HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:38 AM
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Sep 2008
50 Posts
Discussion
Combat Models F-16N

Maybe you guys have heard this kicked around before, but I have a vintage Combat Models F-16 foam airframe that was designed for a glow pusher engine. After looking at the fuse, I really feel I can modify it for an air inlet and EDF unit. I have a 90mm wemotec unit on hand. I have heard people say online that it can't be done, but I say phooey to the naysayers ! I've learned building scratch foam models that the only limit is your own imagination! Anyone know or hear of this mod having been done on this jet?
speed20 is offline Find More Posts by speed20
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:14 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
1,173 Posts
I don't recall someone doing a thread on an EDF conversion, but many have flown it on electric brushless pusher. It can certainly be done. My mind goes straight to the intake area which is likely not enough. No worries, in would run a bell mouth over a rear mounted fan. The gear doors (if you are planning on retractable gear) will allow more air for takeoff. The other consideration is where to put the batteries. On the f-16 you usually put them behind the canopy, above the intake. I would think 8S or 10S and 2500 to 3000 watts would fly this really nice on an HET 650, 1400-1500 KV range. Post some pictures of the fuselage insides if you can. I have the CM A-10 NIB I still need to finish. That one is pretty east to put a Couple 70-80 mm fans in.
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:29 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,697 Posts
It's been tried - with horrible results.

Stock - it's no good for edf. You might as well hollow out everything and make your own ducts and mounts. It's not impossible - but it's more work than it's worth, especially since the Yellow and older BVM F-16's are the same size, make much nicer models, and are easy to convert.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Feb 17, 2015, 01:04 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,448 Posts
speed20, I like your attitude , but skyhawk has a very valid point..
Quote:
t it's more work than it's worth,
-

You have your work cut out for you an a project like this.

I bought a KMP F-18 last spring-- designed as a pusher--. In my case the intakes where just huge-not even good for the F-18 E - My preference is the "C" variant-- so I re-build the intakes--after gutting the fuse out, ( for room) I needed to hand craft each and every former for mounting everything--no small task.
making ducting is not my strong suit,, so I'm stuck there now.. - But I still intend on finishing it. I need a Guinna pig to practice on!

With Charles, at Yellow Aircraft shutting the doors this year-- Yellow kits are on the endangered species list.. I just bought a Starfire an d F-18 single kit, with retracts, the struts and wheels,, By the time I get around to building either, they will be history and no more parts either.

I just hope I'm not to dam old B-4 that happens- But still a great investment.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Feb 17, 2015, 01:51 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
1,173 Posts
It will be a big project for sure. You will really have to open up the intake area around the nose gear, and the cockpit area to hold the batteries. Use the most compact nose gear you can get away with...so the gear does not inhibit the intake airflow any more than necessary. You will need cheater holes for sure....cheaters similar to the Phase 3 F-16 are the best looking IMO. If you have the time, it can be done. I would glass the whole model first, and use 2 layers of .75oz around the intake and that area of the nose, so you can hollow out most the foam and still have some strength. Maybe even use some 1.5 or 2oz and then the .75 over the top from just behind the nose gear door...up to the tip of the nose...top and bottom. It will not add that much weight and you can really hog out the foam.

You would really be best off just going pusher with this jet. Or sell it and get the new 90mm Freewing F-16.
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Feb 18, 2015, 02:36 AM
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Sep 2008
50 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. When I can, I'll post a pic of the fuse profile so,you can see what the innards look like now
speed20 is offline Find More Posts by speed20
Old Feb 18, 2015, 03:34 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,448 Posts
Now B-4 you get to involved in this project-- I would suggest you do this first! It worked great to make the intakes for an F-18 I'm doing

You said your going to use -(I have a 90mm wemotec unit on hand.)
But first you need to know what the FSA of the Wemo

I found thee here- http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...onversion.html
Wing Span - 45"
Fuselage - 68"
Wing Area 650 sq. inches
Wing loading 25 oz sq. foot
Weight - 7 - 8 lbs.

Given those measurements, and comparing it to a (F-16C Block 50), the scale on this- 1/8.7.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...ighting_Falcon

This part takes some trial and error to get done-- Find the best full frontal pic of the intake as you can-..-
Enlarge it to1/8.7, then compare it with your kit-

I used this and matched up with my fuse --and I came out with a touch over 100% FSA.. It is more work than it sounds, but it will save time and money in the long run. At least it will let you know where you stand on intake size.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:47 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,150 Posts
I saw one fly ducted fan in the later 90's. Had a Dynamax fan and Os 65 DF motor. Flew quite well. He had a number of blow in doors to allow the fan the breath on take off. A couple were on the top and the others were on the lower side. He did a great job on the doors. Spring loaded open but as the air flowed through they would be pushed closed by the air flow. A good 90 mm or 100 mm fan should fly one today.
Good Luck with the project.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Feb 19, 2015, 09:48 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,046 Posts
I had one with an O.S. .45 VFDF and it flew OK, not a speed demon. I currently have a kit at home and planned to install a 90MM fan on it. Without major surgery battery location and size will be a problem. I can see being able to fit up 8S without major surgery. By moving the control surface servos to the wings and Tail, you might be able to get another battery in the nose where the servo try originally would go. Maybe one of these days I will get to it, but I have been saying that for a couple of years now

Ralph
CRCJA is online now Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:21 AM
Joined Dec 2008
6,448 Posts
I can only speak about my F-18 project , which similar size-- L=65", WS = 47" .And if I may add not finished or proven --yet!

Of course the intakes and bifurcated exhaust are way different, but still , once you gut out eh entire fuse , You now just have a shell for a fuse. and there IS JUST, enough room for a 90mm fan--

The down side is , you need to hand make all the formers to hold all the components needed. You will also need to do some glassing on inside of fuse to hold formers in place. I also plan on glassing the entire exterior too--

My best guess at AUW , with 12s, 5000 mAh , about 12 lb , give or take.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Feb 19, 2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 03:24 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,697 Posts
This will fit a 90mm fan nicely - but the stock ducting is so bad it takes way more watts than it should to make it go anywhere. So you need new ducting - then of course you need to re-design the gear, and you need to fit batteries and support bulkheads. It's a good DIY project if you like long scratch builds because it's basicly just a shell.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk