HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:31 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,822 Posts
Build Log
Foamie full fuz F35 non VTOL foundations

Hi all. Been out of the loop for a little while now what with moving house and getting married. Got plenty to do before cutting and gluing occurs as well, like building the man shed that will become my new workshop.

I have quite a few other projects that got out on hold before large, expensive life changing events slapped me and my wallet across the face :P, a 15Kg lift hex & a 1/12 scale aerotech Lancaster kit. But this is all about a build I've fancied for a long time! And I've yet to do a scratch build that didn't have more than 4 rotors facing directly up at all times :P. I'm also heavily involved (for the last 4 years) in FPV and 3D Design with my Up! Plus 3D printer. I digress.

Name: image-4757bce5.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 48.5 KB
Description:

So I want to build an F35. Aside from the F15 it's my favourite looking jet, not to mention its cool features like VTOL and other technological advances. The issue I have is that I don't like the look of any kits available, and I can't really find any decent plans. So should it come to it, I'll draw my own.

Name: image.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 19.3 KB
Description:

I didn't fancy doing the F35B as Lockheed Martin struggled to get that beast airborne. And as I would like mine to be as realistic as possible. I also want to be able to fly it without constant brown trousers moments whenever I foolishly decide to hit the transition to vertical flight mode button. So I shall be doing the F35A. The 'B' can wait till the 'A' has some hours in the log book.

Name: image-ada57a76.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 35.0 KB
Description:

The plan as it stands consists of three main sections, wing panels and the fuz. The power plant will be a single EDF, possibly a 90mm Dr mad thrust but I guess that's a decision to be made a little further down the process.

Everyone seems to make these things from depron, a material not sold (as far as I'm aware) under that name in the UK (any pointers would be great). So if that isn't in healthy supply I can get sheets of EPP locally. Doubt I'll be firing up the vacuum pump and glassing gear for this one, I want to keep it light and floaty, but as they say, go big or go home. So I'm looking to have a W/S of about 5ft. Given the fullsize variant has a W/S if 35ft I guess the better number to work with would be 1/7th scale. The three view will help here .

I can't guarantee this thread will be as fast paced as some of the others on here at first, as the manshed ultimately need building before my knife touches foam, but I would love everyone's input and help with the project, I have followed many others and would love to join the scratch built ranks!

CJ

P.S. R.I.P. Dekan, your SD is still a much loved member of my fleet.
Carlos230023 is online now Find More Posts by Carlos230023
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:15 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,822 Posts
A few pictures for inspiration;

Heres a good reference chart for the 3 F35 Variants.
Name: avf35_4.png
Views: 47
Size: 14.5 KB
Description:

Pretty sure this is the F35C navy variant, bigger wingspan with folding tips for better efficiency. Pretty cool colour scheme as well!
Name: Folded wingtips.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 108.0 KB
Description:

Got to incorperate the hidden hard points, one of my favourite features of the F35
Name: sdd_f35testa_070_115.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 73.7 KB
Description:

And here is an overview against a few different planes to give a sense of scale. Interesting to see the difference of length of the three variants.
Name: USjetsTD.png
Views: 69
Size: 115.5 KB
Description:

CJ
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:14 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
3,751 Posts
The idea is a worthy one! I'll walk with you.

I live less than 3 miles from the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Center, which has the prototype STOVL on display. If you wish photographs, at some point, I'll be glad to take them. The plane is positioned so one can easily see the aircraft 10 feet away, at ground level, from the pilot's 10- to 4-o'clock.

david
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stogie FM 1955 12
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,822 Posts
That's an offer I can't refuse David! At your own convenience of course . I would love to see one in person but so far as I'm aware there arn't any on display in the UK.

CJ
Old Sep 21, 2013, 01:41 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
14,250 Posts
Also check out the -- VTOLs forum

Here's a thread I noticed down in the 'Similar Threads' list that may also help --

EDF Vtol F35 Design 3 bearing swivel duct
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 21, 2013, 06:43 PM
Joined Jun 2007
3,822 Posts
Thanks for the info eflightray. The F35A I plan to build in this thread will be STOL only. Though I will undoubtably move onto do a VTOL F35B should thin one be successful. I may even use this version, chop it in the right places to extend it to be the F35A's size and shape, and use that to make moulds for resin infusion moulding, that would be a nice light and strong airframe to build a VTOL system into . If you can find any plans with your thread searching skills they would be greatly appreciated!

CJ
Old Sep 22, 2013, 09:24 AM
Joined Jun 2013
533 Posts
you might wanna shoot this dude an E-mail...because he went through a lot of trial and error
for f-35 vtol.

The plans for the f-35 is free for down load on the rcpowers site, design to be a trainer.
He purposely designed in a lot of drag.

RC F-35 STOVL TEST 3 (Motor Test) (10 min 35 sec)

This guy too...
F-35 STOVL RC Jet (6 min 18 sec)

looks like he has the motor at the CG and just rotated it once he had enough altitude.
Notice the tail boom....to help the balance.
it cant be that hard to make a motor mount and glue it to a CF rod. it'll be the samething as using a rod
to connect elevators.lol Just assign it your flaps or retract channel.
Gyros on the pitch and roll axis during VTOL ...Turn it off when going to regular flight mode.
F35 Vtol - From Vertical Take Off to Horizontal Flight di Moreno Lippi (1 min 8 sec)
smcx66 is offline Find More Posts by smcx66
Last edited by smcx66; Sep 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:54 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,822 Posts
Lol. Again. Very useful stuff but this will be a build log of the F35A STOL. No VTOL planned for this one untill I get the plans and airframe right. Then ill look at modification to make a seperate F35B model. I'm after plans but I'm guessing most are for the VTOL version. It's the lines on the nose and the air intake ducts that will give me the biggest headache I think :P.

CJ
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Jun 2013
533 Posts
it's free...it's a floater trainer.
It'll be a great tool for you to build around and modify to your needs
You can even use DTF....cuase you're going to build more than one.lol
To test and experiment VTOL or whatever
RC Powers 100% scale F-35 dollar tree foam (5 min 9 sec)

parkjets...

http://www.parkjets.com/f-35/
http://www.parkjets.com/f-35-profile/

You might try downloading instructions for the Shumate f-22 or f-16 build..it'll show you how to make a more scale looking
fuselage...The Shumate f-22 plan shows you how to make a simple thrust vectoring motor mount and set up.

If you spray windex on DTF...you can bend it or curve it easy before it dries.
Or you can heat it a little..use a blow drier.

The easiest way Ive found to get the front end to look more scale is to simply carv and sand the nose section
with regular styro foam. just sholve a dowel in it..to give it strength for nose impac. and something to gule it on to.lol

You might also look into hydro plane plans...it'll give you a better idea of how certain nose pieces should look like
because it's kind of like a hual of a boat
smcx66 is offline Find More Posts by smcx66
Last edited by smcx66; Sep 22, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Jun 2007
3,822 Posts
Progress. After a bit of rummaging I managed to track down Parkjets.com
They have a fantastic database of free plans for the F35 (Looks like the 'A' Variant) and other models online. There is also a build log here; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302244

Granted its for a 21' W/S but its a start! Now I need to try and scale this up for a 60" W/S, add some detail, retracts, more fuz ribs and a few other bits. I figure for air ducting I can design and print a 'Y' section for the fan intake so as to draw from both intakes on the front. A well designed duct will add efficiency to the EDF so I figure why not print it. It will also prevent what happened on my HK EPS global hawk (I slung a 1000watt Lander unit in there and it collapsed the air intake duct :P, foam everywhere!). Let the designing begin!

CJ

P.S. Got the first railway sleeper dug in for the man shed last night. not as difficult as I had previously thought. Progress may speed up on that front soon .
Old Feb 11, 2015, 03:52 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,453 Posts
saucer

think I could use same lay out of VTO for flying saucer
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Feb 15, 2015, 04:58 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,822 Posts
Sounds good. No progress this end. Life happened :P. In a better position to make a start now than I was mind you. Workshop is fully functional. And the tech available nowadays is ten times better than it was (especially small motors with the advent of 250 sized multis). Still love the F35!

CJ