After explaining for a 3rd time, he sighed, said I could send it to Futaba then put me on hold and never answered back.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:36 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
I ended up giving in and ordering the parts from Futaba. $6 for a $.20 transistor, and $1.50 for a $.10 diode. The shipping was $7 for them to dump the diodes and transistors into a plastic baggie without separating/ESD protecting them. Needless to say, I am a little disgruntled.

Here are the part numbers for those who need them:

Diode D101: T34379 Diode SB05-05CP-MSP-TB (Item #HSP70985)
Transistor Q201: 526-NTE2414 DTC114EK TRANS (Item #HSP70515)

While looking on the circuit board, it looks like D101 and D201 with code B (looks like an 8 with a line under it) are the same. The transistors Q101, Q102 and Q201 with the code 24 are also all the same.