SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:31 PM
Joined Jan 2015
1 Posts
Question
Battery suggestion

Hi people!
I am completely new to the multirotor world and I am assembling my first hexacopter now! And it goes like this.
1.Frame - Flame wheel f550
2.Flight controller- Pixhawk
3.ESC - 15A OPTO ESCs
4.Motor- 920kv
I am planning to have a GPS, IMU, camera and and some sonar sensors installed on it.

What will be an ideally good battery for this application? I am planning to get a 4S Lipo 5500 mAh 40C battery.
Will it give me a good flight time?

Is there any math to calculate the flight time that can be obtained approximately?

Also need a suggestion for Rc transmitter and receiver to be used with Pixhawk fc?
mugesh is online now Find More Posts by mugesh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 03:42 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum

You're new to the multirotor world, but are you new to RC flying in general? My feeling is you're planning to commit too much money if you haven't flown before.

Having said that, to respond to your questions, how much flight time your proposed battery will give you depends on what payload you're carrying. The only way to calculate or estimate the flight duration is to know how many amps your setup will consume in the hover, and that depends mainly on its weight. I think that 5000-or-so mAh is a good starting point though.

As for radio gear, you need any transmitter/receiver that has at least six channels -- probably more if you want full control of your camera. I use Futaba myself, but pick any good name brand (Spektrum, Hitec, Frsky, etc.) and you'll find plenty of people who swear by them

You'd be better asking further questions in the dedicated multirotor sub-forum by the way
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jan 22, 2015, 07:45 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugesh View Post
Hi people!
I am completely new to the multirotor world and I am assembling my first hexacopter now! And it goes like this.
1.Frame - Flame wheel f550
2.Flight controller- Pixhawk
3.ESC - 15A OPTO ESCs
4.Motor- 920kv

Please provide a link to all of the above items.

You have to give more motor specifications than that. Voltage? Maximum amps?

I am planning to have a GPS, IMU, camera and some sonar sensors installed on it.

Sonar? I thought you said hexacopter, not submarine!

What will be an ideally good battery for this application? I am planning to get a 4S Lipo 5500 mAh 40C battery.

I'm confused. Your title is what is a good battery. Now you state what you are going to use???

Will it give me a good flight time?

Who knows? What is the gross weight of the aircraft? What is the average current draw of the motors and additional electronics?

Is there any math to calculate the flight time that can be obtained approximately?

Yes there is. IIRC it is AH/60xA
(AmpHour of the battery divided by 60 times the current in Amps = flight time in minutes.)

Also need a suggestion for Rc transmitter and receiver to be used with Pixhawk fc?
I am going to provide some advice. You obviously are new to this area of RC. You would be much better off starting with a proven system. You are allowing to many variables into your system to have a reasonable measure of success.

As noted above always provide full specifications and links to equipment you reference. Without that information any answers you receive contain a significant amount of speculation.

But at any rate, Good Luck.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1