HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:43 AM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
Recommendation Required from experienced EDF gury

I am new to EDFs and this forum. So accept my apologies for any mistakes I make.

I am looking for micro EDF (any from 30mm to 40 mm dia) with the most trust but limited to 150W power. Unlike the fellow RC people I intend to use it for static indoors application where weight is not the issue. As mater of fact I would like to power it with the power adapter 150 W. I can select from standard voltage e.g. (12V & 12.5A or 24V & 7.5 A)

I am looking for the standard EDF w motor with power 120W-150W or if someone can guide me how to make adequate pair or FAN and Brushless Motor

Additionally I intend to have exhaust nozzle to bring the jet down to dia 12mm (1/2 in). So let me repharse I need max trust after the nozzle.

Motor / EDF will run on full available power (max rpm ) for several minutes. No rpm control is required. (once again this is static application) it should go full blast while powered.

1. What would be the best size FAN to get the most trust with limit of 150 W max considering the outlet nozzle
2. If set is not recommended can one specify brushless motor for this and what would be the best rating kv?
3. How does one select FAN for specified motor
4. Does any one have experience dealing directly with manufacturers?
5. Since the rpm does not need to be controlled do I still need to use ESC ?
6. Are there any consideration if EDF is used with power adapter?
7. Is trust proportional to the power and how size of the fan affects it?

THANK YOU!!!!
Static EDF is offline Find More Posts by Static EDF
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:04 AM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static EDF View Post
Additionally I intend to have exhaust nozzle to bring the jet down to dia 12mm (1/2 in). So let me repharse I need max trust after the nozzle.
A 12mm nozzle is too small for a 30 to 40mm fan so your idea is flawed. Can it be made bigger?

Steve
stegla is offline Find More Posts by stegla
Last edited by stegla; Jan 26, 2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:55 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,239 Posts
Don't think it would matter much at all... for a Static model
Insert the biggest fan/motor you can physically fit in and watch it run ?
Alternately...one could even use a line from a remote and multi gallon compressed air tank,
(rather than having a wee motor push some air thru the scale nozzle)
Authentic sounds too.. as bonus..
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Stegla: Possibly a bit bigger but I doubt we can exceed 15-16 mm.

Bare: yes, I woudl like to insert the biggest motor or the motor with the biggest trust, where my power supply is limited.
And yes the compressed air tank woudl be solution but I do need to ahve some portability. That is why I am trying to use the EDF.

I hope someone withe lots of experience who has tested many motors can make suggestion
Static EDF is offline Find More Posts by Static EDF
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:14 PM
United States, CO, Westminster
Joined Jul 2011
575 Posts
The Brushless ESC controls the switching rate from - to+ on the 3 wires so you will need an ESC.

You we need a 20mm edf for that size of outlet (16mm) and i doupt you could even get 50watts out of a 20mm.

i think compressed air will work the best for your application

But Bare is right get a largerEDF and see what happens just be careful.
chester2240 is offline Find More Posts by chester2240
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:50 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,642 Posts
if its a static model and you want to run the fan....find a brushed motor and you wont need a esc...if its brushless you need to esc to convert power to AC
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut