Find More Posts by NewZee
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
852 Posts
Build Log
48" Easy Stick, (Ugly Stick) .25 size, Balsa ARF, Value Hobby

Hello All,

The "Ugly Stick" is a venerable design and has been enjoyed by many in the RC airplane hobby for decades! the design scales well from small "Park Flyers" to "Giant" scale airplanes.

I decided I needed one of these great planes in my hangar! My great kids got me one for Fathers Day!!

While I admit that the current "Ultra Stick" and "Mini Ultra Stick" from Great Planes is a great model (many flying at my club), I wanted the classic "Red Baron" scheme (Red with white stripes and Maltese Crosses).

So I decided to go with the 48" Easy Stick from Value Hobby.
http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...ik-25-arf.html

I think the plane represents good value ($70 sale price), the plane is a nice size (48" WS, .25 size), and is a nice flyer (I've seen several in the air), and can be powered by glow or electric power (I'll use electric).

Any way my intent here is to do a "build log" with plenty of pictures, and discussion along the way! I hope to hear from many of you who fly, or flew the Ugly stick in any of it's incarnations, and that you will "subscribe" to my thread and follow my progress.

...New Zee (Bill)
NewZee is offline Find More Posts by NewZee
Last edited by NewZee; Jun 27, 2015 at 11:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2015, 01:41 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
852 Posts
Unboxing, inspection-first impressions

The "ARF" Kit arrived quickly from Value Hobby. The kit was double boxed and well packed. each of the main components (Wings, Fuse, elevator, vertical stab/rudder were bagged separately), small component parts were also bagged, and separated by a cardboard separator.

Included was a very good instruction manual.

The kit is complete, and the plane will only need, servo's, motor, battery, prop, and Rx to finish.

there was no damage noted to any component. the quality of the construction, covering, etc. seems very good!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by PHerder
United States, KS, Sedgwick
Joined Nov 2004
273 Posts
Bill, can you measure the area under the wings where the servos/RX goes? (width and height where the RX would go.)

I asked Value Hobby and they gave me a non-answer.

Looking to see if I can get an Apprentice SAFE RX inside there.

Thanks!
PHerder is online now Find More Posts by PHerder
Old Jun 27, 2015, 06:44 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHerder View Post
Bill, can you measure the area under the wings where the servos/RX goes? (width and height where the RX would go.)

I asked Value Hobby and they gave me a non-answer.

Looking to see if I can get an Apprentice SAFE RX inside there.

Thanks!
Sure, How's this??...Looks like lots of room to me I'm putting my RX in the 1.50" X 2.625" area! (not sure how big the SAFE Rx is though)??

...Bill
Old Jun 27, 2015, 07:17 PM
Joined Nov 2004
273 Posts
Thank You!

Exactly what I was looking for! The case of the SAFE RX is 2.07" long, 1.13" wide and .56" tall.

On the picture, I have also noted the antenna stubs that hold the antenna leads from the case of the RX. They stick out ~ 3/16" and have to be accounted for (along with the antennas!) when mounting the SAFE RX. The measurements do not include those antenna stubs. The short antenna "normally" points forward and the long antenna gets put where ever I can get it to stay.

Due to the gyros, the SAFE has to be mounted so that it is flat thus the reasoning behind asking the size of the compartment that it would be mounted in. I had a Durafly foam Retro Ugly Stik (the one with the fake gas engine) and I just couldn't make the RX fit. My flying skills (or lack there of... ) make me use the SAFE RX to fly all kinds of planes that normally I would make kits out of (i.e. crash them into little pieces!) And yes, I monitor and participate in the SAFE RX in different airplane thread. I sold the foam Retro Ugly Stik before I did damage to it.

I have looked into this Value Hobby ARF in the past (they sell it on eBay also) but just didn't buy it due to my experience with the foam Retro Ugly Stik.

That may change with the knowledge you have provided!

Again, thank you!

Paul
Old Jun 27, 2015, 07:26 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
852 Posts
Quote:
Thank You!

Exactly what I was looking for! The case of the SAFE RX is 2.07" long, 1.13" wide and .56" tall.

On the picture, I have also noted the antenna stubs that hold the antenna leads from the case of the RX. They stick out ~ 3/16" and have to be accounted for (along with the antennas!) when mounting the SAFE RX. The measurements do not include those antenna stubs. The short antenna "normally" points forward and the long antenna gets put where ever I can get it to stay.

Due to the gyros, the SAFE has to be mounted so that it is flat thus the reasoning behind asking the size of the compartment that it would be mounted in. I had a Durafly foam Retro Ugly Stik (the one with the fake gas engine) and I just couldn't make the RX fit. My flying skills (or lack there of... ) make me use the SAFE RX to fly all kinds of planes that normally I would make kits out of (i.e. crash them into little pieces!) And yes, I monitor and participate in the SAFE RX in different airplane thread. I sold the foam Retro Ugly Stik before I did damage to it.

I have looked into this Value Hobby ARF in the past (they sell it on eBay also) but just didn't buy it due to my experience with the foam Retro Ugly Stik.

That may change with the knowledge you have provided!

Again, thank you!

Paul
Hi Paul, Assuming you would use electric power I think you could easily fit the SAFE Rx in the area where the (third, Throttle servo)would normally reside! the even larger area forward could also be used for a "flat" mounting location!

The Easy Stick is a pretty docile flier, but it is Balsa, and will sustain a fair amount of damage if crashed!!?? So SAFE technology, may be a good bet for you. and if it does take a dirt nap....Well its $70!!!

Bill
Old Jun 27, 2015, 07:38 PM
Joined Nov 2004
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZee View Post
Hi Paul, Assuming you would use electric power I think you could easily fit the SAFE Rx in the area where the (third, Throttle servo)would normally reside! the even larger area forward could also be used for a "flat" mounting location!

The Easy Stick is a pretty docile flier, but it is Balsa, and will sustain a fair amount of damage if crashed!!?? So SAFE technology, may be a good bet for you. and if it does take a dirt nap....Well its $70!!!

Bill
Yes, Bill, the $70 is a eye grabber... I have a few balsa/ply planes with the SAFE RX installed. Such as the Durafly Storch, a Value Hobby J-3 (71" wingspan!), a couple of L-19 Bird Dogs (3 so far ready to fly or have been flown with a SAFE RX), and a Mountain Models L-4 kit that I have built but haven't finished, yet. That one concerns me the most since I put so much time building it and it is so delicate (I seem to break the balsa pieces while handling it) that I am afraid one small opps and it would be back in kit form again... It too has a SAFE RX in it but it still has to land.

And I like to think of not being a worm killer, as opposed to a dirt nab...

Paul
Old Jun 27, 2015, 08:25 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
852 Posts
Quote:
Yes, Bill, the $70 is a eye grabber... I have a few balsa/ply planes with the SAFE RX installed. Such as the Durafly Storch, a Value Hobby J-3 (71" wingspan!), a couple of L-19 Bird Dogs (3 so far ready to fly or have been flown with a SAFE RX), and a Mountain Models L-4 kit that I have built but haven't finished, yet. That one concerns me the most since I put so much time building it and it is so delicate (I seem to break the balsa pieces while handling it) that I am afraid one small opps and it would be back in kit form again... It too has a SAFE RX in it but it still has to land.

And I like to think of not being a worm killer, as opposed to a dirt nab...

Paul
I think you would handle the Easy Stick (Ugly Stick) well, it's one step removed from a "Trainer" in my opinion, and should (in theory) fly even better with the "Stabilizer"!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 08:31 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
852 Posts
First Step completed, Ailerions installed!

Hi All,
Completed the first step....installation of the aileron's! Very straight forward, four CA hinges on each wing half! the wings and ailerons were already "slit" for the CA hinges, just needed to drill (with pin vise) a 1/16" dia. "wicking hole" for the glue, and let them set a minute or two! the instructions called for "thin CA" but I used the "medium" I had on hand!

seemed a little stiff but loosened up just fine when I exercised them a bit!!

Next step install aileron servo's and control linkages!
Old Jun 28, 2015, 09:59 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
852 Posts
Aileron Servo's, linkages installed!

I'm back,

Installed the ailerion servo's and linkages today. I used "Tork SA1811 metal gear analog" servo's from Value Hobby for the ailerons. They seem to fit the servo "cutouts" in the wings good (just a small amount of sanding was needed to get them to go in. the leads were just long enough to clear the wing exit holes, and I'll attach my "Y" harness outside the wing!

the linkage install was pretty straight forward. I have to say the linkage hardware supplied with the kit is different than what is shown in the instruction manual!?? it seems very "beefy" and a bit of "overkill" for a model this size. 5/64" rods, and large control horns with backing plates. Also provided were "EZ connectors" for the servo horns. can't set the throws and rates till later but seems like I'll have plenty of travel and adjustability if needed. Still need to trim protruding screw length on the top of the wing where the screws exit the backing plate

happy with the end result. Next step joining the two wing halves!!!
Last edited by NewZee; Jun 28, 2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:21 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
852 Posts
"Tail Feathers" mounted!

Hi All,

Well I glued on the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Went as expected just had to remove the "monokote" in the contact areas to allow for good epoxy adhesion.

Need to make sure everything is straight, true, and square. Also installed the "Rudder" and "Elevator" same procedure as the ailerons, CA hinges etc.

I did have a minor issue installing the tail wheel, needed to bend the wire and cut, and I made the bend in the wrong spot!!?? (dumb mistake), no worries as I just bent up a new one out of 5/64" piano wire I had on hand! The wheel strut is glued to the rudder before the rudder is secured to the vertical stabilizer.

Next Step.....install Rudder & Elevator Servo's and control linkages
Old Jun 30, 2015, 07:36 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
852 Posts
Servo's and control linkages installed!

Hi All,
Got the rudder and elevator servo's and control linkages installed, used "Tork" SD1830 metal gear digital servo's for this (used analog on the ailerons). the installation was straight forward, , again I thought the supplied hardware was a bit stout for this sized plane, but "oh well".....

I blanked off the throttle servo hole with some 3/32 ply, and will mount the Rx here!

A few have complained (on value hobby reviews of this model) that the rods would "bind" inside the guides, but I saw no such problem, I took the time to ream out the exit holes for the rods.

I sett the Easy links on the third hole from the control surfaces, and have the EZ connectors on the servo's set 1/2" from the gear center (as stated in the instructions).

Next Step.....install motor!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:02 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
852 Posts
Motor Installation!

Hi All,
Time to mount the motor. I had a 35mm frame, 950kV Rimfire motor I thought would be perfect for this plane, (more on that later).

The kit comes with a nice plywood motor box, but the instructions show bolting the motor "X" mount directly to the firewall ("T" nuts). the "X" mount on my Rimfire motor did not line up with the "T" nuts, so I decided to use the plywood motor box for mounting.

since the box was "uncovered" I covered with Red Monokote first! it bolted directly to the firewall ("T" nuts) with hardware provided. then the motor was screwed into the front of the box with no issues (the "X" mount holes lined up perfectly with the printed mount holes on the front of the box).

this installation method pushed the motor forward by 1" but I think that might help me achieve the desired 65mm from LE CG without adding weight in the tail!?

I placed a 2200 mAh battery in the tray and did a quick check and it seems like it's real close.

Next Step.....install Rx, center servo's and control surfaces, check direction of motor rotation!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 05:03 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
852 Posts
Magic Smoke!!!

Well tossed a RX into the "Easy Stick" and bound to my Dx6i, centered servo's and checked rotation on the "Rimfire" motor. all was fine and then heard a "noise" from the motor!!! Kinda screetching!!?? and a second later smoke (and that sickening "smell" filled the air)

The motor was acquired in a "lot" of RC stuff I bought last year, I thought it was a good motor, but maybe that is why it was sitting in a box of used parts! There is always the chance it was OK and just now decided to burn up?

Ether way, a new motor is on order (Turnigy 3536, 950 kV) and on it's way from HK AR! so looks like the build completion, and maiden is on hold for a few days

I did mount the landing gear , and added a 3/32" ply re-enforcement under the fuse where the gear bolts on, and will add some additional plywood/epoxy inside the fuse as well! I also mounted some larger 2.250 wheels, as I'll be taking off and landing on short grass!
Old Jul 03, 2015, 08:34 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
852 Posts
Motor replaced, ready to maiden!

Hi All,
Well HK delivered a day early, so the new motor (Turnigy 3536/9, 910 kV) is installed! The "Easy Stick" is now ready to maiden.

the rest of the power system is as follows:
40 Amp Suppo ESC
12X6E APC prop
2200 mAh, 35C, 3S battery

Hope to get out to the field and maiden today! so stay tuned for some pics and video!
...Bill