New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by frankg
Joined Dec 2004
4,323 Posts
Greg- I am sorry to hear about the imprinting of the fiberglass cloth coming thru the finish. The one thing I have done on all my builds to completely seal all wood surfaces, inside and out, with thinned epoxy resin to prevent water incursion into unfinished wood.
No matter how good the outside finish build up is, if water or moisture enters the wood from anywhere, you will get movement in the wood and in extreme cases, discoloration of the finish.

I have models which are now thirty or forty years old, that are not trailer queens, and are run in both fresh and salt water, which except for the occasional washing and waxing, look as good today as when first finished. All most all of my models were given the ultimate test, being tossed around in hurricane SANDY, and except for replacing fittings which were knocked off and electronics which had to be replaced, look as good as new on the finishes.

A point and case is the Dumas 24’ runabout which took a header from a top shelf in the flood picture at bottom of page, (SINGING WOOD)

frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2015, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by californiakid
United States, NJ, Atlantic City
Joined Nov 2010
812 Posts
Damage Control

Greg, keep us posted, I am sorry to hear about this but keep your chin up.
californiakid is online now Find More Posts by californiakid
Old Nov 22, 2015, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
694 Posts
Thanks for the condolences, guys. Coating the interior of the boat is certainly one take away from this experience. Patmat makes a good point about the limitations of epoxy or urethane in preventing moisture ingress. I didn't mention that many of the brass "fasteners" had become slightly recessed as well. That didn't bother me because it actually made the surface appear more like the real boat. Again, the wood swelled and the brass did not. All of the brass pins protruding through the interior surface make it just that much more difficult to seal the surface. If I ever use brass wire to simulate fasteners again, I will push the wires back out until they are flush with the inside surface of the planking before gluing them in place. That will make it much easier to apply a uniform seal coat to the interior of the hull. I know that the urethane I applied to the interior has not formed a complete seal against moisture. I can only hope that the coating slows down moisture movement in and out of the planking. I will certainly think twice about single planking another boat in the future. Multiple layers of wood, laminated with cross grains, give much better protection against this type of movement in the planking.
GPR is offline Find More Posts by GPR
Old Nov 23, 2015, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by Tim B.
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Aug 2009
10,980 Posts
Originally Posted by californiakid View Post
Greg, keep us posted
Yes please do keep us posted ~
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.