HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2014, 09:38 PM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
I peg my cg right on the wing tube... Maybe a pinch forward.
Super nose heavy!!!!!!

Balance her on the wing ret. bolts and you'll be happy. Also check that you've not got reflex in the ailerons or that they are warped. Something is not right IF you truly did have it balanced on those bolts and it felt squirrely......the Laser is an awesome flyer.
flygilmore is offline Find More Posts by flygilmore
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2014, 09:47 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,502 Posts
We'll the choir is preaching that I have the CG in the wrong place.
Next time out on the field I will re-try it back there, plus check all the surfaces (which I believe to be neutral) and see what happens.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Dec 09, 2014, 07:23 PM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,136 Posts
To me the Laser is pitchy at transition and the only way I have solved it is with nose heavy - 4s 2700's or 3300's all the way up so the end is on the former before the firewall. Not sure where it pans out on the cg but it is just slightly ahead of neutral on an inverted 45 degree upline.
alfabeast is online now Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Dec 15, 2014, 05:24 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,502 Posts
Okay okay....
You guys were right.
CG right between the wing bolt and the wing tube.
I removed all of the weight in the front and have the 2700 4s battery about 3/4 inch from the wing tube. Balanced neutral.
Much better.

I don't know what I was thinking....CG on the wing tube... big dummy.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Dec 15, 2014, 09:47 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,401 Posts
Glad to hear you got it dialed in.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Dec 16, 2014, 07:10 PM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,136 Posts
Getting used to the Laser - about 50 flights now. I am a one plane man, it takes me a while to get used to any airframe. Weighed it, 58 -oz .... 4s 2700's and a 190-gm motor so it is a heavy setup. For a 48 it handles wind the best of any planes I have flown in this size. (Which is what I wanted it for this time of year). If I keep the speed steady it does precision very well. Does 3D good, hovers well, upright harrier good - inverted harrier little tricky due to the weight. KE great, as well as spins etc. Poptops/blenders just ok due to the weight, they don't flatten out - going up or down.

If I decelerate the last 45 degrees of a loop it gets squirelly - but if I totally dethermalize with up -elevator it mushes forward fine in a harrier.

I find that I can avoid a tuck-in feel on a decelerating turn by using more rudder than I usually do. So all is well. If the cowl design allowed an extended front to the hatch I could get the strap forward and probably lighten up the motor to get the CG I like.

Just brain reprogramming due to slick - aholic tendencies.

Just got the EF Edge 48 too and will see how that goes after the winter solstice.
alfabeast is online now Find More Posts by alfabeast