HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2006, 01:55 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,145 Posts
Discussion
Super Sportster 40 Conversion

I thought I would kick off this thread as I just started picking away at my venerable 19 year old SS 40.
I built this when I was 17, it was my second kit, behind the GP electri-cub. This thing hasn't been in the air in 17 years, and has seen some serious hangar rash, but is structurally sound.
I ripped the covering off and have taken the Enya 45 out. Those solid blocks of balsa I took off the front end only add up to 50 grams, or 1.75 oz. far less than I expected.
I will be going with 8S on this, mainly because those are the packs I use in my Logo 10 heli. The packs fit, but I will have to move the servos back a wee bit. I plan to make a top access hatch for the battery.
This conversion will likely drag on for a while as time is limited and I have a few other projects on the go, but I will follow through to the end.
I plan on using the Aero-Nuts 4130-405 and a CC HV 45 I will prop it for 40A Max That will give me 1200 watts max which will be PLENTY for the SS.
Suggestions, comments etc, highly welcomed.
Zoe has some ideas of her own too!
Yukonho is offline Find More Posts by Yukonho
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2014, 11:35 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,145 Posts
How ironic that on a whim, exactly 8 years later to the day, I decided to look up that old post I started when I began to rebuild my SS-40!
I have done a bit of work on the plane, but a lot else has happened since I took these pics!
Old Nov 02, 2014, 07:26 AM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Sep 2007
129 Posts
kids

Enjoy the kids while you can. There don't stay little long. Time flies when you having fun.
Allen
georgeair is online now Find More Posts by georgeair
Old Nov 02, 2014, 08:36 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Mar 2013
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukonho View Post
How ironic that on a whim, exactly 8 years later to the day, I decided to look up that old post I started when I began to rebuild my SS-40!
I have done a bit of work on the plane, but a lot else has happened since I took these pics!
LOL! Well now I feel better about the Balsa USA Enforcer I started on Christmas Vacation last winter then when I got about 90% complete I got frustrated and hung it up on the wall and have not finished it yet! Hell it's only been 11 months! I am totally amateur at procrastinating next to you! Thank you! Thank you so much!

(Now if I would just finish that Phaeton 90 I started in the late 80's I would have no shame at all!)
numb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by numb_thumbs
Last edited by numb_thumbs; Nov 02, 2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2014, 08:40 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Mar 2013
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeair View Post
Enjoy the kids while you can. There don't stay little long. Time flies when you having fun.
Allen
Yeah I would note that when the kids are gone like mine you REALLY have time for modeling! In fact, it is often the only thing you have to do! (believe it or not!)

So enjoy the kids now then in about 10-15 years (by the looks of them) you can finish that SS-40 !
numb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by numb_thumbs
Old Nov 03, 2014, 12:06 AM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,145 Posts
Thanks guys.
And if you count how long that plane has been slated for rebuild...(since 1990!!) it is a long time coming! And I am not slowing down now though, I am on a roll!
The kids are the same story, like the plane and me, a work in progress.
Enjoying every second of it all.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:09 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,145 Posts
Knocked a bit more off on this conversion. Very happy with the wing fillets and new cowling. All smooth and clean lookin'!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 01:26 PM
United States, MI, Blissfield
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
Looking good.

I need to get started on mine. Crashed it 15-ish years ago and never finished repairing it.

I also have kits for SS 20, SS 40, and a SS 40 Bipe that I want to build for electric. I may do the SS 20 or SS 40 as a twin engine.
dgieg is online now Find More Posts by dgieg
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:50 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,145 Posts
Thanks dgieg
I've always like the looks of the bipe.
Building season is upon us, so get at it!
Is it already electric? What is your setup?
I am still picking away at this. Need to find a set of retracts, and I will have all the components I need, then it is just a matter of taking the time to finish it up.... no wonder ARF's are so popular! But the fact is, I love building, and love having a unique plane that I am proud to have built.