HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Dec 2010
102 Posts
Problem solved, check out some of my posts, step 1 epoxy the seams on the floats, step 2, using aluminum angle move the floats back 4.5 inches, step 3 relocate the float rudder servo, step 4 get a better prop and spinner. With a little tweaking you should be able to get er up off the water, not the cleanest moving thing on the water, but its a thousand times better than the stock setup, check out some of my pictures, at your request I can take and post more detailed ones if you like. All in all I think I have about 20 hours in the fixes listed above, so not too bad if you take your time and do it right.
gwidgery is offline Find More Posts by gwidgery
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Dec 2010
102 Posts
Anyone who has laid their Cessna in its final resting spot would want to part with the windshield, Mine is at the bottom of the Haxtun pond. Let me know I will pay for it, otherwise I have to rock the masking tape of pay for a whole new fuselage just for the windshield.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:29 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Cheers, some photos would be fantastic
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:51 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
Alex, check pg 17, post 242 has all of gwidgery's photos for his mod.

There's two other alternatives, mike tully has a good comparison pic showing mods to the step on the floats on page 3, post 35
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...DSC_0003.1.jpg
There's also one other mod to move the floats back posted earlier on youtube, linked by vrider. Check page 14, post 208.

Regardless of those, I gotta say that was some awsome flying in your vid there alex. But I can't help but notice there didn't seem to be issue with that particular 182 getting off water. Then I noticed the different livery and noticed it's the 1.8m version, not the 1.5m wingspan. You've got a different motor, prop and presumably 4s lipo. Leaking floats or not, if that 182 is stock and flies off the water like that, plus pulls off those moves in flight, floats n all, I think I want the 1.8 version.
bellyup is offline Find More Posts by bellyup
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:28 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyup View Post

There's two other alternatives, mike tully has a good comparison pic showing mods to the step on the floats on page 3, post 35
There's also one other mod to move the floats back posted earlier on youtube, linked by vrider. Check page 14, post 208.

Regardless of those, I gotta say that was some awsome flying in your vid there alex. But I can't help but notice there didn't seem to be issue with that particular 182 getting off water. Then I noticed the different livery and noticed it's the 1.8m version, not the 1.5m wingspan. You've got a different motor, prop and presumably 4s lipo. Leaking floats or not, if that 182 is stock and flies off the water like that, plus pulls off those moves in flight, floats n all, I think I want the 1.8 version.
I have the 1.9 metre Tian Sheng 182 but only as a converted tail dragger, never had floats on it
I ditched the stock motor and went with an eflite power 32 I had lying around, and with a 4S 5800mah batt, she's a real nice bird, everyone comments on how scale she looks in the air, flies a treat
I fly her scale only, I have an extra 300 for playtime, but that said, a few months ago someone had one of the 1.9 182's inverted inches off the ground, knife edges, even prop hanging lol once the weak points are rectified these apparently have quite a varied flight envelope
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 30, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:07 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyup View Post

Cheers, thanks for your kind words. It's my mates plane, he has been having problems flying it, and landings usually end up being an instant dead stop on touch down. Floats seem to grab and stop it, only the best landing and takeoff was put in that video. Rearward CG too.

I will get him to move the floats back and maybe reduce the V and square off the step.
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Jul 2011
3 Posts
Hi,Gwidgery.Just wanted to share with you how I have hooked up the float rudder(s) to the rudder servo on some of my models.This goes for the 182 with tricycle setup.Simply make an T-shape out of a rudderhorn and a steelrod (4mm)to fit into place where the steeringwheel are situated. Hook up the cable and lead it through a tube back to the rudders.The tube should be attached to the float legs in a way that does not bend it too much.I always use rudder on both floats for max waterhandling and egual drag on takeoff.
Howto is offline Find More Posts by Howto
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
stable flight off water

I wanted to post my experience with this plane because I finally have it worked out after struggling with it for a couple summers.

Here are a list of all the problems I've had with this plane:
- motor that screeched and shut down at full throttle
- batteries that puffed up and overheated within 4 minutes of flying
- extremely poor flying characteristics with floats
- very difficult to get it off the water

i experimented with 4s and 3s batteries and various props. Tried 10X7 3 blade with 4s and it puffed the batteries. Tried various 2 blade props with 3s and couldnt get off the water. My final combo was 10x8 2 blade with 4s using lots of throw adjustment on throttle to dial it down to max 40 amps on full.
Pleasr note that I also have full flaps on for takeoff.

Here's what finally did the trick on the floats: I moved the plane up 1" on the floats. (not 5" as the guy from Australia did) One inch allowed the plane to get up on step easier and it actually smoothed out the flight characteristics. The Cg was perfect. No adjustments were made to the step or the shape of the float.

Thank you to the Aussie for inspiring the float position change. You just need to do it only 1" and it is magic. Technically the floats were in the correct design position out of the box but just didn't balance with this plane.

Good luck.
sklebanoff is offline Find More Posts by sklebanoff
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sklebanoff View Post

Here's what finally did the trick on the floats: I moved the plane up 1" on the floats. (not 5" as the guy from Australia did) One inch allowed the plane to get up on step easier and it actually smoothed out the flight characteristics.
Good luck.
Hi,
Can you explain further what you mean by "moved the plane up 1" on the floats" ? Do you mean you push the plane 1" forward from the floats?

Thanks in advance.
genghiskt is offline Find More Posts by genghiskt
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Dec 2010
102 Posts
Pictures work wonders, lets see some pictures with these posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:45 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
My brother is flying this plane, but not on floats.
He had some problems with the landing gear, we converted the plane to tail drag since the nosewheel was failing all the time.
The motor has also been changed to an NTM Propdrive 35-36 910kv / max 350watt, I think the prop is a 10x8 wood at the moment. The original engine was stronger, but emptied the batteries really quick, and did not give the plane that much more speed.
Here's an onboard video of a couple of flights he did:
Cessnasept12 2flights (8 min 42 sec)

And here's a video where I try to film the cessna from the air..
chasingCessna24aug (3 min 57 sec)
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,777 Posts
I found this plane at Nitroplanes but couldn't find a review until I stumbled on this thread.
It looks like the NP version may have modified floats, but I can't tell if any other improvements have been made.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/07a002-185-blue-arf.html

Are any of you familiar with the NP version? Is it the same plane Banana and Castle sells and if so, is it worth getting.

I have an FMS 182 which I love and was looking for another Cessna to go with it.

Jim

Are any of you familiar with the NP version? Is it the same plane Banana and Castle sells and if so, is it worth getting.

I have an FMS 182 which I love and was looking for another Cessna to go with it.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Dec 2010
102 Posts
WVrailfan it looks identical. 3 big changes to make, 2 Blade prop, Move gear forward on the floats, and relocate the float rudder servo. Cruise through this thread on how to do all 3 of those things.

P.S. It's cheaper from hobby king

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10830

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15148
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwidgery View Post
WVrailfan it looks identical. 3 big changes to make, 2 Blade prop, Move gear forward on the floats, and relocate the float rudder servo. Cruise through this thread on how to do all 3 of those things.

P.S. It's cheaper from hobby king

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10830

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15148
The HK plane is a Cessna 182 which is a tricycle gear model while the NP planes is a Cessna 185, tail dragger. You are right, they do look alike other than the landing gear.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:56 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Hi guys,
Just got this plane. Going to try a 10x7 on 4S 2650 40C.
Whats the ESC in there?
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer