HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:04 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
642 Posts
Caulking Question?

I have a Billing wood boat that I built about 30 years ago. It has been 20 years since it has been in the water. I want to put a new radio and drive system in it and be able to run it again.

But there are cracks in the paint on the hull. The hull is planked mahogany. If I remember correctly I put the planking on with epoxy. It was then painted with regular enamal paint. I am getting ready to sand off the paint where necessary.

My question is? Can bathtub sealer(silicon goo) be used for calking? I know that white glue covered with enamal is OK if the glue is allowed to dry out between running secesions.

COMMENTS?

Robbie
Seattle, Wa.
Rotten Robbie is offline Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2004, 02:57 AM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,103 Posts
I take it that you are looking at using the silicon to fill in defects that you may find when you san off the paint?
There really is no reason to treat it any differnet than you did many years ago when you were young and able to see the defects in the hull.
After sanding the paint off, why no come back with wood filler for the defects, cover with laquer after sanding and then finish with what ever you wish to cover the boats with.
In our combat ships that often have cracked hulls( even on the fiberglass sections) we will sand, laquer, fill, laquer and then ( depending on whether it is glassed or balsa) resin or paint.
Tachikaze is offline Find More Posts by Tachikaze
Old Jan 11, 2004, 04:45 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,459 Posts
Silicone does not take paint well.

Hey, if you are in Seattle, check out
Northwest RC ship modelers Club
I believe they meet at Galaxy Hobbies in Lynnwood WA.

Hmm, don't let their web site ISP download anything to your comp either. Looked like an adware prompt.
They need a new ISP,...

http://nwrcsm.freeyellow.com/index.html
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 11, 2004, 11:36 AM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
642 Posts
I have already made contact with the NW Ship Modelers. I am going to go watch one of their Fun Floats today.

I have sanded off the paint on several of the splits. One is real bad. It will take a piece fo glass tape to repair. But the others are minor cracks under the paimt. I am looking at dilluted TitebondII to seal these cracks. Epoxy won't flow into such a small crack.

This is a wood planked hull. It is built using real Phillipene Mahogony planking. But after the boat was fully asssemebled there is minimal interior access to the hull. So all repairs mut be made from the outside.

Just not going to be a "Quick FiX".

This boat originally had a slotcar motor in it. I am replacing it with a S-280. It also had an old single channel 27MHz radio. And I do mean OLD. It was not proprtional. I am replacing it with a small Futaba 2Ch AM radio. Because it is the smallest 75MHz system I can find.

Thanks for the comments.

Robbie,
Seattle, Wa.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:02 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rotten Robbie
I am going to go watch one of their Fun Floats today.
Where at ?
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Jan 11, 2004, 01:02 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
642 Posts
The 1/11/04 Fun Float is at the "Center fFor Wooden Boats" at the south end of Lake Union.

http://www.cwb.org/VisitCWB.htm#directionsseattle

It will be the first time I have been there.

Robbie
Seattle(Kent), Wa.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 01:59 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,459 Posts
Take the Mercer St Exit Off I-5 I think.

Talk To Cliff Shaw if you get a chance, He will tell all about repairing and rebuilding your boat.
He is part of the group I sail with. And we bug him all the time for great wisdom, and knowledge.

Aimee Eng
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 11, 2004, 06:50 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
642 Posts
Well I found the Center for Wooden Boats. And I watched them run for about an hour.

Then I came home to put some effort into repairing/re-furbishing this boat. I am going to try and have it ready for the Fun Float next month.

Robbie,
Seattle, Wa.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 05:29 PM
Florida and Massachusetts
Joined Apr 2004
3 Posts
If this were my boat I would go to West Marine or Boat U.S. and buy a tube of 3M 5200 caulking and use that fill the gaps. This is incredible material, but don't plan on removing it later, it won't come out.
pompanomal is offline Find More Posts by pompanomal
Old May 11, 2004, 04:35 AM
UK Bournemouth
Joined May 2004
30 Posts
Anougher good Filler is made by Robbe its called Roststuf it's very good
Gypo is offline Find More Posts by Gypo