New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by James Rhodes
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
Build Log
SU 33 2x90mm (SU-33 Flanker-D)

Classic CAD design by Pekos, custom project started : SU 33 2x 90mm edf, lenght 2000mm. This kit can be purchased from DS Models is 1/10th scale; http://www.scmodels.com.au/rc-custom...u33/index.html. It does not come with plans but is an easy build by using the CAD pic's provided. I had been looking for a SU-33 and was excited to fine this one. Initially I was overwhelmed when I opened the box looking at all the pieces because the kit dose not come with plans or instructions. But, after investigation I found all the pieces to be numbered/ labeled. Using the CAD drawings/ pic's I found this A/C to be easy to put together. I will add a little bit day by day until I have put on all of the 100 or more pics' I have taken so far. The design is modular. Today I will start off with construction of the nose. The first piece to sort out is the nose profile. I found the nose profile and rib halves and CA'ed the ribs in place (slots shown).
James Rhodes is offline Find More Posts by James Rhodes
Last edited by James Rhodes; Nov 26, 2015 at 11:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2015, 01:53 PM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
SU 33 2x90mm (SU-33 Flanker-D)

I would like to back up one step. The list below are the sources I purchased my parts from. This should save you time in hunting around the internet:

http://www.therccustomjets.cz/en/classic-construction S
3K Roll Wrapped Carbon Fiber Tube: 2pcs 15x13x500mm High Gloss
3K Roll Wrapped Carbon Fiber Tube: 2pcs 17x15x500mm High Gloss
3K Roll Wrapped Carbon Fiber Tube: 2pcs 8x6x500mm High Gloss
3K Roll Wrapped Carbon Fiber Tube: 2pcs 10x6x500mm High Gloss ed
10pcs MR115-2RS Rubber Sealed Ball Bearing Miniature Bearing 5 x 11 x 4mm

1PCS 10mm*12mm*500mm Roll Wrapped Carbon Fiber Tube 3K Glossy For Airplane New

5pcs 4 mm Diameter x 500mm Carbon Fiber Rods For RC Airplane High Quality Pole
6 MM OD x 4 MM ID Carbon Fiber Tube 3k 500MM Long (Roll Wrapped) carbon pipe

10MM OD x 8MM ID Carbon Fiber Tube 3k 500MM Long (Roll Wrapped)carbon pipe 10*8

Ebay: The NEW XRP Scale Lighting System for 500-800 size scale helis & airplane
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-NEW-XRP-...sAAOSwGvhUIkEV

Motion R/C:
SU-35 - for video, Freewing SU-35 Nose Gear Plastic Parts, Freewing Landing Gear Door Sequencer V2, Freewing SU-35 Retractable Nose Gear

F-15 - Freewing 90mm F-15 Air Brake Controller, Freewing 90mm F-15C Air Brake Support Rod, Freewing 90mm F-15 Landing Gear Door Sequencer, Freewing 90mm F-15 LED Light Controller

F-16 - Freewing 90mm F-16 Tail Flame LED Lights, Freewing 90mm F-16 Controller Module, 17g metal gear Servos

EDFHOBBIES: SOURCE FOR 90MM EDF AND ESC UNIT COMBO - http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...&product_id=29
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:40 AM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
Su-33 Top Half forward fusilage construction

The next series of photos show the assembly of the forward top half of the SU-33. Get the tray to plug the ribs in. Lay out the ribs (they're numbered 1 thru 30). Get a couple of 1/4 square balsa sticks and cut 1" lengths. They are to be used to set the ribs up as you plug them into trays with 10-15 second CA. This process should take you about 20 to 30 minutes.
Last edited by James Rhodes; Dec 03, 2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by Rapti
Switzerland, ZH, Zurich
Joined May 2011
40 Posts
James are you sure about the Freewing SU-35 landing gears?
This SU-35 is lot smaller then yours and the weight of the Freewing Sukhoi is about 2600gr.

Your SU-35 will be about 6 to 7 kg!

I never would use such a "poor" landing gear from Freewing for a superb model you are building.

I would prefer this one:
http://www.electron-retracts.com/pro.../er-30evo.html

It's for planes up to 8kg. Of course, it's 10 times the price of the Freewing "thing", but you will spend so much time for building the plane. I never would trust the cheap Freewing gears!
Rapti is offline Find More Posts by Rapti
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by acesimmer
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,592 Posts
I use this gear on my large EuroFighters that weigh above 20Lbs. Really reliable with no problems todate. PZ 15096. I drill them out from 5mm to 1/4" for SS pins so that I can use the 1/2" Dubro Struts. I get them from PW-RC and or Hobbyking. Aprox $8.00 each
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Nov 29, 2015, 01:57 PM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
Update on SU-33

The lower front section is easy to. Lay out your pieces first then simply start super gluing them in. Once you have the bottom done you can attach the nose and slide in the front ducts provided with the kit. The model in the picture will be used to add detail as I go a long.
Last edited by James Rhodes; Nov 29, 2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 02:08 PM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
The nose gear from the Freewing SU-35 is the only part I am looking to use from that A/C. The model of the SU-33 is 10' long than theirs so I figured it might work. I still have the Turnigy HobbyKing SU-37 nose gear to fall back on. The whole set from them was only $140, which includes rotating mains. I understand what you guys are saying. You don't want to go cheap on something like this.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:01 PM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
Rear Section Construction

Once you lay the rear out you'll see you have two of everything (all numbered). Glue the halves into their slots. When you're done then glue the halves together. Line the rear of the A/C with the front. Don't worry about the rear wanting to curve around. Connect the front and rear. The next step will be to straighten out the spine. That is done by getting a yard or meter stick. Place it done the spine to straighten it out. Holding it in place super glue the stringers in. Use bass or hard wood for the stringers. With them in place you can remove the yard stick and the spine will remain straight. Place the vertical stab pieces in their slots. That will help to stiffen out the rear.
Last edited by James Rhodes; Nov 29, 2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:14 PM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
Additional

Additional pictures of the rear.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:01 PM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
Tail Boom Mode

I used these pic's as a reference to mod the tail boom. You need to put the stiffeners/ stringers in before you cut off the pieces. I have a couple more thing to do to the boom. The decals on this model are the ones I had custom made.
Old Dec 01, 2015, 02:21 AM
Find More Posts by Mohan Sharma
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
eager to see the progress.
Mohan Sharma is offline Find More Posts by Mohan Sharma
Old Dec 01, 2015, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by acesimmer
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,592 Posts
Looking very nice but the last thing I would do is to use that Freewing cheap gear set. I had the FWSu35 and had nothing but issues with the gear. Its under rated for the weight with soft Steele pins etc. Do your self a favor and purchase some worthy gear for this nice model kit.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Dec 02, 2015, 07:53 AM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
Contruction Update

Here are some additional pic's. The frame connected with the fans, ESC's dry fitted and landing where it will be positioned.
Old Dec 02, 2015, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
5,249 Posts
Great project!
Thanks for making this build thread.
May I suggest that part of the ESCs be exposed to the ducting airflow for cooling. Easy to do now and will not impact performance.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Dec 02, 2015, 08:11 AM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
Bottom View of the A/C

Here are bottom views of the SU-33 and setup of the vertical stab's. 4Stripes I will look into doing that when I start the covering. Once I put the stiffeners on, the tail was stronger, straight and not limp.
Last edited by James Rhodes; Dec 03, 2015 at 02:11 AM.