SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:05 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepheus View Post
Looks like I've just joined the club!!!! The motor took off in 4 different directions. Using a 4 cell obviously helped in my nice new planes first taste of entropy. Managed to piece the mount to-gether and fixed with West system epoxy and glass. It wont happen again??? Waiting on a new cowl and spinner, fixing the damage to tail wheel and rudder.
Are you from Missouri?
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:45 PM
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Looks like I've just joined the club!!!! The motor took off in 4 different directions. Using a 4 cell obviously helped in my nice new planes first taste of entropy. Managed to piece the mount to-gether and fixed with West system epoxy and glass. It wont happen again??? Waiting on a new cowl and spinner, fixing the damage to tail wheel and rudder.
Yep thats exactly what mine looked like, bummer dude, at least you don't have to replace the motor, must have fell on something soft. LOL
TheBlood+ is offline Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:57 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
I live in Vancouver BC, although I'm really from Australia and do spend some time there. Yes the motor pieces all landed on grass but the fuse hit tarmac.
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:32 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
I live in Vancouver BC, although I'm really from Australia and do spend some time there. Yes the motor pieces all landed on grass but the fuse hit tarmac.
Just crack'n a yankee joke bro Sorry for the carnage. I would recommend getting a new motor box, not repair that one.
While your at it go for the Thrust 40, 3s 2200mAh, ICE 50 lite ESC.
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:47 AM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
Since I am having a spot of trouble with my quantum ESC, I think I may try the ICE 50 Lite, too, rather than buying another Quantum ESC. Having the data logger capability seems to be a real plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. Hooper View Post
Just crack'n a yankee joke bro Sorry for the carnage. I would recommend getting a new motor box, not repair that one.
While your at it go for the Thrust 40, 3s 2200mAh, ICE 50 lite ESC.
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:28 AM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
My AMR fell off my wall (hung by fishing line from landing gear) and broke the tail. I have to remove the elev. and rudder. Anything i need to know before doing this. Never have had to do this but it looks pretty simple. Just going to cut the stab out from the fuse with a dremmel. Sucks because i have flown this plane so many times and not a scratch on it. Leave it to falling off the wall!!!!!!! LOL
Thanks, Eric
eschult is offline Find More Posts by eschult
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:09 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschult View Post
My AMR fell off my wall (hung by fishing line from landing gear) and broke the tail. I have to remove the elev. and rudder. Anything i need to know before doing this. Never have had to do this but it looks pretty simple. Just going to cut the stab out from the fuse with a dremmel. Sucks because i have flown this plane so many times and not a scratch on it. Leave it to falling off the wall!!!!!!! LOL
Thanks, Eric

If you only have to remove the elevator and the rudder it is simple, just use straight edge razor. If you have to remove horizontal and vertical stab it will be a little more. If so, my advise would be to use dremel and cut most of it off first without trying to get to close. You may need to cut several times on each piece to get closer and closer. That way the dremel will not do any damage.

Also, shoot me a pm if interested and I will send pics of how I hold my planes on wall. It is very simple and effective.
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:13 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,606 Posts
I think everyone would be interested in seeing your storage system (at least I would as well); would send me a pic, or just post one up? I dont think anyone would mind as it is beneficial for all, IMO.

Dang lots of recent carnage... my condolences to those who took hits this week.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:20 AM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
+1... Post it up, Dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I think everyone would be interested in seeing your storage system (at least I would as well); would send me a pic, or just post one up? I dont think anyone would mind as it is beneficial for all, IMO.

Dang lots of recent carnage... my condolences to those who took hits this week.
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:43 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,961 Posts
Regarding removing the stabiliser.. A normal modelling knife or scalpel should do the job and will inflict much less collateral damage than a Dremel. It's only balsa that you need to cut after all.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:58 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,353 Posts
my AMR *should* be back in the air this weekend just need to install and mount the new esc
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:35 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
If you only have to remove the elevator and the rudder it is simple, just use straight edge razor. If you have to remove horizontal and vertical stab it will be a little more. If so, my advise would be to use dremel and cut most of it off first without trying to get to close. You may need to cut several times on each piece to get closer and closer. That way the dremel will not do any damage.

Also, shoot me a pm if interested and I will send pics of how I hold my planes on wall. It is very simple and effective.
The only thing that cracked was the elevator but it looks like i have to take the rudder to get to it. I guess I do not have to pull the horizontal stab off if there is nothing wrong with it. I would just cut the hinge tape and replace.
Thanks,Eric
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:36 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post

Sent pm as yes I would like to see your storage set-up.

Thanks,Eric
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:50 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
7,007 Posts
Airplane Storage

OK, here you go.... Of course I have seen a lot fancier jobs than this, but this was cheap, quick and easy. It also seems to allow for a fair amount of planes hung per square foot of wall WITHOUT taking up half of the room. The hangers are from the Home DeeePoe....
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:00 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
7,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschult View Post
The only thing that cracked was the elevator but it looks like i have to take the rudder to get to it. I guess I do not have to pull the horizontal stab off if there is nothing wrong with it. I would just cut the hinge tape and replace.
Thanks,Eric
Oh yeah, That is a simple job. Just get a fresh Xacto and cut the hinges for the rudder and remove, then do the same for the rudder. It can be a bit of a PITA if you have to put new hinges in the same slots as the old ones, you have to do your best to cut in the with the xacto and work the glue and old hinge free. If you can simply move you hinge points over a bit it is much easier. Definitely do not use the dremel for any of this!