New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2015, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by Roddie
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
215 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuild

Hi guys, completed the second aileron installation, connected the wings together and tried the movement. Looks OK just a bit of fine tuning to get them to move the same amount at the same time. But it works ok.

Started gluing the R5 extensions using a former to hold them at 5 deg. When I have both R5 extensions glued, will reconnect the wings together and check the distance between the extensions. Hopefully they wilt be parallel (top to bottom) which will confirm that the wings are held at 5 deg. by the carbon tubes and the R5 extensions are also correctly at 5 deg. (but opposite angle to the wings bringing them vertical).

Photos show the progress. All best Rod
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2015, 04:17 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
215 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuild

Hi all, when I have time, continued with the wing build. I have reached the point where I stopped last time. But this time it all fits together, so from here on its all new.

I checked the distance between the two Rib 5 and it was within 0.25 mm (not sure of the imperial measurement) top to bottom. I then fitted the engine mounts, engines, front nacelle, and started the (removable) rear nacelle, (using plywood Bruce). Doing this before the under-carriage as I need the nacelle to make sure my design will fit.

All best and enjoy the photos. Rod
Old Feb 25, 2015, 05:15 AM
Find More Posts by splinterz25
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,782 Posts
Looks fantastic; great fit on the cowling....Your really moving along now.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Mar 05, 2015, 07:04 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
215 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuild

Thanks Bruce, I am sticking close to the BT's plan and things are just fitting. Its a good feeling.

I continued with the rebuild of the rear Nacelle, still finalizing the design but I have come up with one that works. The Flap servo mounting I had to modify slightly but it OK now. Cut the Rear Nacelle ribs 4 -5 with a bit extra on the sides so I have some to play with later for the outside shape. Have the Rib 5A finished and will cut a second for the other Nacelle. also the %b the nacelle extension. Now working on the small ribs at the rear of the Nacelle. Remember I want this nacelle to be completely removable.

So far nothing is glued yet. Till I have all the ribs completed. Outside shapes as well. Then I can cut the second set, making the other Rear Nacelle a lot easier.

The timber is called "LitePly: its balsa plywood.

All Best Rod
Old Mar 16, 2015, 01:24 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
215 Posts
Mossie Wing Build

Guys, been a bit occupied as we have decided to look for another house. We downsized a bit too far and now need a bit more space. Still when home, I get in a do a bit. Had several goes at the rear Nacelle shape and now starting to progress. The Photos show it all even a OOpps where I pushed a bit to hard and snapped the former.

Once all the location points are finished ready for the skin. Will probably make the small flares with several layered .5 mm balsa sheets. (I have some and it real flexible)

While the Balsa ply is light it is not particularly strong on the fine stuff.

All best Rod
Last edited by Roddie; Mar 16, 2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:27 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,782 Posts
Really taking shape now Roddie I don't want to thinking about moving we also may be doing this before to long.

Bruce
Old Mar 22, 2015, 01:01 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
215 Posts
Mossie Wing Build

Thanks Bruce, I am getting in to the part where I have not completed before, so its becoming new for me. Will start developing the wheel flap doors (have the fiber glass set but need to work on the opening mechanism etc.). When I finish the second wing rear nacelle, I will start on the Under Carriage. Have a few ideas so a bit of development work first. .

Continued on the Rear Nacelle and have one side sheeted. Very happy as its looking good. The photos show the progress.

All best Rod
Old Mar 22, 2015, 07:01 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,782 Posts
Liken it

Bruce
Old Mar 27, 2015, 01:52 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
215 Posts
Mossie Wing Build

Thanks Bruce , me too. I had an afternoon so I managed a bit more. I now have come to the undercarriage doors. Now I must think about these and how to fit them. Will look at a few other builds to see how they did it.

Will now build the other wing (while I investigate the undercarriage doors) and as its the same as this one I will only show the finished product.

All best Rod
Last edited by Roddie; Mar 27, 2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 01:42 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
215 Posts
Mossie Wing Build

Well for those who look at this thread occasionally, an update on current Mossie wing build progress. There is the (nearly finished) first rear nacelle and some of the second showing the servo location problem.

The Photos tell the story, enjoy

All best Rod