New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2016, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by Rdimand
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Jun 2013
1,166 Posts
My flying buddy and mentor think this power setup is just too much for Habu 2, with 130 and much heavier battery, just too heavy for much other than great top end. He's trying to talk me into yanking motor and putting into a larger plane. My 6S battery weighs 483 grams, have a bunch of 5S just slightly lighter, and getting into 6S 3300 weigh around 560 grams, almost 3oz more. Sure seems to echo the sentiment here.

Tonite I'll see how where cg and battery size fall, habu is built, color added bound and ready to go. Most likely will do maiden at 80% max and get the feel. Not sure I feel like popping $ for another new edf, I did just get a used Dr. Mad Thrust Series Motor B2970 - 2600kv for 70 mm EDF / 6s, but need new blades, some chipping noted, HK has replacements. Maybe this is better for Habu, but really thing the WeMoTec/HET is in another league.

Now if I can maintain 80% and resist punching it..... And the $99 Habu bare airframe is a STEAL!!
Rdimand is online now Find More Posts by Rdimand
Last edited by Rdimand; Feb 01, 2016 at 08:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2016, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by FireHawx
FireHawx
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Oct 2011
1,612 Posts
Just go for it! I would stay 6S, when I ran mine on 5S it did not make sense (weight/power/speed). But on 6S it came alive!!
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Feb 01, 2016, 11:21 PM
Joined Jun 2013
1,166 Posts
Easy decision, 1/2" tail heavy, so grabbing a 3300 65c or 3700 45c tomorrow before maiden. Good thing I have been selling combat wings, will move a couple more to fund this fun
Old Feb 01, 2016, 11:53 PM
Find More Posts by efflux RC
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
10,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdimand View Post
Easy decision, 1/2" tail heavy, so grabbing a 3300 65c or 3700 45c tomorrow before maiden. Good thing I have been selling combat wings, will move a couple more to fund this fun
You did say you wanted fast. As discussed, it takes more power for EDFs than a prop.
I would suggest the 45C, 3700mAh. Those Gens Ace packs I used are HUGE. There are lipos out there now that pack the same punch in a smaller lighter package.

Nice Habu 2, Great visibility.
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Feb 02, 2016, 12:57 AM
Joined Jun 2013
1,166 Posts
Many thanks Gary. Looks like the Pulse 3700 45C wins, I am a huge Pulse fan, hope it fits without too much surgery. Should balance perfectly. Can pick up tomorrow.

The 2700 6S will find it's home in one of my large Combat Wings, already has 130A and Scorpion 3226, a perfect match.

Loved the Habu 2 build from bare airframe, if I was to do again, what would you recommend for a more lightweight setup, but still some zip?? Think I want 2 of these, perfect size and price, 2nd build will be even easier. Also, I have lots of 5S 3000 from my wings.
Last edited by Rdimand; Feb 02, 2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2016, 01:33 AM
Find More Posts by efflux RC
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
10,290 Posts
Not sure if I read that some folks may be running the stock motor on 5s, Maybe with a heat sink. You might do a search on that.
The stock EDF uses a 3200kv motor on 4s. If you want any more speed on 4s, you'll need a higher kv motor. Anything higher than stock is always gonna pull more amps.
For a light weight setup with the better sounding Wemo EVO. The the HET 2W-20 (3400kv) is 821W @ 56A (about 60A in the jet).
This would certainly be a nice light, aerobatic, floaty set up. It wouldn't even need the flap mod.
Stock speed is 82mph. This might get ya 90+mph.
Battery would be 2600-3200Mah.

There are plenty of power options out there. Just match the thrust/ amps/weight to what your priorities are.

Here's the Wemotec data chart with many of the options for the EVO fan.
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Feb 02, 2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 11:03 AM
Joined Jun 2013
1,166 Posts
Maiden aborted. While doing taxiing to get rudder - nose wheel in alignment, sucked a small rock into edf, that doesn't go well. Only about 3-4 mph, found this being the stopped jet. Have a backup while I wait for new blades (Thanks efflux) and balance the setup. Day wasn't totally lost, had a great night of combat!

Hope to try again this weekend.
Old Mar 06, 2016, 01:19 AM
Find More Posts by fairplane
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
833 Posts
Hi all- I recently purchased a stock used habu 2. It has flaps and retracts. I have been looking through the various threads and have a couple questions. The paint on mine needs some work and I have seen lots of different paint schemes. Can you use say rustoleum paints as on epp foam planes? I saw krylon fusion- would this be acceptable on the Z foam as well? We do have a Michael's and I saw some spray paint used from there as well. Which paint in your opinion works the best? In regards to lipos I have been looking at some wild scorpion 4s 3500 mah 35c

http://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Scorpio..._1457248016208
Click on description for the lipo specs

- would these work OK?. I am also planning on moving the esc into the duct and was wondering what c of g setting works best?Are there any other must do mods in your opinion? This will be my first full size edf. I presently have flown the umx mig and umx habu. So looking forward to flying this bird! Although it won't be for a while as we still have plenty of snow!Thanks in advance for you replies!
fairplane is online now Find More Posts by fairplane
Last edited by fairplane; Mar 06, 2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2016, 02:33 AM
Joined Jun 2013
1,166 Posts
After a few years of trying this that and many others, I'm a Pulse fan, period.
Old Mar 06, 2016, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by jgalexander
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,281 Posts
Hi Fairplane,
the ducted fan mod is probably the most important one. Going 5s is good too if you're interested in more speed/thrust. You may need to remove some foam from the rear of the battery area to cg the plane with a 5s lipo.

In regards to good lipos, there's a pretty good thread here on lipo brand testing: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767093. From the testing done there, Revo, Turnigy Bolt, Turnigy Graphene, and a few others tend to lead the way. Pulse are decent, but appear to charge a premium price for an average battery. Food for thought... Since you're in Canada, is it easier to buy from HK than from the USA?

I use Gens Ace 25C lipos for many of my edf applications, but I also have a variety of other brands that I've acquired for cheap - not a racer, so I ain't too picky
Best,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
Old Mar 06, 2016, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by mustangflyer
Joined Aug 2009
150 Posts
Nose retract for Habu 2

What is the best upgraded or replacement nose gear retract?
Been using the 10-15 e-flite $50 nose retract ( $ OUCH $ )
Did a search and didn't come up with much.
mustangflyer is offline Find More Posts by mustangflyer
Old Mar 06, 2016, 12:48 PM
Joined Aug 2006
833 Posts
There is some talk about hobbyking retracts on page 33 of this thread.

QUOTE=mustangflyer;34188483]What is the best upgraded or replacement nose gear retract?
Been using the 10-15 e-flite $50 nose retract ( $ OUCH $ )
Did a search and didn't come up with much.[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 06, 2016, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by tracknoob
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
6,477 Posts
I have two Habu 2s (And three UMX Habus!) and most of my flight gear and my planes are Eflite. So not an anti-Eflite person at all.

That said, anyone coming to the thread at this late date really should know that even if someone literally gives you a stock foamie Habu, you will still be money and satisfaction ahead to get ANY of the more modern, simpler, spunkier, lighter, tougher, cheaper EDFs in this segment. It's not that it was a 'bad' plane exactly, it's just that time and technology has moved on, and the Habu is pretty dated, and did not fare well against other newer designs as time went on .
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Mar 06, 2016, 01:58 PM
Joined Aug 2006
833 Posts
What is the ducted fan mod you speak of? I am not really concerned about going fast- yet! It used to be easier buying from hobbyking but not really anymore. With the exchange and higher shipping I have been looking for lipos here in Canada. The wild scorpions appear to fit the bill for the habu 2 and reviews are favorable, but only actually trying them will prove that. And they are reasonably priced @$55 canadian. Free shipping on orders over $100. I'm not too picky either, just want some reliability and decent quality and performance. I had a look at some of the graphines but none fit the requirements and the turnigy bolts that might work are almost $100 more than the scorpions.Thanks for your reply.

QUOTE=jgalexander;34188437]Hi Fairplane,
the ducted fan mod is probably the most important one. Going 5s is good too if you're interested in more speed/thrust. You may need to remove some foam from the rear of the battery area to cg the plane with a 5s lipo.

In regards to good lipos, there's a pretty good thread here on lipo brand testing: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767093. From the testing done there, Revo, Turnigy Bolt, Turnigy Graphene, and a few others tend to lead the way. Pulse are decent, but appear to charge a premium price for an average battery. Food for thought... Since you're in Canada, is it easier to buy from HK than from the USA?

I use Gens Ace 25C lipos for many of my edf applications, but I also have a variety of other brands that I've acquired for cheap - not a racer, so I ain't too picky
Best,
Josh[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 06, 2016, 02:00 PM
Joined Aug 2006
833 Posts
Examples please. for edf beginners!

QUOTE=tracknoob;34189609]I have two Habu 2s (And three UMX Habus!) and most of my flight gear and my planes are Eflite. So not an anti-Eflite person at all.

That said, anyone coming to the thread at this late date really should know that even if someone literally gives you a stock foamie Habu, you will still be money and satisfaction ahead to get ANY of the more modern, simpler, spunkier, lighter, tougher, cheaper EDFs in this segment. It's not that it was a 'bad' plane exactly, it's just that time and technology has moved on, and the Habu is pretty dated, and did not fare well against other newer designs as time went on .[/QUOTE]
Last edited by fairplane; Mar 06, 2016 at 02:06 PM.