New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by FlyerWannaBe
United States, TX, Victoria
Joined May 2008
56 Posts
Discussion
DLE40 issues

Am I the only one that bought a DLE 40 that has a mid range bog that can't be tuned out? I have gotten two in a row from Tower, and it seems to have a fuel pooling problem like the Version One DLE 30 had.

WOT is great, idle is great. After you slam the throttle all the way open the first time, it's slow to wind up, but after that it's good. Then you taxi it out and take off, and it almost dies, because it's rich. After it reaches WOT, it cleans out, leaves a trail like a glow engine, and runs great at WOT. Anytime you slow it down though, it burbles like it's rich and bogs big time getting back to WOT.

This second engine is going back to Tower /Hobbico tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed. If I'm lucky, they'll refund my money, and I'll do something different.

It flies this Valiant very well if you keep it wind open though. :-)
FlyerWannaBe is offline Find More Posts by FlyerWannaBe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2015, 07:00 AM
WCB
Find More Posts by WCB
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,330 Posts
Sometimes you can tune the mid range burble out by leaning the low end, but a lot of times if you do that you end up too lean on the bottom. Setting the plug gap at .026 will help. You may have to tune it for good idle and transition and live with the mid range burble.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old Dec 16, 2015, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by Cathurga
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
841 Posts
I have had DLE 30, 35 & 55 as well as some RCG engines, and all of them ran a lot better when I had done the reed block clean up mod. The RCG engines I had were noticeably worse with regards to how the reeds were sitting against the block and one of them was so bad you could actually see that the reeds were not closing.

Since the first one I did ran so much better after the mod, I did all of them before I even ran them. The rcg 30 in particular, ran like a Swiss watch. The DLE 30, after run in, starts so easily now that I'm standing behind the prop, holding the plane with my legs and flick start it from behind Never had a problem with any of them.
Cathurga is online now Find More Posts by Cathurga
Old Jan 14, 2016, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by Desertlakesflyin
Back Roads Outlaws
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Feb 2012
76 Posts
My 20, 35, and 55 RA models or my VVRC 40 twin have no problems at all, but then again I don't use pump gas or regular 2 stroke oil. I use 100LL from the airport and Lucas racing 2 stroke oil, with a splash of Marvel Mystery oil thrown in. All run cool, clean, and transition perfectly.
Desertlakesflyin is offline Find More Posts by Desertlakesflyin