HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2011, 07:24 PM
Joined May 2011
23 Posts
Discussion
RTF Cessna 182 + 703Radio

Hi all,

I'm sort of new to the RC world (I do have Kyosho Minium but that hardly counts as real RC plane) and am thinking of buying a new plane and radio.
I was thinking of the RTF Skyartec cessna 182 with the 703 Tx, mainly because of the 7 channel Tx and Rx having future upgrades of the airplane in mind while maintaining the radio.
My main doubt is about the 7 channels of the radio. For what I can see those 7 channel aren't really 7 channels since we cannot control each one of them individually or can we? Do channels 5 and 6 have one specific switch on the Tx? Isn't channel 5 kind of a sub-channel where you can only plug a gyro and have no direct control of? And which switch on the Tx controls the 6 channel? I can't figure it out from the manual or the images.

Long story short, is this a good buy as a multi airplane Tx? Can we pair it with more than one Rx? If for instance I was to buy another more demanding plane, would this radio handle the job? Or new plane would mean new radio?

Thank you in advance for you help.
PsicoPete is offline Find More Posts by PsicoPete
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2011, 07:35 PM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsicoPete View Post
Hi all,

I'm sort of new to the RC world (I do have Kyosho Minium but that hardly counts as real RC plane) and am thinking of buying a new plane and radio.
I was thinking of the RTF Skyartec cessna 182 with the 703 Tx, mainly because of the 7 channel Tx and Rx having future upgrades of the airplane in mind while maintaining the radio.
My main doubt is about the 7 channels of the radio. For what I can see those 7 channel aren't really 7 channels since we cannot control each one of them individually or can we? Do channels 5 and 6 have one specific switch on the Tx? Isn't channel 5 kind of a sub-channel where you can only plug a gyro and have no direct control of? And which switch on the Tx controls the 6 channel? I can't figure it out from the manual or the images.

Long story short, is this a good buy as a multi airplane Tx? Can we pair it with more than one Rx? If for instance I was to buy another more demanding plane, would this radio handle the job? Or new plane would mean new radio?

Thank you in advance for you help.
You ask some great questions. First of all understand that the latest version of the Skyartec Radio is the Sky705 and it is designed for the newest version of the Cessana with full flaps. The Sky 705, unlike the Sky 703 can be used with both 32 bit and 64 bit computers for the flight simulator function and the programming function. No this Radio will not bind with other systems.

Primarily the Skyartec Radio is designed for their helicopters. However Channel 5 can be controlled with lever on the side of the Tx. Yes the 7 channels are available but usually channel six is used for the CCPM mixing of required for their helicopters.

This radio will give you good service and is considered entry level. You might want to consider a full 6,7 or 8 channel radio from Futaba or Spektrum that you can grow into for future rc models.

The Skyartec Cessna is a good plane, but is a little fast for the absolute beginner. However, it is available as an ARF (almost ready to fly); just add Radio and go!

Your profile does not show what country your are in, but as the Factory Authorized Distributor in the USA we would be more than happy to answer any of your other questions about Skyartec. We also stock all of the Futaba and Spektrum Radios for your consideration.

Email us directly using the contact form on our website

Regards

Max
Parkflying is online now Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old May 18, 2011, 08:03 PM
Joined May 2011
23 Posts
Hi Max, thank you for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkflying View Post
First of all understand that the latest version of the Skyartec Radio is the Sky705 and it is designed for the newest version of the Cessana with full flaps.
The store I'm shopping from in Spain link here announces it as the full flaps version and they have replied to my e-mail that in fact is the 703 Tx and Rx. Can it be right?

Quote:
No this Radio will not bind with other systems.
Not even if I buy another 703 Rx? That way it must be possible right?

Quote:
Primarily the Skyartec Radio is designed for their helicopters. However Channel 5 can be controlled with lever on the side of the Tx. Yes the 7 channels are available but usually channel six is used for the CCPM mixing of required for their helicopters.

This radio will give you good service and is considered entry level. You might want to consider a full 6,7 or 8 channel radio from Futaba or Spektrum that you can grow into for future rc models.
The main issue here is the price tag. I'm not thinking of "making a life" out of RC flying so I'm not that interested in 300$+ radios. Just looking for a radio that won't loose signal 50feet away. The announced range on the 703 is 1000 meters (about 3280 feet). Can you confirm on that?

Quote:
The Skyartec Cessna is a good plane, but is a little fast for the absolute beginner.
As I said I'm not an absolute beginner since I have the Minium. And I also have had some flight time with some borrowed planes like the "Hawk Sky". But thanks for the "heads up"!

Quote:
Your profile does not show what country your are in, but as the Factory Authorized Distributor in the USA we would be more than happy to answer any of your other questions about Skyartec. We also stock all of the Futaba and Spektrum Radios for your consideration.
Thank you for your fast answer. I live in Portugal and there is no Official Dealer here so I had to look for information somewhere else. You have been of great help.
Old May 18, 2011, 11:28 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsicoPete View Post
Hi Max, thank you for your input.

The store I'm shopping from in Spain link here announces it as the full flaps version and they have replied to my e-mail that in fact is the 703 Tx and Rx. Can it be right?
answer: the Sky 703 is a great radio; however the Skyartec Cessna with the Sky703 has flaperons (ailerons working in tandum as flaps)- totally worthless and you cannot fly the plane in this mode. As THE USA Distributor and ASSIGNED spokes person for the Skyartec Factory, I can only say that our experience is that the only versions of the Cessna we have seen with full flaps has the Sky 705 radio - go to www.skyartec.com and check it out yourself. It is possible that they got a shipment of the full flap version with the Sky 703 radio. Remember the sky 703 radio will only work with 32 bit windows computers. Looking at the link, I see they are showing the new cessna version and perhaps they got the last shipment with the Sky 703; just understand the Sky 703 is out of production and is last years model.

The new Cessna uses ONLY 1 servo for both ailerons and has support struts from the bottom of the wings to the bottom of the fuselage. The new cessna uses the 2nd "wing" servo for the flaps.

The original Skyartec Cessna used 1 servo for each aileron - left and right

Not even if I buy another 703 Rx? That way it must be possible right?

Answer: yes the Sky 703 and the Sky 705 transmitter will bind to the Sky 703 receiver ( receiver is still the Sky 703). The skyartec transmitters will not bind with other brands

The main issue here is the price tag. I'm not thinking of "making a life" out of RC flying so I'm not that interested in 300$+ radios. Just looking for a radio that won't loose signal 50feet away. The announced range on the 703 is 1000 meters (about 3280 feet). Can you confirm on that?

Answer: We cannot confirm anything sold by another dealer. We bench test all products like this before we ship and only certify our own sales. IF the system is working as desired by the factory you should not loose range. However, I bench testing has shown that sometimes in shipping from china, damage can occur. It can mild to severe. From a simple trim not working to a complete failure of the radio. that is why we bench test every system to insure the best buyer experience.

As I said I'm not an absolute beginner since I have the Minium. And I also have had some flight time with some borrowed planes like the "Hawk Sky". But thanks for the "heads up"!

Thank you for your fast answer. I live in Portugal and there is no Official Dealer here so I had to look for information somewhere else. You have been of great help.
I hope that helps

Max
Site Sponsor
Old May 20, 2011, 05:27 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
ModelTronic web site worked well for me

PsicoPete,
In Feb 2011 I bought that same Cessna from ModelTronic. They provide excellent service. Being a total Newbie in this world, I crashed the aircraft. Max is totally correct when he said the aircraft is fast. Its like a bullet/rocket and with me before I could recover control, crashed vertically into the ground at full power. The Tx is kick ass. Installed the Rx in a Corsair I bought from ModelTronic for 39 Euros and the range I got was easily over 500 meters. Just about lost sight of the aircraft.
billck6 is offline Find More Posts by billck6
Old May 20, 2011, 12:56 PM
Joined May 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billck6 View Post
PsicoPete,
In Feb 2011 I bought that same Cessna from ModelTronic. They provide excellent service. Being a total Newbie in this world, I crashed the aircraft. Max is totally correct when he said the aircraft is fast. Its like a bullet/rocket and with me before I could recover control, crashed vertically into the ground at full power. The Tx is kick ass. Installed the Rx in a Corsair I bought from ModelTronic for 39 Euros and the range I got was easily over 500 meters. Just about lost sight of the aircraft.
Thanks billck6,

That's what I was trying to know if this was a good Tx to use with other planes, for a guy who's not trying to go pro on RC planes. I think it will be some time until I outgrow the Tx, what do you think?
As on the plane being fast I think I'll order some spares along with it.
How much flying time can you get with it? I'm pretty undecided as on buying this plane or the "Hawk Sky" from that same store. And while I think the Hawk Sky is the best beginner plane and the most "forgiving" one, I also believe the Cessna has the best plane/radio combo and am thinking (as you probably did) of keeping the radio to use with future airplanes even after I use the C 182 for digging holes in the ground.

By the way, where are you from?
Old May 25, 2011, 09:23 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
Sky703 TX/Rvr

PsicoPete,
At the time I bought the C-182 from ModelTronic I didnt think of spare parts except for props. Found out the hard way that they did not stock spare wings. I was left with a lot of parts that could be salvaged and no way of repairing my a/c to an airworthy condition. Really pissed me off. I think Modeltronic now stocks the wing. Most other parts in normal accidents can be repaired one way or another. When the single piece wing breaks, you are screwed. Im pleased with the TX & Rcver. I might buy another Rcvr (about 20 Euros) to install in another aircraft. I bought 2 Corsairs (39 euros each) to use one for spare parts. Works out cheaper this way. BTW Im an American living in the Madrid, Spain area.
billck6 is offline Find More Posts by billck6
Old May 27, 2011, 05:54 PM
Joined May 2011
3 Posts

Hi all.
New to this. I bought a Skyartec cessna 182 + 703 controller. I was told it would be a good stable first plane. How wrong that was.
Thought the flight simulator would be a good start to learning to fly? It may have been, if I could have got it to work! Have since read a few articles which point out the problems had with these.
On my first start up the esc burned out! About 2 seconds into starting. So at least I didn't have time for my first crash.
Finally got it in the air, only to experience my first crash very swiftly. These aircraft appear to be very fast and difficult to control for a beginner like me.
I have since had 2 more crashes, burned out all the servos, and am having trouble with the engine.
All in all, it has seriously dulled my enthusiasm for learning to fly aircraft!
May stick to my boats?
Rangi is offline Find More Posts by Rangi
Old May 28, 2011, 12:24 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangi View Post
Hi all.
New to this. I bought a Skyartec cessna 182 + 703 controller. I was told it would be a good stable first plane. How wrong that was.
Thought the flight simulator would be a good start to learning to fly? It may have been, if I could have got it to work! Have since read a few articles which point out the problems had with these.
On my first start up the esc burned out! About 2 seconds into starting. So at least I didn't have time for my first crash.
Finally got it in the air, only to experience my first crash very swiftly. These aircraft appear to be very fast and difficult to control for a beginner like me.
I have since had 2 more crashes, burned out all the servos, and am having trouble with the engine.
All in all, it has seriously dulled my enthusiasm for learning to fly aircraft!
May stick to my boats?
This is why it is so important to deal with a full service dealer that offers customer support, replacement of factory defective parts and does bench testing of all the electrical, electronic and mechanical parts before they ship. The large box houses like HK, RCCastle, Nitro etc just don't do what the smaller independent dealer does.

Your profile does not say what your location is. What country are you in? Your problems are not at all typical of this set, however all RC Products can have the occasional bad or defective item.

Max
Site Sponsor