HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:33 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Sparkie; Do you know the dimensions of those stock motors (dia and length)?

Crash; What motors did you choose?

I intend to order the "kit" version when it is back in stock.

Thanks!
I will see if I can get them for you. This is my Friday, so I will get it in the next 4 days if possible.
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:35 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
The interior lights is part of my landing lights off another plane. ( I love the red light idea but I'm keeping it cheap. those lights cost me around 100.) I'm a noob so I always look for advice from an expert. I follow a brilliant guy who makes all his planes from scratch and they are mainly twins. ( what I like) He told me to ALWAYS keep battery wires and lead's to the esc's as short as possible (Long leads can cause current flux and mess up esc's) The leads to the motors can be as long as you like! Just an FYI. My stupid canopy lock broke last night so off to magnets! Unless you guys have an Idea???? The motors I found that look just like the original one only states 3 cell so I'm running 2 in parallel so 3 cell 4400mah. with a 9x7 prop I get 2 1/4 lbs of thrust 300 watts at 28 amps per motor. rule of thumb is 80- 120 watts per pound for scale flying. I'm on the higher side. If the plane isn't fast enough I can always prop up!! the motor shafts are a little long so the spinners are 1/2" from the cowl I'm also running all Hs82mg servos. so from an experts advice I decided not to use a bec and go with a separate battery pack for the receiver.
WOW, $100 bucks. I used the HK Strip lites, and a castle 10 AMP BEC, and only have about $40 bucks total into it and extra lights left over. I do like your lights in the nose gear well... Going to have to look into that one.... May have to copy you on that one.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:36 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
yes quick change. maybe cut off canopy and then add magnets??? what about the front steering? any good ideas on how to hook it up??
Not yet... Going to be going to my hobby shop to try and get some ideas. Hope to have an answer soon.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, RI, West Warwick
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
Had a flight yesterday on the Duke. Flight went well...landing not so well. This thing does not like anything but a nice greased landing. Came in and slowed it down a bit to much and it dropped on the gear a little rough. Ripped out an already repaired retract and ripped the tires off. Hubs are still there. Also busted off a and already repaired flap. I think I'm going to replace those flap hinges with Robarts instead, they just don't seem to hold. Don't let it slow down to much as it can't take a rough landing.
viper1216 is online now Find More Posts by viper1216
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:20 PM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
1,097 Posts
ok im having issues with the elevator's and the rudder/ nose steering. my servos are reversed. I'm using y's. I'm sure the arf doesn't come with servo reverser?? Or does it!! I was thinking if I change the red and white wire on a lead will that reverse the servo??? HELP!!
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:23 PM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,097 Posts
here are the measurements sparkie624 gave me on post #39

The Bell Diameter is 41mm, or 1.6 inches
Shaft length behind motor is 19 mm or inches
Motor front to back is 19 mm or inches
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie624 View Post
WOW, $100 bucks. I used the HK Strip lites, and a castle 10 AMP BEC, and only have about $40 bucks total into it and extra lights left over. I do like your lights in the nose gear well... Going to have to look into that one.... May have to copy you on that one.
Thats fine we are all here to help. I took the crappy nav lights out of my plane so I do have an extra red light I just may put in the cock pit!!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:01 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,850 Posts
Quote:
ok im having issues with the elevator's and the rudder/ nose steering. my servos are reversed. I'm using y's. I'm sure the arf doesn't come with servo reverser?? Or does it!! I was thinking if I change the red and white wire on a lead will that reverse the servo??? HELP!!
No, do not switch any wires! If the ARF does not come with an external servo reverser, it uses a REVERSE servo instead. I assume you bought the "kit" version and supplied your own servos?? If so, you need to get a servo reverse "Y" harness for each affected pair of servos.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...y-duty-EXRA325
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Last edited by bamaguy; Nov 13, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:07 PM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,097 Posts
whats a servo reverser y harness?? HK has servo reversers but no Y harness reversers??? eithor way I have to take damn plane apart!! and I glued the tail section on!!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:28 PM
United States, RI, West Warwick
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
Quote:
whats a servo reverser y harness?? HK has servo reversers but no Y harness reverses??? either way I have to take damn plane apart!! and I glued the tail section on!!
Try and get a reversing harness like Bamaguy listed. If you get one, you won't need to take your tail off. You just plug your extension from your rudder in on side, and the steering on the other. It's just like a regular Y-harness but it has a little adjustment screw so you can adjust the other channel. One channel is reversed from the other one. I had to use one on my Baron which has the same type of setup. Really easy to setup. I've had to use it on flaps as well.
viper1216 is online now Find More Posts by viper1216
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:29 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,008 Posts
If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can reverse the servo yourself. The servo in the video is a considerably larger servo, but the principal is the same. I do all my reversing myself. You will want to remember which servos you have reversed in case you were to want to use them in the future. It would just mean reversing them on the transmitter for single channel use. You would NOT want to reuse a reversed servo for ailerons on a y harness.

-Cub
How to REVERSE a Servo. (4 min 32 sec)
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Cubcrazy; Nov 14, 2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:46 AM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,097 Posts
I can only find a servo reverser. Where can I get a y reverser? Thx also I have no choice but to remove the tail. The y to the two elevator servos are back there. As for messing around devaluing my new hs82mg servos. No thx ill stick to a reverser and save the butchers work for a much cheaper servo. Lol p.s the flaps are the same way!! What were they thinking when they designed this bird??
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:00 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,008 Posts
Devaluing? Modifying=free....Servo reverser costs money and adding additional un-necessary wiring. The flaps are set up the same way, because the manufacturer would recommend using a reversed servo. Having a reversed servo comes in handy. Not just for pretty much all flap Y-harness applications, but many others. And as previously stated, if you were to use a reversed servo (when used alone) on something like elevator, rudder, or throttle for IC engines, you wouldn't know the difference. To each there own....
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:54 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,850 Posts
Servo Reversing "Y" Harness

Quote:
I can only find a servo reverser. Where can I get a y reverser? Thx also I have no choice but to remove the tail. The y to the two elevator servos are back there. As for messing around devaluing my new hs82mg servos. No thx ill stick to a reverser and save the butchers work for a much cheaper servo. Lol p.s the flaps are the same way!! What were they thinking when they designed this bird??
As I mentioned in my previous post.......go here http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...y-duty-EXRA325

Many LHS carry these products distributed by Horizon Hobby. I've used this product in a lot of my airplanes.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:01 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
The servos that came with the ARF have internally reversed servos, so you may need a servo reverser.