SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 26, 2015, 09:56 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
652 Posts
Discussion
Small ESC for Boat?

I have an old Billing 28" trawler that I originally built about 1970. About 12 years ago I converted it to a (then) modern ESC and I have a S-280 geared motor in it.

at the time Dura-Trax made a small bi-directional ESC. It was for 1/18 scale cars. It has worked just fine in a boat with a small motor.

That ESC is no longer manufactured. I have been looking for something similar but no such luck. Everything I find is for larger motors.

Any suggestions? I have heard of modifying servos to be drive motors for small boats.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa.
Rotten Robbie is offline Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:19 PM
Yes, that is Jamie
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,837 Posts
You can get this one from Tower, made by HPI for their 1/18 scale truck:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDVBP&P=7

or this one:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBUSC&P=7

Both have reverse. Be careful of the really cheap ESC's from China seen on eBay. I bought one that was suppose to be rated at 25A for my small lobster boat running an S280 motor and the ESC gets very, very hot.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:41 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
652 Posts
Thanks,

The HPI has the same connectors my DuraTrax has.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:42 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,345 Posts
You might check out the Mtroniks Micro Viper Marine 10

http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/m...d_controls.htm

http://www.sub-driver.com/mtroniks-m...ontroller.html

They're made for boats, are waterproof and have proportional fwd & rev...

I've been really happy with all of the Mtroniks ESC's that I have.
capntroy is online now Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Feb 27, 2015, 04:19 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,065 Posts
Back in the days of resistance controllers, the motor and controller needed to be properly matched to get reasonable control. Modern ESCs work differently, and generally, what will control a large motor will be equally effective on a small motor. A higher current rating means a bigger safety margin. Unless you look at oriental devices where the rating process consists of adding the maximum current carrying ability of every single semiconductor in the device under improbable circumstances and using that. I've found the Mtroniks units to be versatile, well behaved, and honestly rated.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Feb 27, 2015, 07:24 AM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
652 Posts
The HPI unit above seems to be a good alternative to the DuraTrax unit I have. It looks like the same size and has the same connectors.

It's a matter of size for these small boats. These boats are only about 24" in length.

I use the larger Futaba ESCs for my larger boats.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa
Old Feb 27, 2015, 07:32 AM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
652 Posts
Here is an example:
Old Feb 27, 2015, 03:35 PM
Yes, that is Jamie
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,837 Posts
Very nice boat Bob. You're right, there isn't much room in there. Those smaller Mtroniks are pretty small though and would fit, but there's something to be said for "plug N' play", so the HPI EN-2 would probably fit your needs better in this instance.

-Wes
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Feb 28, 2015, 08:38 AM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02 View Post
...Modern ESCs work differently, and generally, what will control a large motor will be equally effective on a small motor. A higher current rating means a bigger safety margin.
Thinking along similar lines, does one need to be cognizant of properly mating a motor to an ESC in regards to the type of performance desired or are they all the same more or less? I'm trying to understand if there's a distinction because the ESCs meant for cars/trucks linked by babblefish appear, with their design and cooling fins, to be high performance and not quite capable of swinging a prop slowly.

There's proprietary 'marine' ESCs--what do they really offer (aside from waterproofing) as opposed to 'car' ESCs?
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Altering the Tug Hull
Old Feb 28, 2015, 08:47 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,960 Posts
equal fwd and rev.. many car ESC's are set for limited reverse..
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Feb 28, 2015, 08:56 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,065 Posts
A lot of the car types offer braking, which usually means a convoluted path to reverse. Since, with a boat, stopping the prop does next to nothing, and reverse really is the "brakes", this is not really useful. Marine ESCs should normally go straight to reverse on one swing of the stick. Many car types have a considerable heat sink which needs a supply of moving air to work and give adequate cooling at even a fraction of the claimed current rating. Boats, by their nature, are enclosed, so their ESCs are generally de-rated.
A lot of ESCs are low voltage only, Mtronics marine types are good to 12 volt batteries. I have used other small ESCs (and an Mtronics ground type) and come to the conclusion that, unless I really do need to go small and/or light, the real thing is ultimately the lowest cost option, if only because I only need to buy once.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Feb 28, 2015, 08:57 AM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
652 Posts
For my small boats I have been using model airplane S-280 motors wit 3:1 gearboxes:
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:45 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,392 Posts
Then the M-Tronics, 10 amp, should work perfect. Plus, it is reasonably priced.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:59 AM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Robbie View Post
For my small boats I have been using model airplane S-280 motors wit 3:1 gearboxes:
In another thread I noted that I also have a Billing Mary Ann/Nordsøkutter like yours waiting to be built some day. It is a nice kit. Since there's so very few built for RC here and around the web, I was wondering how did the motor and gearbox setup you chose work out for you and was there adequate speed and endurance?

The kit includes an odd 2-blade propeller and was also wondering if you used it or obtained another?
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Altering the Tug Hull