HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2007, 09:17 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,040 Posts
Help!
Great Lakes Biplane

A co-worker just acquired an old Great Lakes Aircraft Co. Biplane; he is curious as to how much it's worth.

It's a stick and tissue build, very nicely done, about 42" WS. The upper wing has about a 10 degree sweep to it. Runs on a .40 engine.
The kit has been professionally built, and flown by a guy getting transferred to Japan. It's in beautiful shape!

Any ideas as to what it's worth?
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2007, 07:49 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Joined Dec 2005
1,040 Posts
Here's a couple of pictures of it.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 08:28 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
depends on what equipment is in it..

The airframe... hard to tell without up-close and personal inspection. $100 to $500... more likely somewhere near $200
Never worth as much on the used market as it would cost to build... or buy from a pro builder.

Engine ????

Servos in it???

Got the receiver?
Got the transmitter?

The Great Lakes is a neat aircraft.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jul 31, 2007, 09:47 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Joined Dec 2005
1,040 Posts
Have RX and TX (Futaba), servos are futabas, believe they are s31003's, and has a .40 engine. Runs, have not tried to fly it, as we don't want to damage it. This plane is just too nice for me to fly....would make a nice display piece!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 11:44 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
3103's are better than the basic standard servos...

My advice... if you like it for a display model... take the engine off and clean everything thouroughly...
take the engine apart... clean and lube it with preservative grease... then put it back in.

That way.. fuel residue won't be deteriorating the model.

Don't let the cobwebs build up too much...

The painted tissue finish is where you'll have potential troubles with its lifespan as a display model. If the builder used "Butyrate dope"... it continues to shrin k the covering FOREVER. Eventually it will split the covering. (5 to 10 years... sometimes with some preservation techniques you can make the finish survive 20 years)

There are some more modern paints that don't have that issue... But its something to watch for.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Aug 01, 2007, 05:20 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Joined Dec 2005
1,040 Posts
Okay, I'll pass that on; the guy is more interested in selling the plane than keeping it, though. It's very clean, from what I was told, it was not flown much. We fueled it and fired it up to make sure the engine ran, IMO it's somewhat overpowered, but you know the deal with that; better to have and not need than need and not have!
Old Aug 01, 2007, 05:17 PM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
781 Posts
Looks like a Flyline Models GL 2T1-A. Yes, a .40 is way more than ample.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Today, 09:35 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,659 Posts
I does look like the Flyline kit tand that one akes a 15 to 25... got to a bit nose heavy with the 40 up front? The way the gear is.. it's how it was designed but looks much less troublesome. The kits of this don't last on ebay, etc for very long but it is a 'builders' kit.. Not sure what someone would pay for what is now an RTF.
Thermalin is online now Find More Posts by Thermalin